The Cuban Missile Crisis

Christmas Tree

So of course I seen bits and bobs about this over the years, but until watching Mad Men last night, I didnt really appreciate how the average American really thought about it.

Mad Mens portrayal has most citizens convinced that the bomb could drop at any moment and that it would be "turned to dust" destruction. People were getting sent home and told to stay with their families.

Obviously our generation takes it all a bit for granted now, but the sheer terror of families must have been horrific, particularly given than this sort of stuff usually happened elsewhere.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So of course I seen bits and bobs about this over the years, but until watching Mad Men last night, I didnt really appreciate how the average American really thought about it.

Mad Mens portrayal has most citizens convinced that the bomb could drop at any moment and that it would be "turned to dust" destruction. People were getting sent home and told to stay with their families.

Obviously our generation takes it all a bit for granted now, but the sheer terror of families must have been horrific, particularly given than this sort of stuff usually happened elsewhere.

That was real? I saw that movie, I thought it was bullshit.

Thirteen Days is an all time great and under appreciated film.

Get it watched CT.

A quick peep on IMDB suggest thats from a politicians viewpoint.?

Ive seen documentaries over the years and they are usually all from the "news" point of view. The interesting thing from Mad Men was seeing it from the normal blokes point of view and how they actually thought death was imminent.

:lol:

Gimme your shoes i can go get help!

Probably the best episode of the whole lot that one. It's fucking mint. I'm going to start watching them again from the beginning once I get through the first two series of Spiral.

Edited by Alex

The point btw still stands that most of us take these things totally for granted these days.

I was talking to an old dear about "War Time Farm" (still hoping to watch) and she was sort of saying....

Imagine your own village now no supermarkets etc, queuing up for basics to make stuff, every family raising chickens and rabbits, all men of a certain age simply gone, kids sent away, sirens going off every night and hearing explosions at night and expecting a bomb to land on your house the next.

And all this over 5 years ffs.

Imagine Gemmil saying goodbye to his lass and not seeing her (or netflix) for 5 years

Imagine JawD waving goodbye to his kids.

Did you not study any of this shit at school, CT? I know it seems like you're about 40 years older than me but in reality the gap's less than 10 years isn't it? ;)

I found this fascinating when we did it in GCSE History.

Did you not study any of this shit at school, CT? I know it seems like you're about 40 years older than me but in reality the gap's less than 10 years isn't it? ;)

Aye, same here. The whole period of 1919 to the Berlin Wall falling is the most interesting one.

:lol:

Full of empathy for the middle class white folk shagging, drinking and smoking their days away.

Fuck the worthless black folk let down by a wholly corrupt society.

Madison Avenue advertising agencies aren't exactly your typical 'normal blokes' like.

Alas I spent most of comp in the back row with 10 regal and a copy of penthouse. :(