Best/Worst Gigs you've been to and who have you seen most (more than 3 times)

Toonpack

i remember seeing kingmaker at the riverside the day after they were on the word. class gig, packed full and loads of stage diving and crowd surfing. they seemed to die a deaf after a couple of albums which i always thought was a shame as they were a good live act.

I was reading their wiki page at the weekend actually, after spring them on my iTunes. The singer fella (Loz Hardy) reckons Britpop did for them, although it sounded like they just stopped writing songs tbh.

They later reformed without the singer and with a few extra members.

I remember seeing U2 when Bono was into wearing Lynne's Mam's cataract glasses and they were class. Roundhay Park. It was 14th August 1993 because it was the same day Newcastle played Spurs at home in the Premier League (our first ever PL match).

I reckon Zooropa's their best album. Proper rebel me, like.

I reckon Zooropa's their best album. Proper rebel me, like.

I think it was the last of theirs that I bought, but aye, it's quality. I really like Achtung! Baby too. I think they're shit now like.

I was at that gig. My mate was into them. I hadn't really heard of them. Before or since.

And I just remembered, Smashing Pumpkins were class at the Mayfair. Siamese Dream tour.

I think I saw both those tours...Kingmaker at The Venue in Edinburgh and Pumpkins at Southampton Guildhall...class acts both...Kingmaker had a string of very good singles and an album that did fuck all, which may have got them dropped by their label...

I think the only act I've seen 3 times are the Beasties... Barrowlands in 87, Brixton and Glasto in 94....

He did, aye. My mate absolutely loves them so I've tagged along a few times.

Actually, I thought Orbital were really good last Wednesday at the Academy. I was one of the younger ones there as well. Last gig before that was System7 at a festival in North Yorks. They were fucking class. Ade Edmondson and the Bad Shepherds were on before them. They weren't so good.

I think it was the last of theirs that I bought, but aye, it's quality. I really like Achtung! Baby too. I think they're shit now like.

They've lost consistency imo - the last two of three have had some decent stuff but not enough.

I think I've said before they should do a stones and just tour the old stuff.

quality story that like. was he a good lad then? or the affected druggie he appeared later in his short life?

He was charming, definitely not affected. Shy, a bit awkward and very kid-like. We were like 'wont smashing all the instruments up not cost a fortune?' and he just giggled at us. One of the clearest memories of the night was Novoselic reacting to being spat at by some of the hardcore punks (who were probably really just saying 'thats a canny sound you've got there') and he stops playing, points at them and says 'judge not brother and ye will not be judged'.

I thought it was funny anyway.

He did, aye. My mate absolutely loves them so I've tagged along a few times.

Actually, I thought Orbital were really good last Wednesday at the Academy. I was one of the younger ones there as well. Last gig before that was System7 at a festival in North Yorks. They were fucking class. Ade Edmondson and the Bad Shepherds were on before them. They weren't so good.

:lol: How old is old at an Orbital gig? Only asking because

I was consdering seeing them on this tour but went to Bordeaux last week so it was a bit too much before christmas. I thought I may have been a bit geriatric at 43...

:lol: How old is old at an Orbital gig? Only asking because

I was consdering seeing them on this tour but went to Bordeaux last week so it was a bit too much before christmas. I thought I may have been a bit geriatric at 43...

I'm 38. There were loads of people there on E who were too old to be on E, basically. I wasn't one of them btw ;)

Zooropa was class. Pop followed iirc and that was the last I bought. I like a lot of the old stuff but Zooropa just takes me back as before we used to go to town that was our sat afternoon music spent eating MacDs and making speed in to wraps for the night. Oh the highlife :lol:

On gigs though, I remember seeing the Orb at the Mayfair and being disappointed that you didn't really see them as such, they hid behind a big electronic thing set. Was prob just a CD playing...

Last gig i seen at the Mayfair though was SLF i think or Ocean Colour Scene, SLF was a good laugh like.

He was charming, definitely not affected. Shy, a bit awkward and very kid-like. We were like 'wont smashing all the instruments up not cost a fortune?' and he just giggled at us. One of the clearest memories of the night was Novoselic reacting to being spat at by some of the hardcore punks (who were probably really just saying 'thats a canny sound you've got there') and he stops playing, points at them and says 'judge not brother and ye will not be judged'.

I thought it was funny anyway.

:lol:

Class.

Last gig i seen at the Mayfair though was SLF i think or Ocean Colour Scene, SLF was a good laugh like.

Man I miss the Mayfair. Didn't go to many gigs there but the crusty old metal club night was a good laugh. Middle-aged bloke in T-shirt and shorts always took over the dancefloor when Little Jeff played an AC/DC track early on. And they served dogburgers and chips well past midnight so you didn't have to brave Munchies afterwards. Class.

Zooropa was class. Pop followed iirc and that was the last I bought. I like a lot of the old stuff but Zooropa just takes me back as before we used to go to town that was our sat afternoon music spent eating MacDs and making speed in to wraps for the night. Oh the highlife :lol:

On gigs though, I remember seeing the Orb at the Mayfair and being disappointed that you didn't really see them as such, they hid behind a big electronic thing set. Was prob just a CD playing...

I saw the Orb once and I thought they were just playing DATs. I thought they were alright but the warm-up DJ was better (DJ Lewis). You never hear about him now.

Man I miss the Mayfair. Didn't go to many gigs there but the crusty old metal club night was a good laugh. Middle-aged bloke in T-shirt and shorts always took over the dancefloor when Little Jeff played an AC/DC track early on. And they served dogburgers and chips well past midnight so you didn't have to brave Munchies afterwards. Class.

Such was my taste in music I'd go to you typical rock night (though I was then a fan of t he back room that played a lot of the goth stuff. None of this shite you get now, I used to like The Mission etc) and then when they were on I'd go to the Rezerections. I remember the last one that was on there. I was invited as a guest. and my claim to fame? I supplied the crowd barriers for the queue outside :lol:

btw - here you go, class :D - http://www.house-mixes.com/profile/snadge/play/carl-cox--rezerection-au-revoir--the-mayfair

Best gig (possibly unsurprisingly) Joe Bonamassa. First time I saw him was live at Guilfest, he headlined the second stage (which was a pretty small space crammed into the park they hold the fest in) in the pissing rain. Was right at the front and he absolutely nailed it. This was just after John Henry came out (for the 3 other people who know who he is) and it was just ridiculously good. As it was a festival set, he didn't have as much time, so pretty much only spoke to the crowd about 4 songs in and then right at the end, rest of it was wall to wall awesome. Completely forgot about how wet and cold I was. The version of Just Got Paid/Dazed and Confused before India/Mountain Time was just superb.

Honourable mentions to Metallica and AC/DC, both at Wembley in the last couple of years. Both top quality.

Worst... can't actually think of any particularly bad gigs I've been to.

3 times or more, think it might just be Hundred Reasons, but there are loads and loads I've seen twice.