The Good The Bad And The Ugly

Happy Face

Interesting about Santon. Definitely like the look of him going forward but cant say I've noticed greatness from him with regard to defending. Was watching a few clips of the Spurs game in the pub last night and he looked a bit all at sea to me when challenging Defoe for their goal and earlier when the cross came in and Bale headed off the bar.

Really struggling to recall any great defending prowess. (I have the memory span of a Goldfish however).

Remembering defensive prowess a year after the event is very difficult, compared to remembering a mazy dribble resulting in a goal though. He was absolutely magnificent in some games last season, playing like a 30 year old rather than a 20 year old, he had a spell in February where he was our best player defensively imo, and certainly against Man City when they basically won the title, he was absolutely outstanding against one of the best 4 or 5 sides in Europe. The kid is 20 years of age, he's a brilliant defender I think, and I honestly don't think he is amazing going forward, he's better than Simpson at it but he's nee Cafu, he's a good defender and for someone of that age to look as comfortable as he has in the Champions League, and now in the Premier League, I think he's an absolute gem who is only going to get better.

Remembering defensive prowess a year after the event is very difficult, compared to remembering a mazy dribble resulting in a goal though. He was absolutely magnificent in some games last season, playing like a 30 year old rather than a 20 year old, he had a spell in February where he was our best player defensively imo, and certainly against Man City when they basically won the title, he was absolutely outstanding against one of the best 4 or 5 sides in Europe. The kid is 20 years of age, he's a brilliant defender I think, and I honestly don't think he is amazing going forward, he's better than Simpson at it but he's nee Cafu, he's a good defender and for someone of that age to look as comfortable as he has in the Champions League, and now in the Premier League, I think he's an absolute gem who is only going to get better.

As I said, my memory. Crap against Spurs though ;)

As I said, my memory. Crap against Spurs though ;)

Well I disagree and you certainly can't blame him for the goal, but you're entitled to your opinion :)

Aaron Lennon will give most full backs a hard time this season.

I don't blame Santon for the goal it's not his job to get in front of the centre forward, he nearly scored the own goal due to the little nick off Defoe. Perch to blame imo.

agreed. It took Enrique a while to settle in and I think Santon can be even better than him. Gutierrez and Coloccini help cover for him a lot of the time but he's only 20 and look at the difference between him and 90% of other 20 year olds in the league.

agreed. It took Enrique a while to settle in and I think Santon can be even better than him. Gutierrez and Coloccini help cover for him a lot of the time but he's only 20 and look at the difference between him and 90% of other 20 year olds in the league.

That's right and Santon has settled in MUCH better than Enrique did, but Fat Sam utterly destroying his confidence didn't help matters.

Santon can learn to be a good defender. What you can't teach (at this stage) is a cracking first touch and the ability to pass and move - he has both of those attributes in abundance.

presumably the latter qualities will stand him in good stead as he develops positional awareness....

Guest CabayeAye

presumably the latter qualities will stand him in good stead as he develops positional awareness....

From your comments, I don't think you've ever seen Santon play. If you can't see that he is a quality full back, then you might as well stop watching football.

Guest CabayeAye

Good

Ben Arfa - agree

Tiote - agree

Cabaye - agree

Ba - agree

Cisse - agree

Santon - agree

Bad

Obertan - Ugly

Kuqi - Ugly

Ugly

Ireland - Agree

Marveaux - WTF?! We don't know yet!

Abeid - WTF?! - Good

Perch - WTF?! - Good

Gosling - Bad

Sol Campbell - Agree

TBD

Bigirimana

Good

Anita

Amilfitano

Unfair on Perch? - Yes, massively.

Aye, he is progressing 10 times faster than Enrique did. He was brilliant at times last season, though he did have his dodgy moments when he started out. I think he's going to be a real quality player in years to come, with not too many injuries hopefully.