Brokeback Mountain

Smooth Operator

The land of the free.

Utah cinema pulls gay cowboy film 

A cinema in Utah has pulled a scheduled screening of gay Western movie Brokeback Mountain at the last minute.

The Jordan Commons Megaplex in Salt Lake City is owned by Larry Miller, a prominent member of the Mormon church, which is against homosexuality.

Distributor Focus Features said the cinema "reneged on their licensing agreement" hours before it was to open.

Mike Thompson of gay rights group Equality Utah said it was disappointing people were barred from seeing it.

"It's just a shame that such a beautiful and award-winning film with so much buzz about it is not being made available to a broad Utah audience because of personal bias," he told the Salt Lake Tribune.

The manager of the cinema declined to comment on the cancellation of the screening.

The adult-rated film focuses on the enduring romantic relationship between two cowboys, played by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal.

It has already gained a string of award nominations and is highly tipped as an Oscar contender.

Gayle Ruzicka, president of the conservative Utah Eagle Forum, was in favour of the film being cancelled.

"I just think (pulling the show) tells the young people especially that maybe there is something wrong with this show," she said.

The land of the free.

Utah cinema pulls gay cowboy film 

A cinema in Utah has pulled a scheduled screening of gay Western movie Brokeback Mountain at the last minute.

The Jordan Commons Megaplex in Salt Lake City is owned by Larry Miller, a prominent member of the Mormon church, which is against homosexuality.

Distributor Focus Features said the cinema "reneged on their licensing agreement" hours before it was to open.

Mike Thompson of gay rights group Equality Utah said it was disappointing people were barred from seeing it.

"It's just a shame that such a beautiful and award-winning film with so much buzz about it is not being made available to a broad Utah audience because of personal bias," he told the Salt Lake Tribune.

The manager of the cinema declined to comment on the cancellation of the screening.

The adult-rated film focuses on the enduring romantic relationship between two cowboys, played by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal.

It has already gained a string of award nominations and is highly tipped as an Oscar contender.

Gayle Ruzicka, president of the conservative Utah Eagle Forum, was in favour of the film being cancelled.

"I just think (pulling the show) tells the young people especially that maybe there is something wrong with this show," she said.

77054[/snapback]

That's how the lake got it's name, all the benders discharging there muck in the lake instead cos they knew of the consequences if they were found rimming!

not that i'm encouraging anyone.................

1: promo pic of the movie

2: photoshopping skills

3: photo of certain board member

77199[/snapback]

Saw it last night and have to say I was a bit disappointed considering the reviews it has got. If it weren't for the fact the two central characters were gay it would be very ordinary indeed. Still, I suppose it handled the prejudice gay men must get in Marlboro country, and had some beautiful mountain scenery. But overall not particularly recommended tbh.

There was one funny moment in the cinema when some lad cried out "don't do it!" just before the first "love" scene. Well I laughed anyway. :rolleyes:

There was one funny moment in the cinema when some lad cried out "don't do it!" just before the first "love" scene. Well I laughed anyway.  :(

77307[/snapback]

:rolleyes:

Don't know why, but that reminds me of when I went to see Tears for Fears (ok, stop laughing, they were good). Anyway, Curt's at the mic;

'This next song I wrote about my tough upbringing on a council estate in Bath.'

Brief silence from audience, then;

'BATH? FUCKING LUXURY!'

:lol: