Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The best thing about all that sort of shit is that Germany don't even consider us to be rivals in a footballing sense. Which, of course, we aren't.

Well most people would be opposed to this kind of military federalism on principle, including me. It would also be a threat to NATO at worst and an extra layer of redundancy at best.

In the EU, the UK would have vetoed this to death. Outside the EU, we're powerless. Great.

It would be costly and C&C would be cumbersome and mired in all these languages and tactical ideas. The EU wants it is enough for me to think it's a bad thing. Vanity project. NATO does the business and has proved very resilient over time with embedded infrastructure. Wether you talk to signalling chaps here in Germany or early warning stuff set up in Eastern Europe its about as close to economies of scale as one could hope for. NATO is only designed to hold out for a week anyway if Russia invades before the Americans can start the airlift and mobilize all its bases. War games currently show that NATO would survive 3 days. :lol:

What is everyone so afraid of an EU army for, exactly? How is that any different to a series of smaller armies who would, if Europe was ever invaded, fight collectively against the opposing force? Other than that the latter model would be considerably less efficient.

If Russia really went for it by my reckoning we'd have to go nuclear within days. They would be in Germany within 3 days (according to war games).

If Russia really went for it by my reckoning we'd have to go nuclear within days. They would be in Germany within 3 days (according to war games).

People should never underestimate the importance of nuclear deterrence. We'd have had 2 or 3 extra sold wars without it by now.

Saying that I'm not sure the Russian military are as powerful as they once were. I reckon we'd last 5 days.

People should never underestimate the importance of nuclear deterrence. We'd have had 2 or 3 extra sold wars without it by now.

Saying that I'm not sure the Russian military are as powerful as they once were. I reckon we'd last 5 days.

6 depending on the flow of vodka. :lol:

Which war games are these?

You can get the sheets and ruffle them and make mountains and colour bits blue for the sea. Then add troops to the scenario and let dice do the rest. ;)

Remember Italian tanks go backwards and French troops have long lunch breaks so again penalties apply.

Missiles jump territories depending on range and use 3 dice for damage.

Edited by Park Life

You can get the sheets and ruffle them and make mountains and colour bits blue for the sea. Then add troops to the scenario and let dice do the rest. ;)

Remember Italian tanks go backwards and French troops have long lunch breaks so again penalties apply.

Missiles jump territories depending on range and use 3 dice for damage.

Don't forget that Kamchatka to Alaska is a valid move.

Don't forget that Kamchatka to Alaska is a valid move.

It's crucial to annexe Australasia first, only one border so easy to defend and gain 2 troops per turn, not to be sniffed at. Then again south America gives you potential for movement into the north of the continent.

Which bit in particular that hasn't already been argued to death on here?

I'm honestly not sure you've ever addressed these issues before, let alone argued them to death? I thought this was an okay at a glance summary of some of our trading issues. I realise its BAU and all going to be fantastic, but then I read stuff from experts and it makes me a bit worried. Can you reassure me this article is all factually incorrect?

I'm honestly not sure you've ever addressed these issues before, let alone argued them to death? I thought this was an okay at a glance summary of some of our trading issues. I realise its BAU and all going to be fantastic, but then I read stuff from experts and it makes me a bit worried. Can you reassure me this article is all factually incorrect?

Of course it's not factually correct, it's an opinion piece which is why he uses words like improbable.

It's full of stuff that's been discussed to death during the campaign and I have no will to type for half an hour to any link you stick up.

As I've offered, by all means pick out any items and I'll answer or link to my previous answer. :)

Of course it's not factually correct, it's an opinion piece which is why he uses words like improbable.

It's full of stuff that's been discussed to death during the campaign and I have no will to type for half an hour to any link you stick up.

As I've offered, by all means pick out any items and I'll answer or link to my previous answer. :)

There are plenty of unarguable actual facts in the article and opinions what it will mean for the UK and Europe. Honestly, these issues were hardly touched in the campaign which is one of my major concerns. Even today we have Davis, the fucking minister of Brexit, seemingly unaware we can't negotiate singularly with EU nations. It'd be laughable if it wasn't so serious.

In fairness, I wasn't expecting a detailed response from you, more trying to tease from you that there are a lot of concerns ahead and it certainly isn't BAU. But fair enough, in a way I am jealous of your sunny disposition. Hope you're still happy in 5 years, hope I am too.

There are plenty of unarguable actual facts in the article and opinions what it will mean for the UK and Europe. Honestly, these issues were hardly touched in the campaign which is one of my major concerns. Even today we have Davis, the fucking minister of Brexit, seemingly unaware we can't negotiate singularly with EU nations. It'd be laughable if it wasn't so serious.

In fairness, I wasn't expecting a detailed response from you, more trying to tease from you that there are a lot of concerns ahead and it certainly isn't BAU. But fair enough, in a way I am jealous of your sunny disposition. Hope you're still happy in 5 years, hope I am too.

More to the point, according to that article, we can't even negotiate with anyone until we're actually out.

More to the point, according to that article, we can't even negotiate with anyone until we're actually out.

It's a point I was aware of and made on here a while back. Article 50 is the divorce. We aren't allowed to even flirt with other countries while we undergo it let alone marry them. Nee fingers or owt. I fully expect the divorce won't be amicable when the wife has 27 split personalities.

I wonder if anyone has bothered to cost this exercise? At a time when the Tories have proudly slashed the civil service. Then apart from the financial cost, what about the opportunity cost? This will clog input legislature for years, maybe decades.