Royal Hoax Call Receptionist

henda11

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a case a long time ago of an actor - I think his name was Mark Scarborough and he was in Eastenders. He had depression and other mental health problems and the NOTW had some dirt on him - can't remember what it was - it might have been that he was gay or maybe even just that he did have mental problems. Anyway his family and doctors told the paper that publishing the story would have serious consequences but they did so anyway and the bloke then chucked himself off Beachy Head. Of course theres a part of anyone that thinks the cunts should be "brought to justice" for it and maybe in the face of medical evidence theres a case but the point is where does it end if all actions are assessed on whether some poor bastard is ill enough to react in a tragic way? Do we ban all jokes and pranks just in case people react badly?

In the spirit of looking at events in the 70s/80s Jeremy Beadle and Matthew Kelly must be shitting themselves now.

To me there is a prank - Stick a post it note over someones mouse so it does work.

and a prank - trick someone into breaching the data protection act, making them a figure of amusement across he world and potentially costing them their job.

To me there is a prank - Stick a post it note over someones mouse so it does work.

and a prank - trick someone into breaching the data protection act, making them a figure of amusement across he world and potentially costing them their job.

Leaving aside my contempt for the monarchy and just looking at it even if it had been a "nobody" you can't get away from the fact she did do something wrong whether it was as a result of a trick or not. She shouldn't have lost her job but I think she was "lucky" to not be considered for a disciplinary.

This may sound harsh in the circumstances but it was a ridiculous thing to fall for.

Leaving aside my contempt for the monarchy and just looking at it even if it had been a "nobody" you can't get away from the fact she did do something wrong whether it was as a result of a trick or not. She shouldn't have lost her job but I think she was "lucky" to not be considered for a disciplinary.

This may sound harsh in the circumstances but it was a ridiculous thing to fall for.

It is but the fact that it was 'for a laugh' is the reason it's so horrendous. People say it was just a joke but anyone who isn't a complete moron would have known something like would very likely lead to someone facing disciplinary action, to me that's not just a hoax, it's malicious and someone going out of their way to promote themselves whilst fucking over some poor innocent person in the process.

It is but the fact that it was 'for a laugh' is the reason it's so horrendous. People say it was just a joke but anyone who isn't a complete moron would have known something like would very likely lead to someone facing disciplinary action, to me that's not just a hoax, it's malicious and someone going out of their way to promote themselves whilst fucking over some poor innocent person in the process.

Its not a medium I like but DJs the world over have been doing it for decades though - I'm sure they didn't really think they'd get put through.

I don't listen to the radio often but is this really something that is often done? I assumed it was calling Pizza delivery places and trying to order a Big Mac, stupid things like that.

Edmonds and Travis built their radio 1 careers on prank calls.

What sort of prank calls though? There is a big difference between asking to speak to I C Wiener and trying to get someone to release confidential medical records of a member from the royal family.

Edmonds and Travis built their radio 1 careers on prank calls.

Great "gotcha" story from inside "the business"

They were setting up Carol Smiley for a gotcha, she was being filmed and checking into a hotel (part of the set up), got in her room and almost immediately started doing herself with her battery operated friend, Gotcha abruptly canned. Alledgedly of course.

What sort of prank calls though? There is a big difference between asking to speak to I C Wiener and trying to get someone to release confidential medical records of a member from the royal family.

This. Big difference. Hospitals aren't the sort of place to do this sort of thing.

"Confidential medical records" Get a grip man. the djs put on a stupid accent and asked how she was doing, they didn't want her midochlorian count.

That 1 (ONE) prank has lead to a woman killing herself doesn't mean that prank calls are a blight on society! It's not malicious, it's inconsiderate. It's not phoning through a bomb threat, it's an unfunny joke. I can't believe people are saying this investigation is anything less than a colossal waste of time and money. The djs have apologised and that should have been the fucking end of it.

What if a prank call comes through for an Incontinent I.P. Freely and he jumps off the nearest bridge, are those jokes be banned too? What about the whooppee cushions, causing a sufferer of chronic flatulence to suck on an exhaust pipe?

A. The receptionist took the call and passed it on.

B. The receptionist killed herself.

The gap in knowledge about the circumstances that preceded and those that happened between parts a and b of this tragedy is vast and people who have no idea why she killed herself shouldn't be lighting torches and forming a mob. Want to ban something? Ban reactionary media, ban 24hr News, ban American's saying "Mates", ban people from leaving double doors ajar because they've not the sense to properly align the overlapping lips (or whatever they're called).

Blame culture is infuriating

Edited by The Fish

Yeah that's the station that Jackie-O and what's his face are on isn't it? Those two twits are pathetic. I don't listen to much radio but I know those two are prize cath words.

Aye, and Kyle Sandilands - who lost advertisers for their show because he called a journalist a fat slag with droopy tits, or words to that affect a few months ago, my recollection of it isn't the best.

I remember them getting a fair amount of negative coverage for pressuring a young'n (15 or 16 year old girl) on air into admitting at what age she had lost her virginity, and I think while her mother was listening on another line, for what purpose I don't know - maybe it was that they were comfronting her over her alleged promiscuity (like an intervention type scenario), only for the young girl to shockingly admit that she had lost her virginity through being raped possibly even by a relative - again my recollection of it is not the best but it was along those lines and you can see how low they act in order to attract listeners.

Edited by Ken

I once put some cling film over a toilet seat in McDonalds which led to the suicides of 13 children so I know the inherent danger in pranks.

Ashton kutcher, Jeremy Beadle (if he wasn't dead) and I should face the death penalty.

Thing is, she wouldn't have been disciplined anyway. She literally handed the phone to the nurse who was looking after Kate, so for her to kill herself over that specific incident seems really bizarre. We have it drummed into us from qualifying that you don't give any info over the phone to anyone other than very non-specific descriptions of a patients condition. I've had newspaper reporters phoning the ward asking about patients, pretending to be family members and you just can't tell anyone specifics.

I have no doubt that the nurse who DID give the info would have been hauled up in front of the NMC at some point and possibly disciplined, but possibly won't now given the tragic circumstances.

The hoax was in extremely poor taste but ultimately they can't be held accountable for the actions of someone who handed a telephone to a colleague.