Newcastle sign four year shirt deal with ''Wonga''

Holden McGroin

Scotchie is a phrase only people from the West End and beyond seem to know. I've said it to people from the coast and Wallsend and they think you're on about jocks.

Absolute shite, imo its a phrase that comes from the coast. Certainly was us using it when we were kids and not the scotchies from the west end.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Oz used Charva in the second series of Auf Wiedersehen so it's been around for that long. Coming from Wallsend it's a term I've known for years and I have to say I've never heard of Scotchies.

Aye irrespective of what Toonpack says, it's not a word used by people down the coast and North Tyneside generally, where for people from Newcastle it's used commonly. Spot on re charva it's at least 25 years old.

Absolute shite, imo its a phrase that comes from the coast. Certainly was us using it when we were kids and not the scotchies from the west end.

Well you're entitled to your opinion on this, but as far as I'm concerned it's UTTER wank, as David Kelly a kid from North Tyneside mentioned. He'd never even heard of it. I've heard the word Scotchy as in people from Scotswood for well over 25 years and of the 270,000 people in Newcastle the vast majority will know it or use it, and it would make sense that the people closest to Scotswood, i.e. people in other parts of Newcastle would be more prone to use them. Also there used to be a slight rivalry between East End and West End, the coast never even came in to it. Edited by McFaul

In fact, isnt scotchie the name for people who live on scotswood road?

Nar, and never was. When I was at school anyone from Scotswood, was from Scotchy, and was a Scotchy. It could also be used to as a generic insult occasionally to people who weren't from Scotswood, "he's a pure scotchy that kid", meaning the kid in question was a tramp.

When I was at school early 80s scotswood/Benwell was one of the worst places in Newcastle. Hence calling someone a scotchy meant they were a tramp.

Charver was slightly different really as it became people who talked through their nose, wore a tracksuit and Burberry cap etc.

Bit like when I was at school the lasses like this were called Sharon's. With their huge ear rings and massive fringes :lol:

I don't think the word chav was even thought of when I was at school.

We used to have normal names for people.

Stuff like, 'scruffy cunt'.

The only bling the lads and lasses wore at school was out of the bubbly machine.

Most of the lasses were about 6 foot 5 like, due to the massive shoes they wore....sasha's I think they were called.

When I was at school early 80s scotswood/Benwell was one of the worst places in Newcastle. Hence calling someone a scotchy meant they were a tramp.

Charver was slightly different really as it became people who talked through their nose, wore a tracksuit and Burberry cap etc.

Bit like when I was at school the lasses like this were called Sharon's. With their huge ear rings and massive fringes :lol:

Aye and also in general conversation things like "Scotchy Sports Centre", "Mary Bell was from Scotchy". Was a Newcastle word. Aye the lasses were Sharon's and the lads Trevor's. The charva lass would wear white stiletto's I only knew this because my older sister, who is much older used to say it all the time being a snobby little madam, and she's got even more snobby as the years have went by.

Nar, and never was. When I was at school anyone from Scotswood, was from Scotchy, and was a Scotchy. It could also be used to as a generic insult occasionally to people who weren't from Scotswood, "he's a pure scotchy that kid", meaning the kid in question was a tramp.

So what you mean is yes it was :lol: And don't tell me what words we used as nippers, you weren't even dressing yourself you cheeky fuck. It was a derogatory term used in Whitley in the early 80s if not before to refer to kids from scotswood. You were talking shite.

So what you mean is yes it was :lol: And don't tell me what words we used as nippers, you weren't even dressing yourself you cheeky fuck. It was a derogatory term used in Whitley in the early 80s if not before to refer to kids from scotswood. You were talking shite.

I wasn't talking shite ye cheeky cunt, the kid from Wallsend even contradicted you, HE LIVES IN WALLSEND and he'd never heard it used there, then the most ridiculous assertion was that in your opinion that people are more likely to use the term comes if they're from the coast :lol: It's like saying people from Newcastle are more likely to have a derogatory term for people from the Meadow Well. It's ridiculous beyond belief.

It was term we used to refer to people from that area of the west end, it surprises me that people from the west end refer to themselves as utter bamps that's all, as that's what it means. You obviously celebrate it, each to their own.

It was term we used to refer to people from that area of the west end, it surprises me that people from the west end refer to themselves as utter bamps that's all, as that's what it means. You obviously celebrate it, each to their own.

I'm from the West side of Newcastle but not the "West End". The same as JawD and Peasepud. The West End in the context you're talking about is the area from the West Road to Scotswood Road, North and South, and Scotswood Sport Centre to the Villa Victoria, West to East. People from Newcastle who aren't from these areas call people within this area "Scotchy's" and more specifically people actually from Scotswood as "Scotchy's". The area I've described doesn't even cover 1/4 of Newcastle upon Tyne. Scotchy was a word you used to hear 20 times a day. I'm still at a loss to understand the the logic behind your assertion as to why you think it would be more used in Whitley Bay?!? than in Newcastle. Personally when I haven't got enough knowledge to talk about something in depth, the last thing I do is accuse people of talking shite, I think other people should use the same principle.

Quite simple Stevie, it was a common word you said wasnt used by people outside of the centre of town.That's the nonsense you were talking. You also questioned that which is just absurd. I think it's funny that you want to take ownership of it, it's like black people and the word nigger in the 60s.

Scotchy may have been used across the town, but it originated as a name for people from Scotswood and perhaps Elswick/Benwell/Cruddas but Scotswood seems logical.

Nah it wasn't. Likely started there and spread if imagine. I asked wor lass (she is from Holywell, though younger) and he remembers Scotchy but reckons it wasn't common and she didn't know the Scotswood bit.

Nah it wasn't. Likely started there and spread if imagine. I asked wor lass (she is from Holywell, though younger) and he remembers Scotchy but reckons it wasn't common and she didn't know the Scotswood bit.

As I thought, and as David Kelly confirmed before, I knew it wasn't a common thing down there.

Quite simple Stevie, it was a common word you said wasnt used by people outside of the centre of town.That's the nonsense you were talking. You also questioned that which is just absurd. I think it's funny that you want to take ownership of it, it's like black people and the word nigger in the 60s.

Comfortably the worst analogy I've seen on this board. I'm not a Scotchy, but it's a phrase people from Newcastle use to describe a section of the population of an area within Newcastle. The word nigger is a racist term to describe a black person, they are rightly or wrongly the same thing.

This bit made me laugh too....

In fact, isnt scotchie the name for people who live on scotswood road?

Considering that no one has actually lived on Scotswood Road for at least 40 years, unless there are people living above Sven Adult Books.

Edited by McFaul

I was referring to Scotswood, Benwell and Elswick, the road runs through all 3. You're just pissed off because you were trying to claim a word as specific to the west end when that wasn't true and every single one of my mates would tell you the same thing. Professional Geordie didnt know it was a term used by everyone from all over the area. The shame of it.

I was referring to Scotswood, Benwell and Elswick, the road runs through all 3. You're just pissed off because you were trying to claim a word as specific to the west end when that wasn't true and every single one of my mates would tell you the same thing. Professional Geordie didnt know it was a term used by everyone from all over the area. The shame of it.

It doesn't run through them at all, there's between 1/4 and 1/2 a mile buffer before there's any population to the North of Scotswood Road. Everyone? Well a kid born and bred hadn't heard it, and someone from the coast said it was very uncommon, while you made the ludicrous claim it originated down there.

Edited by McFaul

How do you know the history of the term, how do you know where it originated? All I know I I was using the term many years before you were. Unless you've been discussing slang terms In use in the 1970s with another qualified professional.

So if the road can't be described as running through those 3 places, tell me Stevie which areas of Newcastle does it run through?

Edited by ChezGiven