The Lake District

dbsweeney

Hello

In early December, my wife and I will be visiting the UK. For my wife, it'll be her first visit and for me my first since the late 80s.

As part of it, I'll be visiting Newcastle for the first time since I spent the first five years of my life there (during the 70s) and--the whole point we're visiting the UK--I'll be attending my first ever Newcastle game. A life-long dream will have been fulfilled!

Anyhow, our simple itinerary is to visit Newcastle for the NUFC v Wigan game and then meander our way down to the capital for Fulham v NUFC the following Sunday.

In between, we want to make a couple of stops for stayovers and in particular we want to visit the Lake District.

Now, my wife and I aren't really party animals, but we love good scenery and a great meal (within cost).

Can any of you suggest the best village, town or otherwise to stay at in the Lake District.

I'd greatly appreciate your advice.

Also, if you have any other suggestions for blow-your-socks-off places to visit, please add those too!

Thanks

Edited by dbsweeney

What's your budget? I would recommend Grasmere probably, it's in the heart of the lakes with some canny not too strenuous walks. December is tricky though.

Edited by Renton

Grasmere

Braithwaite

Ambleside (albeit getting too busy now for me)

Hawkshead

I would also possibly visit the Dales & Peaks on your way down too if you like decent scenery

Malham

Settle

Reeth

Tan Hill (Highest boozer in the UK albeit IMO a shit hole)

Matlock (like a seaside town inland)

Bakewell

Chatsworth

Stanage

Visit High Cup Nick in December it will be gorgeous if covered in snow/frost.

I aint a fan of Durham per say, most prob because of all the students, but the architecture there is great. The Catherderal as J69 says, is gorgeous.

Edited by wykikitoon

You cant just go to a game in Newcastle without visting the rest of the ancient Kingdom of Northumbria mind...I can see time is tight for you dbs but if you can squeeze in Lindisfarne and Bamburgh you should.

QFT

You cant just go to a game in Newcastle without visting the rest of the ancient Kingdom of Northumbria mind...I can see time is tight for you dbs but if you can squeeze in Lindisfarne and Bamburgh you should.

Cant see the point in things like this. Bamburgh. There's the castle, there's the sand, there's the sea..... its fucking freezing, back in the car.

Google a nice picture and be done.

Durham, a shit hole basically with a canny church (if you are into churches). Much much better to go to York instead which has the gorgeous minster AND a canny city to roam around, particularly the shambles. The Christmas markets will all be on as well.

Grasmere is lovely. Not much to do if you stay longer than a weekend though. The drive through windermere up into the hills and backdown onto the a69 is one of the nicest drives in the country

This. And Ambleside. i had a lush meal last year in a pub overlooking Lake Ullswater - They were a hotel/B and B too I believe with excellent food and prices. Can't remember the name of if for the life of me but the owners were french and it had an amazing view of the lake.

Agree on Durham tbh. The cathedral is great, but the city centre looks very run down - probably cos it's overrun with arsehole students.

Your comment on Bamburgh is nonsense though. Spoken like a regular attendee to the Sunderland Air Show and the Yorkshire Gyppo Farmer Fest tbh. :razz:

Cant see the point in things like this. Bamburgh. There's the castle, there's the sand, there's the sea..... its fucking freezing, back in the car.

Durham, a shit hole basically with a canny church (if you are into churches). Much much better to go to York instead which has the gorgeous minster AND a canny city to roam around, particularly the shambles. The Christmas markets will all be on as well.

There's always the Great fucking Yorkshire Show too :rolleyes:

Edit; beaten to the gutpunch.

There's always the Great fucking Yorkshire Show too :rolleyes:

Aye, ask any woman.

Pet, would you like to freeze your nips off driving for an hour to stand outside the car for five minutes in December and look how nice the castle looks against the sea and sand. Quick photo op then another hour back to civilisation.

or Pet, Ye Olde Yorkshire Show.... Cake tents, pastry tents, ......... ;)

Aye, ask any woman.

Pet, would you like to freeze your nips off driving for an hour to stand outside the car for five minutes in December and look how nice the castle looks against the sea and sand. Quick photo op then another hour back to civilisation.

or Pet, Ye Olde Yorkshire Show.... Cake tents, pastry tents, ......... ;)

You remember when Johnnie Vaughan and Denise Van Outen used to do the fat Americans on the Big Breakfast? Elastic top jeans and massive fat suits. That's how I picture you and your lass from now on. :razz:

Or the Golightlys off Beadle's About.

Thats probably because there is no greasy spoon there, or its too far for fat fuckers to walk.

Northumbria is a great shout PaddockLad.

From Trip Advisor.....

Basically - a rich Victorian industrialist bought a derelict castle and turned it into fancy holiday home! Motley collections of crockery etc

We trailed through Victorian kitchen areas and a childish, grotty, dusty mock-up of a dungeon (presumably designed by Hammer House of Horror).

Expensive and a waste of a day!

This 'castle' is just a manufactured folly set up by some wealthy family who want to make people pay extautionate money to walk around their house and show off how wealthy they are.

£9 per adult,which leaves you,a hand full of rooms,fenced and padlocked areas your not allowed to go

the scottish should have flattend it 500 years ago

Very expensive to get in and when your there not much to look at as most of the rooms are locked

and of course...

best thing about the castle is the road that leaves it!!!!

:lol:

From Trip Advisor.....

Basically - a rich Victorian industrialist bought a derelict castle and turned it into fancy holiday home! Motley collections of crockery etc

We trailed through Victorian kitchen areas and a childish, grotty, dusty mock-up of a dungeon (presumably designed by Hammer House of Horror).

Expensive and a waste of a day!

This 'castle' is just a manufactured folly set up by some wealthy family who want to make people pay extautionate money to walk around their house and show off how wealthy they are.

£9 per adult,which leaves you,a hand full of rooms,fenced and padlocked areas your not allowed to go

the scottish should have flattend it 500 years ago

Very expensive to get in and when your there not much to look at as most of the rooms are locked

and of course...

best thing about the castle is the road that leaves it!!!!

:lol:

Thats by some gimp who most probably drove there in their taxi, didnt see anything vijazzle to hold their attention so fucked off home to get onto one of the "moment hobbies" like making fires out of horse shit :glare:

CT, Bamburgh and Lindisfarne aren't significant because of what you can see today, although that, certainly in Bamburgh's case, is impressive. Its what happened there 1500-1000 years ago that helped shape the present we are experiencing in the 21st century which is significant. I'm not remotely religious but walking in the shadow of St Cuthbert and St Aidan on Lindisfarne is magical. Pick the right day/tide and its one of the most eerily atmospheric and peaceful places in the UK.

Edited by PaddockLad

CT, Bamburgh and Lindisfarne aren't significant because of what you can see today, although that, certainly in Bamburgh's case, is impressive. Its what happened there 1500-1000 years ago that helped shape the present we are experiencing in the 21st century which is significant. I'm not remotely religious but walking in the shadow of St Cuthbert and St Aidan on Lindisfarne is magical. Pick the right day/tide and its one of the most eerily atmospheric and peaceful places in the UK.

Each to their own I guess, but if Id travelled thousands of miles and was here for limited time, it would definitely not be on my to do list.

A stadium tour obviously is a must so get that booked.

As is a trip to the Trent so you can walk in the shadows of Fish, Gemmil, Renton, Chez etc ;)

Edited by Christmas Tree

Each to their own I guess, but if Id travelled thousands of miles and was here for limited time, it would definitely not be on my to do list.

A stadium tour obviously is a must so get that booked.

As is a trip to the Trent so you can walk in the shadows of Fish, Gemmil, Renton, Chez etc ;)

I would rather I went somewhere with history rather than seeing where a bunch of overpaird fuckers get washed.

But, like you say, each to their own :P