Newcastle sign four year shirt deal with ''Wonga''

Holden McGroin

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And apparently your young'uns heard it a lot?

I dunno, I didn't stalk them day and night when they were playing out, but they used it/said it as young'uns and young'uns tend to pick things up and then use them regularly, they must have heard it to use it.

Your point is ???

I dunno, I didn't stalk them day and night when they were playing out, but they used it/said it as young'uns and young'uns tend to pick things up and then use them regularly, they must have heard it to use it.

Your point is ???

I was jokingly inferring your kids were "Scotchys", obviously

Don't take things so seriously man. :lol:

End of the day, I'm amazed that the origin of a fucking slang term has rumbled on for 2 days, when anecdotal evidence is (so far) the only tool either side is using to further their own argument.

I was jokingly inferring your kids were "Scotchys", obviously

Don't take things so seriously man. :lol:

End of the day, I'm amazed that the origin of a fucking slang term has rumbled on for 2 days, when anecdotal evidence is (so far) the only tool either side is using to further their own argument.

Inference went wooosh sadly :blush2:

That said, it's hardly anecdotal when several folks outside the "sphere of Scotchie" (or Scotchy) have heard the word, despite one side of the arguments total denial.

Edited by Toonpack

Inference went wooosh sadly :blush2:

That said, it's hardly anecdotal when several folks outside the "sphere of Scotchie" (or Scotchy) have heard the word, despite one side of the arguments total denial.

Um, that is anecdotal

Would stand up in court (under oath obviously)

That's irrelevant.

My point is that both sides are using anecdotal evidence as the base for their argument. You'd have to collate hundreds of respondents to a carefully constructed survey to accurately place the origin of this term, if you insists on using nothing more than anecdotes.

Did anyone call kids that were into metal 'heavy sweaties' when they were younger? I thought it was a nationwide term of abuse but my mates down here had never heard of it. Then a mate from Pontland told me he wasn't familiar with it either.

Anyone I recall from my school days was 'chos'. As in mint. I think that might have been a Washington thing.

That's irrelevant.

My point is that both sides are using anecdotal evidence as the base for their argument. You'd have to collate hundreds of respondents to a carefully constructed survey to accurately place the origin of this term, if you insists on using nothing more than anecdotes.

You have wrong end of the stick Fishy.

The argument is not about the origin, (I wouldn't have a clue where it came from, I did put forward a tongue in cheek theory mind) the point is/was about a statement made along the lines that "no-one outside of the west end and definitely down the coast" had ever said/heard of said word, several persons outside of the west end have stated that is not the case, me amongst them.

The wife is awake now and as a cullercoats lass she confirms that she would never use "scotchy", although when pressed for her understanding of what it meant she knew it was a charver.

What sample size do we need to make this the official coastal "scotchy" awareness?

Growing up in Felling (23 Woodlands Terrace then 2 Heatherwell Green if you're particularly interested), we struggled to look down on anyone other than those from the Old Fold, which was actually called The Nest & Heather Grove was its main drag.

I think those from the Old Fold used to look down on those from Saltmeadows; those from Saltmeadows had nowhere else to look.....

Did anyone call kids that were into metal 'heavy sweaties' when they were younger? I thought it was a nationwide term of abuse but my mates down here had never heard of it. Then a mate from Pontland told me he wasn't familiar with it either.

Can't say we did. They just tended to get "peace, man" at regular intervals (because peace is a bad thing, obviously).

Do you understand what the word "seem" means?

There's absolutely no need to be a patronising wank in this thread, I'll try not to lower myself to that level.

:lol: Brilliant. Maybe next time eh?

Returning for a moment to the knowledge/use of Scotchie/Scotchy at the coast.

A straw poll of my coastal FB chums has an early score of 5-1 in favour of "knowing/heard of/used the word" the one "nay" in the poll is from my daughter in law......................................................................................................................................................................................................she's from the west end :D

I could ask 100 of my mates my age (hang, lets call that people I know) and I guarantee 100 would know it. As to whether it was ever used at the coast, Id say it was bound to have been as any local term generally spreads around the area. Oddly they seem to hit a shit wall when they get to Mackemland and a few terms they use I've never heard of. For example "panackelty" or however the fuck you spell it. Id never heard of it until I heard a mackem say it. Common south of the tyne Im told like Jarrow/Hebburn down to Shields etc.

I could ask 100 of my mates my age (hang, lets call that people I know) and I guarantee 100 would know it. As to whether it was ever used at the coast, Id say it was bound to have been as any local term generally spreads around the area. Oddly they seem to hit a shit wall when they get to Mackemland and a few terms they use I've never heard of. For example "panackelty" or however the fuck you spell it. Id never heard of it until I heard a mackem say it. Common south of the tyne Im told like Jarrow/Hebburn down to Shields etc.

Never heard panackelty. Is it a fish dish?.

Isn't it some sort of ham thing?

I'm fairly sure Scotchy isn't used at all in Wallsend/North Shields area. I'll do a check with the lads tonight when I'm out although I think it's going to be mainly early twenties I'm out with so I don't know if that will impact it.

Isn't it some sort of ham thing?

I'm fairly sure Scotchy isn't used at all in Wallsend/North Shields area. I'll do a check with the lads tonight when I'm out although I think it's going to be mainly early twenties I'm out with so I don't know if that will impact it.

Doubt it's used many places these days, been superceded by charva I reckon. Be interesting if your mates know it, my lads are mid/late 20's and they knew it.