Refereeing

The Fish

Is this thing on?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Works in Rugby, should go in in football, would get Refs and Players sorted out with the language.

should be harsher punishments on the field for players who can't hold their tongues as well.

They do it in RL, BUT, players respect the referee and dont abuse them.

Imagine what it would be like in Football.

"*whistle* Free kick"

"Fuck off you skinny cunt, no fucking way did i fucking touch the black cunt the fucking fanny pad wearing bastard"

"Dont swear John"

"Fuck off cock nose Ive shagged your gran and mum at the same time cock end"

They do it in RL, BUT, players respect the referee and dont abuse them.

Imagine what it would be like in Football.

"*whistle* Free kick"

"Fuck off you skinny cunt, no fucking way did i fucking touch the black cunt the fucking fanny pad wearing bastard"

"Dont swear John"

"Fuck off cock nose Ive shagged your gran and mum at the same time cock end"

thats exactly why it should go in imo

How about in stages?

So, say, the conversations are recorded and judged by a panel, over-the-top abuse/swearing etc. gets the player a fine and their club a fine on top of that?

Then when they're aware of the more stringent rules, broadcast in the same way as Rugby?

Personally, I'm in favour of the idea, but I'm also worried that it would further sanitise the sport.

Works in Rugby, should go in in football, would get Refs and Players sorted out with the language.

should be harsher punishments on the field for players who can't hold their tongues as well.

This.

I remember that documentary with David Elleray where they did it. Arsenal (the cynical George Graham version) were one of the sides. The air was a bit blue. Elleray only booked Tony Adams for calling him a cheat. Virtually owt else seemed fair game. Also, Graham Poll post-retirement (I know a lot of people might not like him and I don't) was making the point that the referees wanted to clamp down on foul and abusive language but were directed otherwise by the Premier League. So, in other words, the Respect campaign was/is a cosmetic exercise but in reality the officials haven't got the backing needed to take action when Rooney or whoever says 'Fuck off' to their face. If it's because of what Clattenburg said then, what next? Mic'ing up all the players too?

No, same reasons as goaline technology...it would be being brought in to satisfy TV fans' voyeurism. Theres a rulebook that covers all this. If the players cant behave, enforce the present rules to their full extent. Sending off those using foul language on the pitch as the rules allow would solve it. I blame Graham Poll wanting to be John Terry's mate, shows you what a good judge of charcter some refs are. Better to be characterless and a cunt on the pitch than the present situation where that fucker yesterday was sweet talked into not at least booking Sterling by Gerrard, then sending Colo off for not making contact (although I do agree it was a red for intent alone, but you can see the inconsistancy due to the influence of a player with 80 odd England caps).

If you got a ref with a good sense of humour, it could be canny funny. Imagine some of the put-downs you could deliver to these moron players when they get out of line.

It would make games unbroadcastable though.

There's no reason the officials conversations couldn't be recorded and emailed off with the reports after the game and only listened to when a dodgy event happens.

I'd be fucking pissed off if i was a ref on the relatively tiny money they get though, there;s not been a sniff of unprofessional behaviour from them on that score as far back as i can remember. This one suggestion of impropriety comes along and they're all gonna get miked up and the big brother treatment.

Players have been getting hauled over the coals for years for their lack of professionalism when it comes to holding their tongue, and I've never heard a whisper about recording them.

This stinks to me. It's like when someones kids have been naughty at school and the parents go after the teachers rather than siding with the teachers in a united front of discipline against the child who needs to buck their coddled ideas up.

One thing that really annoys me is the amount of times Suarez shows petulance to officials by waving his arms about and kicking off when he hasn't got a decision for one of his theatrics, yet he never ever gets booked for dissent. Same with the amount of times in the past we've clearly seen Rooney shouting fuck off right in front of the official's face.

Just so it's clear, I am not advocating this so that there can be a tighter rein on the Refs, it's all about the players for me.

There's no reason the officials conversations couldn't be recorded and emailed off with the reports after the game and only listened to when a dodgy event happens.

I'd be fucking pissed off if i was a ref on the relatively tiny money they get though, there;s not been a sniff of unprofessional behaviour from them on that score as far back as i can remember. This one suggestion of impropriety comes along and they're all gonna get miked up and the big brother treatment.

Players have been getting hauled over the coals for years for their lack of professionalism when it comes to holding their tongue, and I've never heard a whisper about recording them.

This stinks to me. It's like when someones kids have been naughty at school and the parents go after the teachers rather than siding with the teachers in a united front of discipline against the child who needs to buck their coddled ideas up.

Abso-fucking-lutely. All the spiel about respect for referees is hot air. What needs to happen first is stamping out the disrespecting of referees which should come with cards and bans. If they are serious about it, hit the players and clubs where it hurts. It'll take a couple of seasons to get used to it and there may be a shit load of sendings off for those couple of years, but it would soon die down and the game would be the better for it in the long run. A refs job seems the most undesirable thing in football for me by a country mile (including sharing punditry duties with the likes of Ray Wilkins) - No breaks, All abuse. Fair enough they fuck up sometimes, but i'd prefer it to a stop/start game when a contested decision is reviewed by external referees using technology during game time.

Edited by ADP

Referees rightly get stick because they cheat. Remember that 10 yard rule that was implemented a few years ago.If a player showed dissent,the ref would give the opposing team the option of moving the free kick 10 yards forward.This was brought in because refs were not punishing dissent,so the cheating refs decided not to give free kicks,just like before,so nothing changed.If referees stopped cheating,the game would improve.That makem centre half went through the back of Ba and never received a yellow card ( nor did we receive a free kick ) so the ref cheated us.Larson's kung fu kick on Shola should have been a yellow card.The cheating ref never produced a yellow so we were cheated.Sterling's challenge last Sunday warranted a yellow card.He never got one so the ref cheated us.

If I was a ref I'd be telling them all before any game, swear at me and you get a yellow, if I think you could have stayed on your feet but you go down you get a yellow, wrestle at a corner you get a yellow, be down to 5 a side until the thick cheating overpaid twats wised up.

O/T Would love the stump mic's in cricket broadcast, the commentators already get the feed.

Catch 22 for the refs. They get great write ups and press for "not ruining the game".

Imagine the dogs abuse for a ref who books 15 players and sends off 4 off his own back. There'd be hell on even if the FA directed them to take that approach across the board.

I'm all for it.

Catch 22 for the refs. They get great write ups and press for "not ruining the game".

Imagine the dogs abuse for a ref who books 15 players and sends off 4 off his own back. There'd be hell on even if the FA directed them to take that approach across the board.

I'm all for it.

The thing that gets me is, IF they did stamp down on all the shit that goes on, it'd only be carnage for a game or two, at most, and the ultimate result would be much better IMO.

As someone who referees up to four times a week, it isn't black and white.

It's about context a lot of the time.

A player swears for all sorts of reasons, sometimes out of frustration at himself. Those saying that's 'fecking bullshit' as they wander back in to position because they disagree with your decision are just potty mouthed and not really deserving of a card. There are some refs who have an intolerance to bad language though and will lob about cards for that sort of thing. The one that I always clamp down on is the snarly in your face types and those who throw abuse/name calling.

FWIW, there are referees who wouldn't want to be miked up because they'll be pretty terse with players as well.

Do people honestly care that they swear? Couldnt care less about that. It's the complaining and trying to win decisions that annoys me. Only the captain should be talking to refs unless personally addressed.