"That Bin Laden Film"

henda11

Just seen the trailer for it, and it isn't really something that interests me. But knowing that this film is coming out it has made me wonder a little. They decide not release pictures of his body etc because it could piss of all these terrorists and his followers etc, but they allow this film to come out.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry that's what I meant. It's not an advert for torture at all imo.

I think the torturers are the good guys doing whatever it takes to get the bad guys.

At the end of the film you are supposed to cheer because they got Bin Laden, irrespective of what went before, including torture.

Is any action taken to discipline the torturers? Do they end up on war crimes charges? Or the people that authorised torture? Is there an epilogue where the victims of torture sue the US government and get compensation. Or are those involved in torture the heroes of the day and the victims an irrelevance?

The fact that nothing whatsoever that led to Bin Ladens capture was gained from torture is (at best) immaterial to the film. Some would say the film suggests torture DID reveal what they were missing....falsely. Either way, it's seen as just another avenue that was taken when all options were explored, irrespective of criminality. There is no condemnation of that. It's all deemed acceptable.

A CIA advert for war crimes, with close working relationships between the producers and the highest levels of intelligence, who reveled secrets with a higher level off classification than anything Bradley Manning revealed. He sits in a cell for years awaiting a trial followed by life imprisonment or death...they get Oscar nominations.

I'll watch it soon. Got it in my film directory :)

I read all that and you haven't even seen it?! :razz:

But I've read enough about the film to know I am right :P

Perhaps I'll watch it and be surprised at what a damning indictment of torture it is. How wrong all the writers I respect most were. With those involved in prisoner abuse or turning a blind eye to it made to look particularly evil. I won't hold my breath.

It mightn't given you've already made your mind up.

At no point did it strike me as an advert for torture. It depicts torture, that's all. I don't really think it's my job to tell you why it isn't, it's your job to watch it and make your own mind up.

It mightn't given you've already made your mind up.

At no point did it strike me as an advert for torture. It depicts torture, that's all. I don't really think it's my job to tell you why it isn't, it's your job to watch it and make your own mind up.

If a film depicts the hero drinking a Pepsi, without commenting on the Pepsi either way...it's an advert for Pepsi.