Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The British public have played a blinder here

2 political parties torn apart in a matter of days, neither of which want to really leave the EU but are supposed to run a country that does :lol:

so the tory leadership race is going to come down to a choice between gove, who in his own words, isn't equipped to be pm, teresa may, a remainer turned leaver, and that youngish bloke with the funny beard.

The Work and Pensions bloke is just 'look we're not just upper class' candidate. May only said she was a remainer because she wanted to back the winning side

What a sobering article. Whilst I don't expect a civil war, I do fear for the stability of the union and the resentment that is being unleashed. This has been the shittest of decades so far, and it keeps getting shitter.

We went to Croatia on holiday in 2013, I've never been so profoundly affected by anywhere in my life, we did a couple of day trips into Bosnia, the trip to Mostar is one I'll never forget a song as I I've,we were there round about the anniversary of the Srebenica massacre. I was brought up six miles into Scotland at the foot of the Cheviots, the independence referendum was a year away and the parallels in some ways were alarming. I agree armed hostilities are pretty unlikely to say the least, but that's only due to lack of weapons. It also has to be added that the paramilitaries in Northern Ireland were wandering into bars and slaughtering punters sat having a pint in the mid nineties when the Balkans were at war too. It just takes a bit more if this to turn the screw a bit more..

image_zpsveuqqb8n.jpeg

I was actually thinking the same thing, i.e. it's down to the gun laws rather than anything more 'civilised' about our country that makes the events in article Meenz posted unlikely to ever happen here.

A number of Tories seem genuinely shaken up about this, and betrayed by Gove. Both parties in civil war by the end of the week?

Won't happen. Tories are slick at this stuff. We'll be down to two by Thursday and then the charm offensive will begin.

Strangely enough, such a big decision and is being followed through, which means the party will not even be split on Europe any more.

Labour, if they ever sort this crisis, can't really oppose the Tories over Europe or they'll lose what's left of their heartlands.

A bit like post 2008, labours fumblings are going to allow the Tories to set the tone for the years ahead.

Won't happen. Tories are slick at this stuff. We'll be down to two by Thursday and then the charm offensive will begin.

Strangely enough, such a big decision and is being followed through, which means the party will not even be split on Europe any more.

Labour, if they ever sort this crisis, can't really oppose the Tories over Europe or they'll lose what's left of their heartlands.

A bit like post 2008, labours fumblings are going to allow the Tories to set the tone for the years ahead.

Labour lost vast swathes of the 'heartlands' to UKIP/SNP many moons ago but they pretended it didn't happen. Tories limited the damage to themselves by offering the referendum. No matter which way you cut it this is a mass revolt by significant sections of the populace and it began long before the referendum campaign.

Edited by Park Life

Labour lost vast swathes of the 'heartlands' to UKIP/SNP many moons ago but they pretended it didn't happen. Tories limited the damage by offering the referendum.

I agree. I thinking more of the ones they've got left.

I can't even see any splits leading to a left pro EU type of party as it's pretty clear from the vote map that outside of London and Scotland it wouldn't be entertained.

The way EU demographics works by concentrating wealth and ideation into smaller and smaller cantons - think Western Germany, Northern Italy, SE England it began to sow the seeds of its own destruction. It hasn't managed to redistribute wealth and opportunities fast enough to counterbalance this (one of its stated aims)...The short term results of its hegemony has finally clashed with its long term delusions.

Immigration brought down the Roman Empire because its over reach in grasping for taxes and tributes in the form of land out paced its ability to manage the periphery who simply just started to ignore the rules.

Immigrants who settled at the edges of the empire and over time further in simply stole land, ignored diktats (Germanic mainly) and overwhelmed the bureaucracy). It just got too expensive to keep sending armies out everywhere.

A balanced and cohesive Europe working together is a great idea but they just ran wild with it and expanded it too fast with little grasp of the realpoltik. You can do that you see if you don't have to answer to the people every few years. ;)

Edited by Park Life

And Conservatives going into 2020 possibly having delivered a successful Brexit would romp home.

All sounds very positive for you. Of course, it could go the other way, and we could see Labour implode and UKIP steal a march.

Either way, I have no long term interest in being governed by the Tories, so I'll continue with quitting the country. I bet this scenario you've just painted is going to chafe for the working class though :lol:

Edited by Rayvin

No need for UKIP if the Tories are delivering Brexit.

Funnily enough the ukip economic manifesto used to be quite left wing in places - if the leave areas are comfortable with the racism as it seems they are then ukip still has a chance if labour fail to get their act together.