Best/Worst Gigs you've been to and who have you seen most (more than 3 times)

Toonpack

Top gigs:

Big Country – Newcastle University, warm up gig for “without the aid of a safety net” tour

Glasgow Fleadh – yonks ago, Lindisfarne, Van Morrison, The Pogues and Runrig all in one day

Quo – City Hall - Hello tour

ZZ Top – Eliminator tour, City Hall

Springsteen/Dave Matthews Band – Hyde park

Honorable mention:

Thin Lizzy – City Hall, found ticket stub a few years ago, an astronomical £1.80 it was (bargain!!).

Black Sabbath – City Hall, Heaven and Hell tour (with Dio not Ozzy)

Rod Stewart - SJP – REALLY didn’t want to go but the Mrs got free tickets off her boss, was absolute quality.

Aerosmith - Wembley (Lenny Kravitz main support was also excellent, Stereophonics and the Black Crowes were shit).

Worst Gigs:

Bon Jovi – Glasgow SEC – crap sound (having the PA hanging from the ceiling of what is essentially a geet big tin can is not a good idea) and bunch of posing twats

UFO – City Hall, guitarist was off his face he nearly had a barney with the bass player

Reo Speedwagon – City Hall, just utter crap.

Rainbow - City Hall, Blackmore all pedals and pose and black velvet marshall stack with matching attire. He threw a wobbler at Cozy Powell at the end of one song, refused to continue until Powel had “tinged” a tiny little cymbal to end the tune, then turned around with self satisfied grin as if nowt was the matter.

Il Divo – Arena, wor lass insisted, even she agreed we could fuck off after about half an hour.

KIss - City Hall, only because the twats announced it was an out of makeup tour after we'd got the tickets, was a "fiery" show but just "not the same".

Queen - SJP, Bleurgh.

Top artists/bands seen 3+ times (nee particular order):

Big Country

Quo

10cc

Runrig

Lindisfarne

Eagles

Magnum

Springsteen

Best:

Ozzy at the Mayfair with Randy Rhoads - either late 80 or 81

Black Sabbath with Dio as mentioned by TP.

PIxies Mayfair about 1990

Big Country Whitley Bay Ice Rink about 87

U2 Milton Keynes Bowl 85 - pissed down all day so by the end the crowd just decided to say "fuck it" and go properly mental.

Manics Millenium Cardiff

Tanya Donelly ULU 87

PJ Harvey Brixton on the Stories... tour.

I did a lot of festivals from about 1998-2007 and probably the best performamce in that scenario was 3 Colours Red at Reading headlining the second stage in what I think was their last gig pre-beakup/reunion.

I Can't really remember too many "bad" gigs though I remember being really pissed off when I went to see the Stereophonics at Donnington and a huge area in front of the stage was reserved for fan club members - large enough to really spoli it.

Seen more than 3 times:

Big Country

U2

Ash

Manics

Placebo

Best:

Amon Amarth at Northumbria Uni, top band, top gig. Also easily the sweatiest gig I have ever been too :lol:

Iron Maiden at Twickenham. Golden era setlist, absolute quality.

Dark Tranquillity - Fibbers, York. Tiny venue, couldn't see the stage but blistering set.

Worst:

Fallen Fate at the Forum in Darlo, only went because it was around the corner. Wish I hadn't bothered, awful stuff.

Seen more than 3 times:

Iron Maiden

Old Corpse Road

Amon Amarth

Evile

Machine Head

Winterfylleth

Dark Tranquillity

Edited by Bizza

Best:

Sigur Rós open-air at the Stadtpark in Hamburg at the peak of their "Takk..." powers. Perfect setting, nice small natural amphitheatre environment at the back end of summer, chilled as you like.

The Decemberists at some converted cinema in Elephant & Castle. Played the whole "Hazards Of Love" album then an oldies & favourites set; inflatable sharks were involved. Lovely jubbly.

Wine, Women & Song [Gretchen Peters, Matraca Berg and Suzy Bogguss] - seen them a few times, always a treat. Proper music played by proper musicians, which I realise makes me sound like a right old fart.

Oh, and an honourable mention for Therapy? (ably supported by Rico) at the Hamburg Markthalle in 1999. They were "my" mid-teenage band and had scrapped their way back to happiness with a fine new album after a few years in the doldrums. Bouncy beery party vibe all night long. Splendid.

Worst:

I've been lucky I guess, not seen many truly bad gigs. During my late-stage metal phase I saw Fear Factory, who were thoroughly miserable, and I'm pretty sure there were pre-recorded rhythm tracks involved. I didn't choose to go and see The Bravery and, after a 40-minute set playing their album then fucking off (no support, either), I was glad not to have paid. :lol: Also seen several instrumental post-rock bands who provide little in the way of an interesting live experience, even if the music is good (Explosions In The Sky, 65daysofstatic...).

Seen more than 3 times: Probably only Therapy? and Gretchen Peters. Make it exactly 3 times and we can add the likes of the Decemberists, I LIKE TRAINS and Dar Williams. Possibly dEUS too, I forget now.

Best.

Gil Scott Heron at the Riverside.

AC/DC at Whitley Ice rink.

( also, bizarrely, Sting at the Roman Coliseum in Nimes, although I think the setting and herbal assistance had a lot to do with that).

Worst.

UFO at the City Hall

Genesis at Roundhay Park- don't ask, knob won over brain.

Best:

Bowling For Soup at Hammersmith Palais - first gig of there's I went to. Met the band before the gig and had a quick chat whilst Wheatus (supporting) were playing Teenage Dirtbag for their sound check. Also met them in Rock City, Nottingham after the gig. Ended up having a conversation with Jared from Bloodhound Gang about how great being 18 was.

Turisas at Rock City - mental gig. Everyone was wearing war paint and carrying swords, axes, shields etc. The most fun I've ever had at a gig, and the band finished off with their battle metal cover of Boney M's Rasputin. :lol:

Elton John at the Madjeski Stadium - my first ever gig and he was just awesome. I was only 13 I think. Lulu warmed up and was shite though, but then again she only has one song.

Worst gig:

Arctic Monkeys' set at Paleo Festival in Switzerland. They were uninterested, strummed boringly through their crap material and trudged off without doing an encore (thankfully). Honorable mention also to Bjork who at one point during the gig just decided to start screaming into the microphone oblivious to the music. She's a fraud of an artist.

Bands seen more than 3 times:

I've seen Bowling For Soup 5 times now. :lol:

Can't think of the worst right now but off the top of my head my two best would be Radiohead at Old Trafford Cricket Ground in 2008 and Stone Roses at Heaton Park last year.

Bands I've seen the most times, north of 25 times each, would be -:

Teenage Fanclub

The Wedding Present

The Fall

That Petrol Emotion

Fairport Convention

Best gigs, off the top of my head & not by those bands would include -:

The Pixies

Pussy Galore

Killdozer

Swans

Sonic Youth

Christy Moore

Roger McGuinn

Trembling Bells

Worst gigs -:

Dinosaur Jr - Riverside 11/11/88

People will probably scoff but the best gig I've been to has to be Sherly Crow at the Tyne Theatre. Tickets were free (BBC Radio 2 concert), no pissing about, got quite lashed, was near the front.

I've seen Crowded House and Neil Finn solo a lot and they've always been superb gigs, he's massively underrated imo.

Now we come to Stephen Patrick Morrissey, a hero of mine. Have seen him 4 times. His gig in Manchester was one of the best I've ever been to, he was untouchable, brilliant. The other 3 were perhaps the worst I've been to. Sulky surly twat. After the last one I decided I'd never go and see him again. Still love his music, but if you're ever thinking about seeing him live them beware because if he isn't in the mood he's fucking terrible.

Worst - Red hot chili peppers

Same, in Sydney circa 1991 and it was the first time Flea's dad, who lives in the south coast town of Nowra, saw his famous son play. Absolute shite.

Janes Addiction the same year were just as crap.

Best and worst - '89 or 90 Sugarcubes 1st show in Sydney was amazing, the next night at a different venue, the Sugarcubes 2nd ever show in Sydney was horrendous, it was hard to believe they were the same band - that's how bad they were.

Best gig is probably my best story / anecdote

Nirvana - The Riverside, Newcastle 1989.

Nirvana's first ever gig outside the US, they were on a sub-pop tour (in associate with their EU sister label Glitterhouse) supporting Tad. There were 3 bands on, The Cateran (sp) who were from Hartlepool iirc, Nirvana and Tad. Some weeks before the gig a mate and mine had joined the 'Sub-Pop club' at Volume records. We had bought some Sonic Youth and Mudhoney 7 inches and had signed up to the Sub-Pop distribution list, specific copies of 7 inches would come to Volume for us. In September 1989, we received a copy of Spank Thru direct from Seattle on Jukebox version 7 inch. Worth a fucking fortune now. We loved it, raved about it in Volume records the next Saturday and so when Nirvana's tour came up, the lad we spoke to told us about it and recommended we went, i think the tickets were 2 quid. Nirvana were on after the monkey hangers, me and my mate go to the front at the end of their set to say 'woo' etc and Kurt invites us backstage. We go to old side door which was at the right of the stage where there was a large bouncer. As you might have guessed we werent long out of short trousers, so the bouncer looked at us incredulously. However, as you might also have guessed Kurt showed up at the door and invited us in. We actually then spent about 15 mins sitting in the graffiti-strewn backstage at the Riverside, surrounded by North East musical history being legends ourselves. We discussed smashing guitars, playing to an audience, Newcastle, England and their plans for the tour. The bit which is worst part of the story is the fact that i asked him to sign my shirt and he wrote 'sweaty' on it. Nowt else. No idea what happened to that shirt.

Too many to mention from when i was a kid but more recently the two best gigs have to be

Sujan Stevens - The Barbican, London 2007(?)

David Byrne doing Brian Eno Talking Heads - Olympia, Paris, 2010

Best - The Steal, Sabbath, AC/DC, Metallica, Millencolin, Death is not Glamourous, Less than Jake, Enter Shikari, Offspring, Terrorvision, Foo Fighters, Four Year Strong

Worst - Def Leppard, Styx, Deep Purple, Dropkick Murphys, Slayer, Pantera

Most - AC/DC @ Vegas, Manchester and Milton Keynes Bowl

Best:

Prince at the Oakland Arena

Coldplay at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley (aye I know, fuck you :lol: )

Oasis at the Arena (can't remember when or what they were touring but I've seen them live a few times and this was the only time they really lived up to the hype.)

The Cure at the Mayfair. I got the "Rock Bus" (used to advertise in the NME) to Edinburgh to see them once too when I was about 15. What a smelly little weirdo I was.

Worst:

Snow Patrol at the Arena - just boring as fuck.

Honourable mention:

The Strokes at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - should have been better than it was, but the singer was visibly and audibly off his face on something or other. Which was annoying.

Cud at the Riverside. What a strange band. :lol:

Teenage Fanclub at Northumbria Uni. Probably 93 or 94.

I remember seeing U2 when Bono was into wearing Lynne's Mam's cataract glasses and they were class. Roundhay Park. It was 14th August 1993 because it was the same day Newcastle played Spurs at home in the Premier League (our first ever PL match).

Best:

Prince at the Oakland Arena

Coldplay at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley (aye I know, fuck you :lol: )

Oasis at the Arena (can't remember when or what they were touring but I've seen them live a few times and this was the only time they really lived up to the hype.)

The Cure at the Mayfair. I got the "Rock Bus" (used to advertise in the NME) to Edinburgh to see them once too when I was about 15. What a smelly little weirdo I was.

Worst:

Snow Patrol at the Arena - just boring as fuck.

Honourable mention:

The Strokes at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - should have been better than it was, but the singer was visibly and audibly off his face on something or other. Which was annoying.

Cud at the Riverside. What a strange band. :lol:

Teenage Fanclub at Northumbria Uni. Probably 93 or 94.

i used to love cud. saw them at the riverside. pretty sure i was at that fanclub gig too.

i was at that oasis gig at the riverside on their first tour just after live forever came out when some random jumped on stage and lamped noel. that was memorable. only lasted 4 songs then their tour bus was pelted with bottles as they left the club.

saw blur at hyde park when they got back together a couple of years back. that was up there and better than when i saw them at the uni on the modern life is rubbish tour and at the poly on the park life tour. mainly because it brought back all the memories of seeing them play again, depsite them all being a bit old and fat.

Edited by Dr Gloom

i remember seeing kingmaker at the riverside the day after they were on the word. class gig, packed full and loads of stage diving and crowd surfing. they seemed to die a deaf after a couple of albums which i always thought was a shame as they were a good live act.

Best gig is probably my best story / anecdote

Nirvana - The Riverside, Newcastle 1989.

Nirvana's first ever gig outside the US, they were on a sub-pop tour (in associate with their EU sister label Glitterhouse) supporting Tad. There were 3 bands on, The Cateran (sp) who were from Hartlepool iirc, Nirvana and Tad. Some weeks before the gig a mate and mine had joined the 'Sub-Pop club' at Volume records. We had bought some Sonic Youth and Mudhoney 7 inches and had signed up to the Sub-Pop distribution list, specific copies of 7 inches would come to Volume for us. In September 1989, we received a copy of Spank Thru direct from Seattle on Jukebox version 7 inch. Worth a fucking fortune now. We loved it, raved about it in Volume records the next Saturday and so when Nirvana's tour came up, the lad we spoke to told us about it and recommended we went, i think the tickets were 2 quid. Nirvana were on after the monkey hangers, me and my mate go to the front at the end of their set to say 'woo' etc and Kurt invites us backstage. We go to old side door which was at the right of the stage where there was a large bouncer. As you might have guessed we werent long out of short trousers, so the bouncer looked at us incredulously. However, as you might also have guessed Kurt showed up at the door and invited us in. We actually then spent about 15 mins sitting in the graffiti-strewn backstage at the Riverside, surrounded by North East musical history being legends ourselves. We discussed smashing guitars, playing to an audience, Newcastle, England and their plans for the tour. The bit which is worst part of the story is the fact that i asked him to sign my shirt and he wrote 'sweaty' on it. Nowt else. No idea what happened to that shirt.

Too many to mention from when i was a kid but more recently the two best gigs have to be

Sujan Stevens - The Barbican, London 2007(?)

David Byrne doing Brian Eno Talking Heads - Olympia, Paris, 2010

quality story that like. was he a good lad then? or the affected druggie he appeared later in his short life?

i remember seeing kingmaker at the riverside the day after they were on the word. class gig, packed full and loads of stage diving and crowd surfing. they seemed to die a deaf after a couple of albums which i always thought was a shame as they were a good live act.

I was at that gig. My mate was into them. I hadn't really heard of them. Before or since.

And I just remembered, Smashing Pumpkins were class at the Mayfair. Siamese Dream tour.