Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think those comments were misinterpreted though. The Guardian clarified them to mean that the agreement between Sturgeon and Kahn was that both Scotland and London should be present for the Brexit negotiations. Not that both were seeking independence.

EDIT - although clearly Scotland are.

Edited by Rayvin

Depends on the specific situation. I think its a bit facile to point to the massive investments in Switzerland and say 'it hasnt harmed them' as in Switzerland (yes, this is true) companies negotiate their corporate tax rate with the Canton (not the government) based on employment predictions when setting up. Not exactly applicable to English / British law.

As saw from the $160bn deal with Pfizer and Allergan, its the domestic tax arrangement which drive corporate locations.

The EMA will have to move it's head quarters from London, if we leave the EEA (and if we don't leave, really, what was the point). That's 600 jobs gone. Also the unified patent office. But we'll still need the functionality of these bodies, so I expect things are just going to get more complicated and bureaucratic. Honestly this is a mess.

:lol:

It's been an illuminating morning. Things are calming down a bit now of course, so hopefully things end up more stable towards the end of the day, Merkel has just made a speech which I felt was more encouraging than scary, so that's a plus.

I think those comments were misinterpreted though. The Guardian clarified them to mean that the agreement between Sturgeon and Kahn was that both Scotland and London should be present for the Brexit negotiations. Not that both were seeking independence.

EDIT - although clearly Scotland are.

Taking a break from apologising to foreigners to correct an Englishman. You need to snap out of this.

Taking a break from apologising to foreigners to correct an Englishman. You need to snap out of this.

I don't regret, nor do I feel ashamed for, apologising to anyone over this - given how embarrassing it is.

Otherwise take the point though, I've reigned it in since this morning. The shock has worn off anyway and I'm now just really tired from not having slept. And a newly realised advocate of Scottish independence :lol:

Edited by Rayvin

I've heard people saying the voting should have included 16 year olds.

Was thinking that, by the time it takes Brexit to go through (say 3 years), that cohort will be old enough to vote, and the oldest cohort will have departed. Might have been enough to swing it. Guess I'm working on the assumption that the other cohorts don't change with age in the mean time.

Was thinking that, by the time it takes Brexit to go through (say 3 years), that cohort will be old enough to vote, and the oldest cohort will have departed. Might have been enough to swing it. Guess I'm working on the assumption that the other cohorts don't change with age in the mean time.

Aye.

The Press Gazette suggests the influence of right wing papers could have been decisive in the referendum result.

The editors of the Sun, Telegraph, Express and Mail titles can reflect today that it was probably them ‘wot won it’ for the Leave campaign.

This week they all declared for Leave with prominent editorials. But throughout the campaign they have made their positions clear with front-page stories which have been chosen and written to benefit the Leave side of the argument.

Together these titles reach around 28m readers in print over the course of the month, according to the National Readership Survey.

With just over a one million votes separating the Leave and Remain sides their influence could well have been decisive.

It notes that 26 out of the last 28 Daily Express pages were positive for the Leave campaign. By contrast it says Remain received “luke-warm” support from the Guardian, Times and Mirror.

Just a thought but surely there should be pressure for Junker and Tusk to resign for not being able to negotiate an acceptable deal. If the EU falls apart from here, which of the EU commissioners will resign like Cameron did?

As an old cunt myself I'm well pissed off at how many fuckers who'll be dead within 10 years max have affected the lives of people who'll live with this for decades.

Wifey on 5 live "in turmoil" for voting leave on the promise of £350m a week coming back for the NHS and now being told that's not going to happen.

If only she'd don't the most basic fact checking before voting.

Wifey on 5 live "in turmoil" for voting leave on the promise of £350m a week coming back for the NHS and now being told that's not going to happen.

If only she'd don't the most basic fact checking before voting.

[emoji38] That's what happens when you get your news off the side of a bus.