Hamburg

Dr Gloom

You can buy tickets online: https://www.eventims...e/shop/239/home

But because their games often are moved last minute for TV they don't go on sale until quite late.

You also want to be sat/stood in or as close as you can to the north stand with the home supporters group.

The fixure list is always announced about at least two months in advance ("planning").

There's quite a few decent bars/restaurants not far from the ground on Feldstraße. Back in 2009 the Shamrock Irish Bar on Feldstraße was one of the home supporters meeting places.

In Stephansplatz on the Esplanade there is a Hofbrauhaus which is (was) decent for food and drink, with some canny local frauleins as staff.

Alternatively if you want a rest from the strippers, Altona also has some canny bars.

With the original one being in Munich, going to a Hofbräuhaus in Hamburg would be like going to New Zealand to drink Australian wine. Something only someone would do who probably also eats Sauerkraut (i.e. no one in his right state of mind).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fixure list is always announced about at least two months in advance ("planning").

With the original one being in Munich, going to a Hofbräuhaus in Hamburg would be like going to New Zealand to drink Australian wine. Something only someone would do who probably also eats Sauerkraut (i.e. no one in his right state of mind).

Nice to see you Wolfgang.

Of course you are correct about the fixture list being announced two months in advance but as you can see from the current ticket office offerings, you can currently only buy tickets for one match, the 25/09 v AfR Aalen, so regardless of planning one is at the mercy of what is available and when.

Re the Hofbrauhaus, it's a bit better than than going to NZ to drink Australian wine, for starters the waitstaff aren't ewes but considering they're on a bucks weekend in Hamburg not Munich .... no you're correct they should stay on the Reeperbarn until their wallets and bags are empty.

So, start here. This is The Bedford with sitting inside and out and smack in the middle of the Schanze/Sculterblatt scene. Some eve you can smoke inside, but in April you're probably sitting outside anyway.

http://www.bedford-hamburg.de/

SNC11346_original_xlarge.JPG

Bedford-Cafe-Bar-1024x768.jpg

Wide choice of beers good atmosphere and a little studenty (as is the whole of the schanze basically). This road has the most girls in it in the whole of Hamburg. :D

From here you can go to the Hafen and then later to the Reeparbahn (about 1-2 ish).

Edited by Park Life

• 3 months later...

There's arguably no one defined city centre in Hamburg as such - the nightlife bits are separate from the shopping bits, so to speak - but public transport is excellent, so I'd say you'll be fine as long as you locate yourselves either:

- Near the Hauptbahnhof (main railway station) on the St. Georg side, albeit there are obviously a few dodgier bits around there - think whores, kebab houses, gay leather bars, Parky's house, you get the idea. ;) There's plenty in the cheap(ish) and cheerful category there, anyway, from this Ibis near the Alster lake and a hotel in the Novum family to private rooms in the Generator Hostel if you really want to do it on a budget - I stayed in their Berlin hostel on a stag do once and it was fine for the purpose really, it's not as if you'll be spending much (conscious) time there, after all.

- In St. Pauli itself, for easy staggering distance to/from the Reeperbahn, the football, the Schanzenviertel pub/restaurant district that Parky mentioned above, and so on. Might be the best idea for the kind of weekend you have in mind. :) There's another Ibis there in a perfectly good location, and this place looks kind of intriguing (and is rated very highly on Tripadvisor, perhaps surprisingly!).

- As another alternative, by Altona station, which is the centre of public transport gravity on the western side of the centre (and has some decent boozers to the west of the station towards Ottensen, though it's a more residential kind of area). I've stayed at this Best Western before and it was decently priced at the time and perfectly OK, and there are several other hotels along that stretch. Might be a little bit out of the way for what you're after though.

That any use to you at all? To be honest, as long as you put yourselves within a couple of minutes of a well-served U-Bahn/S-Bahn station in the city centre - anywhere within that central "loop" you can see here - you'll basically be fine, so by all means go on price as much as anything else.

Anyone got any accommodation tips in Hamurg? Parky/Meenzer? I want something fairly basic and cheap but in or close to all the lively areas. Any thoughts?

The Generator is brand new and cheap. Looks quite designey from the outside. They have internal food and bar and pass cards. My fav small hotel in hamburg is the Basler Hoff (just by the Alster) or if you want to pay a bit more and stay in a genuine boutique hotel that I've done reviews for go to The Side Hotel. ;)

088ds_side_1_235_108.jpg

http://www.designhot...user=9b8ff8c791

081dsside_2.jpg

Edited by Park Life

Cheers lads. Is staying near the Reeperbahn ill advised? I figured that's where we'd be going on the lash most nights. Is it light for cheap ish hotels or is it a bit too sketchy to stay there? Bear in mind this is a stag of about a dozen guys and we won't be spending much time in he rooms other than to crash.

Aye, I don't see the problem in going somewhere that serves trad food and beer and can house a big group, even it's not "authentic". Have basically recommended Tom the same thing in Berlin, so... :D

I spent three months in Berlin in 1988 went back in 2008 and the place had completely changed.

Cheers lads. Is staying near the Reeperbahn ill advised? I figured that's where we'd be going on the lash most nights. Is it light for cheap ish hotels or is it a bit too sketchy to stay there? Bear in mind this is a stag of about a dozen guys and we won't be spending much time in he rooms other than to crash.

Nah, as long as you're not immediately on or adjacent to the Reeperbahn itself I'd say it's fine really. And even then the Reeperbahn is largely fairly tame as long as you're sensible, it's just the general noise and people and chaos that you might be better off slightly away from (even if your sleeping will be of the beer-induced unconsciousness variety). The St. Pauli Ibis I mentioned above basically falls into that category, for example - couple of streets away from the (less nightlife-y end of the) Reeperbahn. Or if you want to go the whole hog in terms of Reeperbahn access and dirt-cheap rooms, there's always this. B) You get some proper dive hotels in that area too, so be aware - but you know how to read review sites, so aye.

To cut a long story short, given the nature of the trip, wouldn't advise against it.

• 2 months later...

right; just a couple of weeks to go to this now. am lookign forward to it with a mixture of excitment and dread.

we arrive on friday afternoon. the loose plan then is to go on a reeperbahn pub crawl and end up in a club around there somewhere - any recommendations?

then saturday, it's a gut buster breakfast then off to watch st pauli play 1860 munich. we're sorted for tickets and we're staying in the hotel near by. but then not sure what to do saturday evening/night after the match. i'd like to maybe avoid the reeperbanhn and try and head somewhere a bit more arty/trendy .. then in a decent club. preferably one that doesn't just play ear bleeding techno.

my big concern is ending up at the reeperbahn both nights. could get seedy and expensive. and finding a club night that will appeal to a large group. i want something that the mash heads can enjoy but that won't scare away those that aren't much into raving.

thinking of going to the golden pudel on saturday night. can any hamburg experts recommend it or not? other than the dodgy name (i'd probably avoid it if it was on the reeperbahn), it sounds pretty cool...

thinking of going to the golden pudel on saturday night. can any hamburg experts recommend it or not? other than the dodgy name (i'd probably avoid it if it was on the reeperbahn), it sounds pretty cool...

I've never been, but I've heard good things. That's about all I've got. Where's Parky when you need him? :lol:

You asked about non-Reeperbahn places to drink pre-clubbing, particularly something a bit artier/trendier. I'm not sure I've ever been arty or trendy, but you've got plenty of quieter (but still cool-ish) drinking options in the neighbourhoods you mentioned right at the start of the thread. For example, Schanzenviertel has Bernsteinbar on Bernstoffstraße which is dark and a bit lounge-y and has DJs most nights, Sünde further up on the same street, Saal II on Schulterblatt which is more of a dive bar but with a decent crowd, and that also puts you also by Haus 73, which is a cultural centre that has all sorts of events going on, including those involving drink. (EDIT: Plus there's the Bedford that Parky mentioned upthread!) Just wander round that area and you'll see what's what. I imagine a stag group will have no trouble talking to locals to get recommendations too. :D

If you want something proper at some point, have a cocktail at the (near-)rooftop bar at the Empire Riverside hotel, but you'll need to be smart casual for that so it rather depends on who's in your gang. :) Failing that, the (fairly) nearby Havanna is a well-known cocktail bar, and that's down in the Fischmarkt neighbourhood which you also mentioned previously and should definitely check out at some point.

Also, if you want something a bit different without leaving the city, I stumbled across this place the last time I was in town. An actual beach bar on an actual beach where you can sit and watch the container ships roll up and down the Elbe river while nursing a beer - though it was a cold and misty day when I was there, so a mulled wine seemed wiser. :) Location is here.

There's no underground station nearby, though it is on the 36 bus line direct from Reeperbahn, but it might be as easy to pile into a few cabs. Just ask for the Strandperle, or Övelgönne (the street it's on) if you fancy getting your tongue round some umlauts.

Not a must-do, but like I say, something a bit different if you fancy it (and if the weather's not too rotten, obviously).

I've never been, but I've heard good things. That's about all I've got. Where's Parky when you need him? :lol:

Reading end of the World forum sites with this tune in his head......

As it happens, I've just been invited to a stag in Hamburg in August, so let us know what works well for you the weekend after next - and what doesn't. :lol:

will do.

btw, for the saturday night stitch up outfit, we're dressing him up as a cyber goth - white face paint, neon eye shadow and lipstick, spiked neon bracelets, neon hair extensions and this vest: http://shop.cyberdog.net/mens-rocker-mesh-vest/p2020

:lol: I can probably recommend you a club or two where that'll get him priority entrance. As long as he doesn't mind being someone else's priority entrance later that night.

i think we're going quite easy on him tbh, there was talk of a full on leather gimp outfit, complete with mouth zip. the slightly played out mankini or him going in full drag with stockings and suspenders. at least he should be able to get in to a club. we'll jsut leave him at the sort he'll get into and all head off somewhere else :lol:

Nice one Meenzer. Anything to add Parky?

Poodle is a bit sweaty and studenty...Music is good tho.

I'd go to China Lounge for really eclectic electronicy stuff and a more 'interesting spread' of a crowd. Might be shit now ain't been there for a couple of years... :lol:

http://www.china-hamburg.de/

This is where I go about once a month...lot of birds fly in from all over the place if the dj is right.

http://uebelundgefaehrlich.com/

Edited by Park Life

Poodle is a bit sweaty and studenty...Music is good tho.

I'd go to China Lounge for really eclectic electronicy stuff and a more 'interesting spread' of a crowd. Might be shit now ain't been there for a couple of years... :lol:

http://www.china-hamburg.de/

This is where I go about once a month...lot of birds fly in from all over the place if the dj is right.

http://uebelundgefaehrlich.com/

Nice one. My kraut isn't up to much. Who's playing at the second place this Saturday? What kind of night is it?