Hamburg

Dr Gloom

So I've been asked to be best man at my mate's wedding and have to organise a stag do in Hamburg.

Anyone familiar with the area? And where to go for this sort of occasion?

I've done a bit of research and so far the plan is to go and watch St Pauli play football then in terms of a night, we were going to hit Schanzenviertel, Reeperbahn and the Fischmarkt.

It's basically a 48 hour pissup but I'd like to throw in some sort of activity in to the mix. I did a beer bike at a recent stag do in berlin, which was a good craic, that sort of thing. And any advice on nightlife, areas to go out boozing, strippers, would be appreciated.

All advice from those that have been to Hamburg much appreciated.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parky's your man in terms of more current knowledge, yep, but the areas you've picked are what I'd have suggested for the nightlife trawl already. There's nothing quite like battered fish in a bun at 6am accompanied by the sound of a live band to end a night on a high note.

There's also a decent area just to the east of the main train station called St. Georg, around the Lange Reihe street, that's another alternative for pub-hopping if you don't want to be tied to the Reeperbahn all the time (and you don't) - although it's also one of the gay quarters so you might want to exercise due caution. :)

The best Irish pub (in my humble opinion) recently closed but the owners and a decent amount of the clientèle have moved just down the road to the Fleetenkieker bierkeller and restaurant on Börsenbrücke, a street right by the City Hall so dead central. Could be somewhere to accommodate a big group, especially if you want to tuck into some traditional German grub - pork knuckle, suckling pig and various other things that sound similarly dubious. :D

Activity-wise, I'm assuming you'd want something more lively than a canal/lake boat trip, even if they do (usually) serve booze on board - it's a nice alternative if you do want something a bit more sedate for an hour or two though, and Hamburg's built on water so exploring it is all part of the experience. :) Tbh I can't really think of anything off the top of my head that's "typically Hamburg", but they have all the usual stuff you'd expect for a city of nearly 2 million people, so plenty of options in terms of go-karting, paintballing and stuff like that. Again, being a current resident, Parky might have more to say on the matter.

Oh and he might also be able to guide you towards the seedier side of things, I wouldn't like to say, but obviously strippers aren't exactly my forté. Or to put it another way, the queens we use would not excite you. :D

cheers meenzer. did you ever go to watch st pauli when you were there? the fans sound pretty mental from what i've read and watched on youtube. that will probably be our 'activity' on the saturday. been on their website though and there's no way of buying tickets - or a fixture list - as far as i can tell. i was wondering if you could just turn up on the day and buy tickets.

cheers meenzer. did you ever go to watch st pauli when you were there? the fans sound pretty mental from what i've read and watched on youtube. that will probably be our 'activity' on the saturday. been on their website though and there's no way of buying tickets - or a fixture list - as far as i can tell. i was wondering if you could just turn up on the day and buy tickets.

Fixture list is here: http://www.fcstpauli.com/staticsite/staticsite.php?menuid=2916&topmenu=5

As for tickets, doesn't look as if they can be bought online, but this page suggests kartencenter@fcstpauli.com and 0049 40 317 874 51 for general ticket info and 0049 18 05 99 77 19 for specific ticket bookings - somewhere in that melée you might be lucky and find someone who speaks English. :D But obviously holler if you need any Jorman-language help on that front. Not sure about turning up on the day tbh, might be possible but I wouldn't want to rely on it.

The areas you've chosen and as per Meenz advice are the regular hotspots for the type of activities you have in mind. :D

Let me think on it and I'll get back to you.

Under a bit of pressure right now.

Is it a really big group? And when are you coming?

Edited by Park Life

The areas you've chosen and as per Meenz advice are the regular hotspots for the type of activities you have in mind. :D

Let me think on it and I'll get back to you.

Under a bit of pressure right now.

Is it a really big group? And when are you coming?

looking like it's going to be about 12-15 of us. heading out in april time, whenever st pauli are at home basically.

we're looking for a typical mix of savagery and debauchery.

I found that when I used to visit there. It was the black currant or apple schnapps that would fuck you :D

Mind, last time i was there there was 3-4 marks to the pound. Not that I expect brewing to have changed ;)

I found that when I used to visit there. It was the black currant or apple schnapps that would fuck you :D

Mind, last time i was there there was 3-4 marks to the pound. Not that I expect brewing to have changed ;)

I'll stick to beer when i'm over....in october.... :lol:

:lol: It was a weekend in Berlin, I was on business and decided to stay for the weekend as a mate lived there. My colleague also stopped for the weekend so we were 3, I mentioned it on NO, I think Parky pm'ed big Dave (GM) to get my number, he called, we arranged to meet up at this restaurant which had a club attached. Much vodka and red bull later, Parky produced some mysterious biscuits from his pocket, we ate those and ended up at the Watergate for a mad techno night, my mate copped off with my colleague and me and Parky shared a bed.

You can buy tickets online: https://www.eventimsports.de/shop/239/home

But because their games often are moved last minute for TV they don't go on sale until quite late.

You also want to be sat/stood in or as close as you can to the north stand with the home supporters group.

There's quite a few decent bars/restaurants not far from the ground on Feldstraße. Back in 2009 the Shamrock Irish Bar on Feldstraße was one of the home supporters meeting places.

In Stephansplatz on the Esplanade there is a Hofbrauhaus which is (was) decent for food and drink, with some canny local frauleins as staff.

Alternatively if you want a rest from the strippers, Altona also has some canny bars.

Hamburg is also a decent city for bands if that interests.

Btw last time we were there I swear I met Parky's father or his older alterego in a wine/cigar bar in Gustav-Mahler Platz.

Ex Royal navy engineer originally from the north east who had lived in Hamburg for years and was working on some ship, "I'm not allowed to talk about it" for Roman Abromvich.

Crazy as fuck.