So what's your top 10 releases for the 1990s?

sammynb

I really like steel/slide guitar if its used in the right context (big fan of early Texas and Mazzy Star) and I'm sometimes drawn to country music though I'm wary of it - I have a couple of Emmylou Harris albums which I like.

Do you have any recommendations along those lines?

You probably wouldn't think of either of them in relation to it but the pedal steel guitar on 'Apollo' by Brian Eno and on 'Chill Out' by the KLF is brilliant. On the former it's performed by Daniel Lanois who you'll know from his work with Eno/U2.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably wouldn't think of either of them in relation to it but the pedal steel guitar on 'Apollo' by Brian Eno and on 'Chill Out' by the KLF is brilliant. On the former it's performed by Daniel Lanois who you'll know from his work with Eno/U2.

And the later is the work of Graham Lee from the Triffids. Back in the 80s they were regarded as very indie but listening to them now it's almost alt country, especially the first 3 albums - Treeless Plain; Born Sandy Devotional; and In The Pines.

Cass McCombs work features slide and pedal steel with Catacombs; and Humor[sic] Risk worth the effort - even with his American spelling.

edit: Graham and the rest of the Triffids were the studio band for Bill Drummond's first release, an alt Scottish country album The Man.

Edited by sammynb

I remember you telling me about him and how he wasn't credited with the stuff they used on Chill Out. I couldn't remember his name though.

What's worse is he recorded a bunch of stuff for BD, which was to be part of the song/release played when Drummond was able to get the leaders of the world, (eg the US and Russian presidents) on stage together with him (BD) in a celebration of world peace (this is serious and if you know anything of Bill Drummond it will come as no surprise).

Then 10/15 years later, it recently turned up on someone else's release because Bill sold it to them, with GLee receiving nothing, not even a credit.

I really like steel/slide guitar if its used in the right context (big fan of early Texas and Mazzy Star) and I'm sometimes drawn to country music though I'm wary of it - I have a couple of Emmylou Harris albums which I like.

Do you have any recommendations along those lines?

ry cooder paris texas soundtrack is class for this

Think I've mentioned this before but I saw a drunk, disheveled and, frankly, embarrassing Bill Drummond doing a 'spoken word' thing at the Forth in Newcastle. People thought it was just some piss-head standing on a table ranting. Which is actually what it is.

Think I've mentioned this before but I saw a drunk, disheveled and, frankly, embarrassing Bill Drummond doing a 'spoken word' thing at the Forth in Newcastle. People thought it was just some piss-head standing on a table ranting. Which is actually what it is.

See he builds his own tables/beds now!

http://penkilnburn.com/paintings/1/

In no particular order.

Oasis - Definitely Maybe (the first album I ever bought)

Kula Shaker - K

Future Sound of London - Lifeforms

Radiohead - Kid A

Orbital - In Sides

Dr. Dre - The Chronic

Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle

Primal Scream - Screamadelica

Massive Attack - Blue Lines

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92