So what's your top 10 releases for the 1990s?

sammynb

Further to the pitchfork list Alex posted, what's your 90's top 10 release? And if you know what year was it released?

10. Supergrass - I Should Coco (95)

09. Amazing Royal Crowns - Amazing Royal Crowns (97)

08. Bailter Space - Thermos (90)

07. Meat Beat Manifesto - Satyricon (92)

06. Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth (93)

05. Radiohead - The Bends (95)

04. Jesus and Mary Chain - Stoned & Dethroned (94)

03. Swervedriver - Raise (91)

01. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (91)

01. Swervedriver - Mezcal Head (93)

I can't pick between Loveless and Mezcal Head as they my two favourite releases, ever.

Bands like the Cocteau Twins and The Pixies for me, although still releasing great stuff, had past their best (Blue Bell Knoll & Doolittle).

Also bands like PWEI, NiN, Minstry, etc all did interesting stuff but for me it hasn't survived the test of time, where the above are all albums I still listen to often.

And then there is Bill Drummond.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prefer Psychocandy.

Those were early days with girls and me and I had two I fancied equally. One big on JMC (her place was dank and dark - a bit daunting truth be told) and the other the Cocteau Twins and Dead can Dance. The latter had a huge tree outside her bedroom window and in the summer at night with the window open - various Cocteau Twins lazily spinning up on her Rega (Kef speakers I helped her choose) were some of the happiest days I can remember. I had just started in on Burroughs and Henry Miller and was going to Paris a lot on the ferry to see a friend from school who moved there (as a bet slept in the Pompedieu one night in one of the paintings storeroom) :lol: Those were valid bands and enchanting days when magic happenned daily.

Prefer Psychocandy.

Those were early days with girls and me and I had two I fancied equally. One big on JMC (her place was dank and dark - a bit daunting truth be told) and the other the Cocteau Twins and Dead can Dance. The latter had a huge tree outside her bedroom window and in the summer at night with the window open - various Cocteau Twins lazily spinning up on her Rega (Kef speakers I helped her choose) were some of the happiest days I can remember. I had just started in on Burroughs and Henry Miller and was going to Paris a lot on the ferry to see a friend from school who moved there (as a bet slept in the Pompedieu one night in one of the paintings storeroom) :lol: Those were valid bands and enchanting days when magic happenned daily.

Prefer Psychocandy.

Parky, adjust your tin foil hat, you do realise Psychocandy was released in 1984!

As for the rest, emo girls wish they were half as fucked up (and fun) as those goth/punk/indie girls of the 80s.

Being my formative years musically, there'd be a list of what I loved at the time and a list of what I love now (but didn't necessarily hear at the time), and they'd probably look quite different. We're talking about a period when I evolved from a metalhead to... well, a Eurovision-loving metalhead who likes other things too.

But anyway, here's a brainstorm of ten albums that I devoured ravenously and that can probably be said to have shaped me, one way or another:

Therapy? - Troublegum

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F# A# ∞

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

The Loud Family - Plants And Birds And Rocks And Things

Tom Waits - Bone Machine

Strapping Young Lad - City

Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun

Anthrax - Sound Of White Noise

Eels - Electro-Shock Blues

Rico - Sanctuary Medicines

Even if they're predominantly quite mainstream choices and a few of them may seem a little gauche to the all-grown-up me, I'll stand up for them as 90s classics one and all. :good:

What the fuck is going on with the board at the moment?

Double quoting, the turning/buffering up symbol at the bottom of the page.

No wonder the mayans are screaming the end of days.

edit: tried to post this and an error message with your post is to short came up!!!!!

I know but I never got passed it (I discovered JMC all at the same time in the mid 90's). Did flirt with Honey's Dead when I was dir a short film in Birmingham (on cassette) to drown out the many complaints from the actors (about the sandwiches) and an overweight lighting cameraman (that we really needed a proper generator).

Half the footage was underexposed which for me was joyous and 'interesting'....The others seemed a bit depressed about it..especially Fuji who were funding the whole caper. :lol:

Edited by Park Life

What the fuck is going on with the board at the moment?

Double quoting, the turning/buffering up symbol at the bottom of the page.

No wonder the mayans are screaming the end of days.

edit: tried to post this and an error message with your post is to short came up!!!!!

The board is feeling the power!!!!

Being my formative years musically, there'd be a list of what I loved at the time and a list of what I love now (but didn't necessarily hear at the time), and they'd probably look quite different. We're talking about a period when I evolved from a metalhead to... well, a Eurovision-loving metalhead who likes other things too.

But anyway, here's a brainstorm of ten albums that I devoured ravenously and that can probably be said to have shaped me, one way or another:

Therapy? - Troublegum

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F# A# ∞

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

The Loud Family - Plants And Birds And Rocks And Things

Tom Waits - Bone Machine

Strapping Young Lad - City

Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun

Anthrax - Sound Of White Noise

Eels - Electro-Shock Blues

Rico - Sanctuary Medicines

Even if they're predominantly quite mainstream choices and a few of them may seem a little gauche to the all-grown-up me, I'll stand up for them as 90s classics one and all. :good:

Holy Bible was a monster of an album and of course who doesn't have a soft spot for Tom Waits? ;)

really not easy to break it down to just 10 but here's my best effort

nirvana - nevermind

orbital - the brown album

pavement - slanted and enchanted

dj shadow - endtroducing

tribe called quest - midnight marauders

the prodigy - experience

blur - parklife

nas - ilmatic

coldcut - journeys by dj

leftfield - leftism

really not easy to break it down to just 10 but here's my best effort

nirvana - nevermind

orbital - the brown album

pavement - slanted and enchanted

dj shadow - endtroducing

tribe called quest - midnight marauders

the prodigy - experience

blur - parklife

nas - ilmatic

coldcut - journeys by dj

leftfield - leftism

Nice list bro.

Both Slowdive and Lush are high on the list Parky, although Lush's best work was their EPs before they got to release an LP.

Slowdive have always been brilliant, their stuff as Mojave 3 and Neil Halstead's solo releases are all worth searching out if you haven't already.

In no particular order.

The Sundays - Reading, Writing, Arithmetic

Chemical Brothers - Dig Your own hole

Happy Mondays - Pills & Thrills

Primal Scream - Screamadelica

Leftfield - Leftism

KLF - Chill Out

Underworld - Dub no bass

Portishead - Dummy

Massive Attack - Blue Lines

Daft Punk - Daft Punk

Both Slowdive and Lush are high on the list Parky, although Lush's best work was their EPs before they got to release an LP.

Slowdive have always been brilliant, their stuff as Mojave 3 and Neil Halstead's solo releases are all worth searching out if you haven't already.

Getting those ep's was like a ritual, I remember dating a girl with an eating disorder (only keep cereals down) and I had really bad asthma and used to carry an inhaler around..One of the 'rough boys' had hung himself after overdoing the glue..There was a real miasma of different and competing dialectics to do with life and death and I really believe only the music and the moonlight got me through. I started losing intrest in the chess club :lol: when the younger ones started beating me and I put away my Bobby Fischer book of openings and started saving for a keyboard.

In no particular order.

Leftfield - Leftism

KLF - Chill Out

Underworld - Dub no bass

Portishead - Dummy

Daft Punk - Daft Punk

Stonking list and not a one can be fucked with tbh. Blue Lines and Dummy were genre defining.

Still play that Sundays album now, although it took about a decade to really appreciate its 'under the radar' charm.

Edited by Park Life

In no particular order.

Leftfield - Leftism

KLF - Chill Out

Underworld - Dub no bass

Portishead - Dummy

Daft Punk - Daft Punk

blue lines and screamadellica just missed out on my top ten.

Stonking list and not a one can be fucked with tbh. Blue Lines and Dummy were genre defining.

Still play that Sundays album now, although it took about a decade to really appreciate its 'under the radar' charm.

In the context of the 90s, guitar based music is largely irrelevant. The Sundays goes in as it is such a thing of beauty (and all the ravers came down to it :) )

the only manics album i really liked.

I like them generally pre-Richey's disappearance, but aye, saying Holy Bible is their best album is like saying George Weah is Liberia's best footballer, it's true but it doesn't tell half the story.