So what's your top 10 releases for the 1990s?

sammynb

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In no particular order.

The Sundays - Reading, Writing, Arithmetic

Chemical Brothers - Dig Your own hole

Happy Mondays - Pills & Thrills

Primal Scream - Screamadelica

Leftfield - Leftism

KLF - Chill Out

Underworld - Dub no bass

Portishead - Dummy

Massive Attack - Blue Lines

Daft Punk - Daft Punk

Didn't even see your list when I did mine. Canny ;)

Didn't even see your list when I did mine. Canny ;)

I changed the Chemical's one to Exit Planet Dust, apart from the Sundays its just a list of classic British rave / club scene albums. Obviously Daft Punk are honorary.

Speaking of which, saw both Daft Punk & Goldie at the same gig at Back to Basics around 97. They were DJ'ing not PA'ing.

Loads I agree and disagree with on here, just to say no one has mentioned Copper Blue by Sugar which is one of my favourite peices of work by anyone in any decade. . Other hounorable mentions,just stuff thats not been mentioned that I enjoyed, no particular order...

Luscious Jackson: In Search of Manny

Dr Octagon: Dr Octagonecologyst

Nine Inch Nails: Pretty Hate Machine, Broken and Fixed eps, Downward Spiral...hard to choose a favourite tbh..

The Bluetones: Learning to fly

Longpigs: The Sun is often Out

The Rollercoaster tour they did just prior to the release of Honey's Dead was amazing, I timed a trip to London just to make sure I saw the Brixton Academy show.

First support Blur who had only just released Leisure, Dinosaur Jr 2nd support, My Bloody Valentine main support and JMC who were at the top of their game at that stage.

Fucking awesome.

Fond memories of the rollercoaster tour which I saw in Manchester Apollo iirc. Really can't be arsed to get into these lists though as music is so personal.

Leftfield: Leftism

Underworld: Dubnobasswithmyheadman

Chemical Brothers: Exit Planet Dust

Sabres of Paradise: Sabresonic

Daft Punk: Homework

DJ Shadow: Endtroducing

Snoop Dogg: Doggystyle

Laurent Garnier: Shot In The Dark

Primal Scream: Screamadelica

LFO: Frequencies

great list Billy.....LFO and Sabres of Paradise are good shouts.....anyone with fuckin kuia shaker, have a fuckin word with yourselves ;)

Anyone telling someone else what shouldn't be on their list, have a word tbh ;)

If you first got laid in the 90s and an album was playing at the time your view of that album might be different to others.

That goes for many other situations.....first time high, first time dumped etc.

We associate music with moments personal to us...that's what the beauty of it is. Our tastes age with us. If I want to know the critically acclaimed albums you see in EVERY end of decade list I can go to any number of websites. The interesting part of this thread though is to find out about other posters on toontastic.

I've never really been into buying albums much but I did buy 2 Cranberries albums as well as Portishead's 'dummy', in the nineties. Also got blur's album which I thought was quite shit/ordinary at the time.

Anyone getting too much into music when I was a teenager in the mid-late eighties were suspected of being a puff round wor way. (Yes it was that sad and no doubt I've missed out on some decent music but I've got to say, when it comes to these sort of lists there's a bit of the 'emperors new clothes' syndrome goes on).

August and Everything After – Counting Crows

Under the table and Dreaming – Dave Matthews Band

Black Album – Metallica (one of the top 10 albums of any decade IMO).

Jagged Little Pill – Alanis Morriset

Bringing down the Horse – Wallflowers

No Fences – Garth Brooks

In Search of Angels - Runrig

Supernatural – Santana

Human Clay – Creed

Division Bell – Pink Floyd

Nowt wrong with good country music young man !!

I really like steel/slide guitar if its used in the right context (big fan of early Texas and Mazzy Star) and I'm sometimes drawn to country music though I'm wary of it - I have a couple of Emmylou Harris albums which I like.

Do you have any recommendations along those lines?

I really like steel/slide guitar if its used in the right context (big fan of early Texas and Mazzy Star) and I'm sometimes drawn to country music though I'm wary of it - I have a couple of Emmylou Harris albums which I like.

Do you have any recommendations along those lines?

Not necessarily along those lines (and I realise y'weren't asking me), but the names I tend to throw out there if people are looking for entry points for contemporary country/crossover would be the likes of Justin Townes Earle, Caitlin Rose, Jamey Johnson, Chatham County Line, Elizabeth Cook... maybe Lucinda Williams too, albeit we're venturing firmly away from yee-haw territory there. Get thee to YouTube/Spotify and see if any of those take your fancy, I'm sure my Nashville-obsessed better half can dredge up some more ideas if need be!

They weren't wearing robot suits anyway. The hype around that gig at the time was unbelievable, people came from every corner of the country for that.

I saw Daft Punk live (PA, not DJ-ing) at Tribal Gathering (98 I think). Absolutely class.