Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

CT is a bellend, let's get that straight, but there's something to be said for his don't worry, be happy approach. All this wailing and gnashing of teeth, but truth be told, there's been no discernible change in my day to day life since the referendum.

I'm sure I'm fortunate in that regard, but I bet there are others on here who've seen no change but can't shut up about how ruined we all are. I know Dickie got fucked and Rayvin had a heavy day of apologising to get through but the rest of you can zip it. Just fucking chill out basically.

The point is that we haven't left yet. There's no point in bitching and moaning after the fact. The country needs to be saved from itself and the good posters of Toontastic are its only hope.

in 10 years or so, we'll probably be alright. depends on what sort of country we want to be. i son't like the sound of pulling up the drawbridge mind to stop foreign labour. 

in 10 years or so, we'll probably be alright. depends on what sort of country we want to be. i son't like the sound of pulling up the drawbridge mind to stop foreign labour.

We're getting on to 10 years since the crash, and things are still fucked, so I think you're being over optimistic. There are huge issues to come with pensions etc. The Tories have at least another 8 years to go. I really don't like the way the country is heading. If Gemmill doesn't like it he can stick his baguette up his arse. :)

CT is a bellend, let's get that straight, but there's something to be said for his don't worry, be happy approach. All this wailing and gnashing of teeth, but truth be told, there's been no discernible change in my day to day life since the referendum.

I'm sure I'm fortunate in that regard, but I bet there are others on here who've seen no change but can't shut up about how ruined we all are. I know Dickie got fucked and Rayvin had a heavy day of apologising to get through but the rest of you can zip it. Just fucking chill out basically.

FFS :lol:

That was a bad day though...

Is there anything Renton won't get hysterical about? Once he comes out from under that desk... :lol:

*Sips Chai latte.

Wait a minute. It was you and HF getting hysterical about the CIA snooping on your emails, I was completely relaxed about. Gemmill then falsely suggested I was terrified of terrorism, cos he's a tit head, basically.

While I might be alright in my relatively sheltered middle class existence that isn't the case for everyone. And the repercussions will affect us all either directly or indirectly, whether it's business, consumers, government departments or whatever. We have voted for a collapse in our currency. Everything we import - like NHS medicine for example - has just become a lot more expensive. It's tempting to stick your head in the clouds and adopt an 'I'm alright jack' BAU attitude but this shit is real and canny depressing as it could have been easily avoided, if our politicians weren't such cunts.

Wait a minute. It was you and HF getting hysterical about the CIA snooping on your emails, I was completely relaxed about. Gemmill then falsely suggested I was terrified of terrorism, cos he's a tit head, basically.

You are shit scared of terrorists, that's not a false suggestion. Terrorists and sterling have got you hiding under the covers at night.

While I might be alright in my relatively sheltered middle class existence that isn't the case for everyone. And the repercussions will affect us all either directly or indirectly, whether it's business, consumers, government departments or whatever. We have voted for a collapse in our currency. Everything we import - like NHS medicine for example - has just become a lot more expensive. It's tempting to stick your head in the clouds and adopt an 'I'm alright jack' BAU attitude but this shit is real and canny depressing as it could have been easily avoided, if our politicians weren't such cunts.

The point is though, as the people that will suffer most are the ones that keep voting in the Tories and more recently voted for Brexit, at some point you have to go "OK fuckwits, here's that fucking giant shit sarnie you ordered. Bon appetit."

I'm not gonna stress out about this shit anymore. For two reasons. Firstly I can probably afford not to, but more importantly it doesn't make a blind bit of difference if I walk around with a furrowed brow with Brexit worries plaguing my day. I may as well just not do that, and things will turn out however they're going to turn out anyway.

Renton. Come out from under that table. The coast is clear.

The sharp costs of Brexit will be felt soon enough

by: Rupert Pennant-Rea

With apologies for asking the question yet again, what will the economic effects of the UK leaving the EU be? In the past fortnight, Brexit supporters have started to claim their optimism is being justified by a buoyant stock market and strong figures for jobs and shop sales.

If Britain in August participated in anything resembling political debate, “What was all the fuss about?” would probably have been the prevailing argument. The only honest answer to the question of Brexit’s effects is “Don’t know”, at least with any precision.

But the strongest clue has not come from the stock market or July’s unemployment and retail sales but from the currency markets. There, the message has been consistent and its implications have still to sink in.

On June 23, the day of the referendum, sterling reached a high of $1.50 and €1.31 shortly after polls closed. It then plummeted, and has since averaged at about $1.30 and €1.18. In trade-weighted terms, the pound is down more than 15 per cent from its level a year ago, when David Cameron, then prime minister, started the renegotiations that would lead to the referendum.

The foreign exchange markets are not always a reliable witness. They can be skittish, and their daily movements are sometimes impenetrable. But when rates move sharply and then settle for more than a month without second thoughts, their judgment shouldn’t be ignored. It is backed not by punditry but by many billions of dollars from in and outside the UK, so deserves more attention than it has been getting.

In essence, the currency markets are saying that all UK assets are worth less than they used to be. Land, property, companies, bank deposits, government debt — everything in the UK has been marked down against the rest of the world. Although the FTSE 100 has boomed, that is largely because its component companies earn most of their revenue and profits outside the UK.

Why do these international valuations matter to the average British household? Not many people are old enough to remember Harold Wilson’s fallacious message to the electorate when his government devalued sterling in 1967. “The pound in your pocket”, he claimed reassuringly, would not be devalued. Of course it was, and it has been again in the past two months, as every British holiday-maker abroad has already discovered.

But nobody should imagine that the traveller’s experience is an isolated exception. Indirectly, all Britons go abroad every day — to buy oil, food, clothes, Hollywood movies and much more. Imports are equal to roughly 30 per cent of UK gross domestic product, and if their cost goes up because of the vote to leave the EU, it is only a matter of time before everybody will be poorer.

The mechanism by which Britons will get poorer is through prices rising more than wages — in other words, a real-wage cut. That would cement the effects of a cheaper pound, and in a textbook world, sterling’s real devaluation would then make exports more competitive, so their volume would blossom while that of imports shrunk. In which case, Britain’s large trade deficit would fall; the economy would start to be rebalanced; in due course foreigners would be so impressed that they would again favour the pound, and its international purchasing power would gradually be restored.

The snag with this happy prognosis is that it hasn’t happened before, at least not on a lasting basis. Seventy years ago the pound could buy $4.03, and it has been devalued periodically since then. Each devaluation produced a temporary fall in the real exchange rate, but it was not long before domestic costs started rising faster than the costs of Britain’s trading partners, and the advantage eroded.

Will this time be different? There is no reason to think so. In fact, a devaluation-powered improvement in Britain’s trade will be even harder to achieve if Brexit is reducing access to the EU’s single market and no alternative export markets have opened up to make good the difference. In which case, the message from the foreign exchanges is bleak. The British have become poorer than they were before the votes were counted on June 23, and that reality will become clearer as the months go by. Just when real incomes had started to recover from the sharp squeeze of 2009-14, they will be set back again.

The holidaymakers returning from abroad have already tasted what is to come. Whether getting poorer is what 52 per cent of the June 23 voters wanted or expected, it is what is happening.

The writer is a former deputy governor of the Bank of England and is chairman at Royal London

That, to be fair, is a very strong argument. The only counter to which appears to be the paragraph which indicates that there is potential for FDI to go back up due to the weak pound. But that said, it also explains why this is unlikely.

It does make you think that Gemmill has the right approach mind. The people who voted for this deserve it.

Edited by Rayvin

The state has just decided that foreign experts will now no longer have their views accepted as contributions towards forming government policy on Brexit:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/07/lse-brexit-non-uk-experts-foreign-academics

What the fuck is going on man, this is a clear move to 'other' everyone who isn't British. This is exactly the sort of bullshit that most of us were worried the Tories would start doing, the bigoted fucking pricks.

Edited by Rayvin

The state has just decided that foreign experts will now no longer have their views accepted as contributions towards forming government policy on Brexit:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/07/lse-brexit-non-uk-experts-foreign-academics

What the fuck is going on man, this is a clear move to 'other' everyone who isn't British. This is exactly the sort of bullshit that most of us were worried the Tories would start doing, the bigoted fucking pricks.

Am I allowed to be troubled by this or do I have to continue happily grinning like a delta class citizen from brave new world (I.e like CT) and act like it's BAMFU?

Am I allowed to be troubled by this or do I have to continue happily grinning like a delta class citizen from brave new world (I.e like CT) and act like it's BAMFU?

You'll need to start wearing a nappy soon.