Charities...what's it all about. (Alfie)

wolfy

Having worked with a number of charities, the vast majority are not simply lining the pockets of the wealthy. Most are run by people who care about the cause and are generally remunerated less than they would have been in the private sector in similar role.

At the bottom end, I agree. Not at the top end though, which is my issue.

And again I'm talking about the big organisations.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a director of a charity were to ply his/her trade in the private sector at the same level of responsibility, they'd be paid more.

Unsurprisingly it's not a black and white subject; there are charities that are disreputable, there are charities that are pillars of the community. Some small charities are shits, some large ones are spotless.

One of those clipboard lasses who stand in your way once tutted: "oh you just don't care" when I said I wasn't going to donate.

Bloody cheek of it! I hate when some student gets in my way and tries to do the whole 'best mates' routine. Easiest way to get them to piss off is to just say I'm not interested, don't waste your time.

My lass worked for one of these companies and they're utter, utter cathwords to a man. They were telling these students on about £6 an hour to knock on doors and to leave their foot in so people couldn't close the door on them!

This is your charities.

Let's see how many have had this done.

I was doing my garden on day, a few years ago and this student looking lad comes sauntering up the path with his shoulder bag on.

He says, 'hiya mate, do you have a dog'...I said 'yeah'...he then went into a big story of how people are cruel to animals and told me and my daughter (who was in the garden helping me) that he bets our dog is well looked after, to which we replied, 'oh yeah, he's spoilt if the truth be known.'

He then went on to say what good work the R.S.P.C.A were doing but for them to keep on doing the good work, they need more donations.

I listened and agreed with him.

My daughter, who was about 17 at the time and at uni, with her little part time job working in an arcade started up a conversation with the lad. (female hormones and all that I think)

Anyway, the lad got to the nitty gritty and it came down to our bank details of which we both decided to fill out the form and donate £5 a month each.

I said to the lad, ' well, it's a good cause and I hate to see people being cruel to animals, so I'm happy to contribute'...then I said to the lad, ' it takes people like you to give up their time to help the cause, so good on you mate.'

He then said, ' oh I'm just on commission mate, this isn't the only one I do...I do other charities as well.'

I thought, well yer fucker, you don't give a fuck what any of us have said, you just have the gift of the gab and the persona to fit a criteria but I'd already committed so I just went with the flow.

Now how's this for silliness.

My daughter gets a letter from the R.S.P.C.A informing her that she can't donate as she is under 18. She said, ' well how stupid are these people turning down regular monthly donations.'

Anyway I thought, well fuck you lot, I'm cancelling mine, so I had the direct debit withdrawn at the bank.

A few MONTHS later, I get a phone call from the R.S.P.C.A while I was at work and my wife told told them I wasn't in and to ring at tea time.

They didn't, yet decided to ring 3 or 4 times a week to get me back on board with them, yet each time it was through the day and eventually they told my wife that my donations were really valued.

The dafter part is, they never took a penny from me as I cancelled before any monies came out.

The point is, your money is important to them and you are an after thought.

I'd sooner buy something that was needed for a cause and give it directly than pay anything through direct debit or to anyone coming to your door who basically don't give a fuck for the charity they represent as they are MAINLY just hired (for want of a better word) mercenaries who get paid for collecting.

This doesn't mean I don't think charities are not a worthy cause, it's just the logistics in how the money gets to the actual cause at hand and what's creamed off in that system before it reaches it's target.

I work for a charity. If you could point me in the direction of the £100k salary I'd be grateful. Also, the year to year insecurity through funding and donations is not massively pretty. You know what though, I get massive job satisfaction from it.

I work for a charity. If you could point me in the direction of the £100k salary I'd be grateful. Also, the year to year insecurity through funding and donations is not massively pretty. You know what though, I get massive job satisfaction from it.

Good for you. You obviously take your job seriously and are glad to help. Hats off to you.

As for the massive salaries, just take a look around you at the bigger charities and I think you will see who's pocketing the big salaries.

Here's just one article that gives you an insight, yet just merely looking around you , you can see who'[s earning the big bucks.

http://uk.oneworld.net/article/view/164003/1/

If we didn't have salaries in charities though, they wouldn't run. There are also loads of down sides; lack of job security, lack of resources, no 'perks' that public and private industry gets like travel expenses etc. Plus if any of us were to pull a sicky it's a massive pain in the arse for the rest of the team. If I take annual leave I have to be massively prepped as well, can't just say 'I think I'll have tomorrow off.'

This has gone a bit ranty now, sorry.

That's a far calmer reply than I'd have been able to give to this ignorant dickwad. Well done.

If we didn't have salaries in charities though, they wouldn't run. There are also loads of down sides; lack of job security, lack of resources, no 'perks' that public and private industry gets like travel expenses etc. Plus if any of us were to pull a sicky it's a massive pain in the arse for the rest of the team. If I take annual leave I have to be massively prepped as well, can't just say 'I think I'll have tomorrow off.'

But you're right. This is the point I was trying to make earlier. If it is a well ran charity that brings in millions for the cause, then you need someone with the knowledge and experience to run it and command £100K (for example). If you say we can only pay £30K then you will get £30Ks worth of quality in that role and very likely those millions coming in will shrink. Its not pretty but it is reality.

Like I explained earlier in the thread. I have no issues with people being paid a living wage to do the job as I know people cannot just devote all their time to a charity and have to suffer themselves, as everyone needs to be able to survive.

My issue is with those at the top who clearly cream off sickly amounts of money for their own salaries.

The same bosses would rather cut things elsewhere if finances drop, rather than taking a pay cut themselves.

It's people like you that put the effort in for scant reward, yet accept it for what it is that keeps these charities running.

A charity is exactly what it says, it gives and should give the maximum possible , less expenses.

Someone on a moderate wage, working all week for a large charity, who puts in the time and effort because they are dedicated..deserve what they get and then some.

Those at the top (in many cases) are there to line their own pockets at the expense of those for who the charity is supposed to aid.

What if they bring in 500,000k the charity would otherwise not have had?

It depends on the circumstances as to how they managed to do it and what help they had in achieving it.

For instance. If I ran 10 marathons all over the world and amassed £600,000 for charity after expenses, then what would you say if you saw in the paper that I'd gave the charity £500,000 and kept £100,000 for myself?

It all depends on what's done to achieve a fIgure which determines whether it's ethical to take a spoil of something that is designed to benefit a charity.

For instance. If I ran 10 marathons all over the world and amassed £600,000 for charity after expenses, then what would you say if you saw in the paper that I'd gave the charity £500,000 and kept £100,000 for myself?

I'd understand the difference between a voluntary fundraiser and an employee, for a start. You clearly don't.