Work Shy On Benefits

Christmas Tree

Not remotely partisan are you CT? Thought all parties were the same? FYI the story was front page of the metro this morning, which is hardly a left wing paper.

I just can't understand how you can be happy with 'solutions' like this bearing in mind you have kids who are nearly grown up? Whoever is to blame, doesn't youth unemployment and lack of opportunities bother you? Do Tebbit-like sound bites not irritate?

It's exactly outside the box solutions we need for youth. Let's be clear, he's talking about the kids who leave school at 16 and have little hope. What's better paying them to go and study beauty or other crap courses or getting them into a real working environment and gaining real skills.

I'm my day it was the YTS (???) schemes that paid a pittance but got you off your arse and usually lead to a proper job.

It worked then and would be of a lot more use to lots of kids today than the alternative of dole or worthless college course.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's exactly outside the box solutions we need for youth. Let's be clear, he's talking about the kids who leave school at 16 and have little hope. What's better paying them to go and study beauty or other crap courses or getting them into a real working environment and gaining real skills.

I'm my day it was the YTS (???) schemes that paid a pittance but got you off your arse and usually lead to a proper job.

It worked then and would be of a lot more use to lots of kids today than the alternative of dole or worthless college course.

Dont you think theyres a miriad of things out there like that nowdays?....fact is skilled skilled workers in the traditional "trades" are either mostly Polish or at least my age. The "apprenticeships" nowadays are are all in Tesco's or MacDonalds. Low paid, service sector shit. People want to work, but they want it to be worth their while. They dont want a bunch of management/corporate bigwigs using the credit crunch/recession/lack of growth as an excuse to pay people next to fuck all.

Dont you think theyres a miriad of things out there like that nowdays?....fact is skilled skilled workers in the traditional "trades" are either mostly Polish or at least my age. The "apprenticeships" nowadays are are all in Tesco's or MacDonalds. Low paid, service sector shit. People want to work, but they want it to be worth their while. They dont want a bunch of management/corporate bigwigs using the credit crunch/recession/lack of growth as an excuse to pay people next to fuck all.

Unfortunately while I agree with ideal you describe, I think you also have to have a sense of realism about these things.

The good old skilled jobs have gone and there's little point fighting against the tide. However if a couple of years on a YTS with Asda, gets a kid a permanent job two years down the line then great.

It's how my mate became a mechanic and I became a butcher.

Unfortunately while I agree with ideal you describe, I think you also have to have a sense of realism about these things.

The good old skilled jobs have gone and there's little point fighting against the tide. However if a couple of years on a YTS with Asda, gets a kid a permanent job two years down the line then great.

It's how my mate became a mechanic and I became a butcher.

But two years at Asda qualifies you for fuck all but sweeping the fuckin storeroom CT. Not everyone is going to graduate from that to being a management trainee. It keeps people in low paid, service sector jobs. "Growth" is the current buzzword but if we're almost completley service sector based our economy wont grow at all because you can only have so many supermarkets etc. Thats the fuckin trouble. But its not the case in Germany. Read what Parky says. Not a tory thing either, labour did fuck all for their core voting constituency whilst in power and some of them even turned to the fuckin bnp..

But two years at Asda qualifies you for fuck all but sweeping the fuckin storeroom CT. Not everyone is going to graduate from that to being a management trainee. It keeps people in low paid, service sector jobs. "Growth" is the current buzzword but if we're almost completley service sector based our economy wont grow at all because you can only have so many supermarkets etc. Thats the fuckin trouble. But its not the case in Germany. Read what Parky says. Not a tory thing either, labour did fuck all for their core voting constituency whilst in power and some of them even turned to the fuckin bnp..

Again I agree with the principal and while its lovely to want to be like Germany its debatable whether its possible but we still have to deal with the here and now. The here and now for a lot is the service sector, like it or not.

As for an employer like Asda there is a whole host of customer service related things they can teach a kid. When I was a director of a retail firm I took three girls on via YTS and each of them were kept on and and grew with the company. Even paid for some of them to go and do HND's.

My recollection of the YTS scheme was it was shit. I didn't do it myself but loads of my mates did and all thiught the training was rubbish; without exception they 'bettered' themselves by going back to college and getting vocational qualifications, mainly in IT.

My recollection of the YTS scheme was it was shit. I didn't do it myself but loads of my mates did and all thiught the training was rubbish; without exception they 'bettered' themselves by going back to college and getting vocational qualifications, mainly in IT.

Horses for courses.

Think there was a lot of luck involved in what you got tbf.

I can only really comment on two times, once as an employee and once as an employer. It was great for me and my mates in 1981. Got us off our arses and gave us a taste of responsibility and money. Helped me get my first motorbike and enough "pocket money" for a 16 year old.

As en employer (1995 - 2002) the company policy was to get young smart kids on YTS and train them "our way". I personally took on 3 girls who are still there now and have moved on to decent to good positions within that organisation. As I mentioned earlier we paid for one of them to do an HND at Sunderland Uni.

Obviously we would all like a different landscape with jobs galore, but to simplify this to greedy big business wanting work for nowt is missing the point and an opportunity.

I started off as a lowly trainee making cups of tea and sweeping the floors, plus running out to get sandwiches and pies.

Two years later, I got my own building to sweep with only tea to make.

10 years after that, I got a baseball cap and a wider sweeping brush and 2 massive areas to sweep, plus a galvanised bin.....on wheels I might add or boast.

Hard work paid off for me , because now I have a bib'n' brace and new black shiny boots with supererviserer on it as I'm in charge of a 16 year old school leaver who I can tell to sweep up if I want to.

I'm not a bad supererviserer though, I just say to the lad, "oi, James, sweep up will yeah" and he just does.

I've rose up from £1.85 an hour to £3.21 an hour and if anyone comes nosing, I have to say I'm Polish, which is nice of them to trust me with the Polish language but between us lot, I can't speak a fucking word of it, so I'll just act more dumberer than I am. :thumbup:

I started off as a lowly trainee making cups of tea and sweeping the floors, plus running out to get sandwiches and pies.

Two years later, I got my own building to sweep with only tea to make.

10 years after that, I got a baseball cap and a wider sweeping brush and 2 massive areas to sweep, plus a galvanised bin.....on wheels I might add or boast.

Hard work paid off for me , because now I have a bib'n' brace and new black shiny boots with supererviserer on it as I'm in charge of a 16 year old school leaver who I can tell to sweep up if I want to.

I'm not a bad supererviserer though, I just say to the lad, "oi, James, sweep up will yeah" and he just does.

I've rose up from £1.85 an hour to £3.21 an hour and if anyone comes nosing, I have to say I'm Polish, which is nice of them to trust me with the Polish language but between us lot, I can't speak a fucking word of it, so I'll just act more dumberer than I am. :thumbup:

Go to the mountain where the ice closes and solitude wraps one like ghost and rids the body of all weariness and pain.

Important to Germany are its traditional industries of steel and coal mining - both heavily subsidised and still large employers. Precision engineering remains a strong area. Aerospace is a small but growing industry - also heavily subsidised - and German companies often join with companies from other EU countries.

But it is the emerging economies that provide the biggest subsidies. Russia, China and India are leading examples, although they have begun to cut subsidies. More surprisingly, the International Energy Agency (IEA) has identified Iran as energy spendthrifts, using approximately a third of its annual budget to keep prices down.

The IEA estimated that global subsidies to fossil fuels were around $400bn in 2010, and that was one-third higher than in the previous year because of rising energy prices.

After unification, the combined subsidies of western and eastern budgets rose even higher, and the new all-German government has found itself compelled to provide even more subsidies in order not to permit an excessive level of structural unemployment in the former East Germany. Official East German statistics suggested that the level of subsidies in the GDR budget was 30 percent, but in reality the level may have been much higher because of the generally low level of productivity in the GDR. Although no total figures for German subsidies have been available in the confusion and diversity of programs since unification, the government has already promised to keep a number of unprofitable East German ventures (such as the steel complex around Eisenhüttenstadt and the shipbuilding docks around Rostock) in production until they become competitive--which will not be for decades, if at all.

The steel industry has orchestrated a quiet but effective campaign to shut out foreign competition while receiving taxpayer subsidies. The domestic steel companies have become a powerful special-interest lobby that dominates U.S. steel trade policy and manipulates the political process in order to receive protection from foreign competition rather than modernizing to rise to global productivity and efficiency standards.

In March and April 2012, the dispute moved ahead. On March 23, the WTO’s Dispute Settlement Body (“DSB”) adopted the WTO Appellate Body report in U.S.—Aircraft, confirming that U.S. federal and state subsidies to Boeing breach U.S. WTO obligations. Then, in April, the DSB established a panel to examine the EU‘s alleged failure to comply with the May 2011 Appellate Body report in the EC—Aircraft case, which had found that EU subsidies to Airbus breach EU WTO obligations. In the EC—Aircraft dispute, the Appellate Body confirmed in May 2011that EU subsidies to Airbus cause adverse effects to Boeing. Soon after the six-month compliance deadline expired, the United States initiated compliance proceedings against the EU and also requested DSB authorization to retaliate against $7-10 billion per year in imports of EU goods and services, arguing that the EU had failed to comply with the DSB rulings.[2] The parties then agreed to defer the issue of retaliation until completion of the compliance proceedings.[3] On March 30, 2012, the United States requested a panel under Article 21.5 of the WTO Dispute Settlement Understanding[4] to review EU compliance in EC—Aircraft.[5] The DSB established the panel at its meeting on April 13. A key issue in this dispute will be whether the launch aid for the Airbus A350 aircraft will be found to be within the scope of review.

Frequently, founders of new German energy companies were content to pocket the profits from their subsidised sales and swan around in expensive cars.

Yeah the rest of the so-called free market economies aren't subsidising industry. :lol:

This is fun. :jonas:

Free market capitalism is a myth...

Edited by Park Life

:lol: And the post he was replying to was not confrontational or name calling?

Yeah but he's confrontational and name calling in al his posts qv. Just take a look at the angry broadside Gene had to take in the Thatcha thread.

Edited by Park Life

Yeah but he's confrontational and name calling in al his posts qv. Just take a look at the angry broadside Gene had to take in the Thatcha thread.

I havent read all he's posts but lets remember all newcomers seem to get both barrels. Some give as good as they get, others leave.

Putting aside the subject matter, its nice to have a new poster who can express his arguments they way he does. Im sure everyone will be friends by Christmas. :lol:

I havent read all he's posts but lets remember all newcomers seem to get both barrels. Some give as good as they get, others leave.

Putting aside the subject matter, its nice to have a new poster who can express his arguments they way he does. Im sure everyone will be friends by Christmas. :lol:

No. I will break him. ;)