When is it acceptable for a bloke to cry?

BigWalrus

I dunno, i didnt cry but definitely felt a bit chesty and sick when we were relegated. Think it's fine to get emotional over it! just not to openly bawl!!

It's fair enough really. Getting relegated just pissed me off personally, the useless overpaid tossers.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon if I saw us win the FA Cup, I'd probably cry tears of joy. Then cry when I woke up 4 days later and saw how much I'd spent on drink

:) wonder if crying with joy should be treated differently?

To love some animals and eat others? Is it not obvious?

There's a big difference between a domesticated pet and a cow in a field. There's also the fact that we have personal relationships with our pets whereas we generally never see where our meat comes from.

There's a big difference between a domesticated pet and a cow in a field. There's also the fact that we have personal relationships with our pets whereas we generally never see where our meat comes from.

Alright man. I've

never had a pet so don't really see the difference. It absolutely is a bit hypocritical though, like a veggie wearing leather shoes. But we're all hypocrites anyway.

Edited by Renton

One of my dogs died years ago as I was holding it. It was old but I sobbed my heart out for a week, I couldn't get over it and when I thought of her, I just broke down. It took me ages to get to grips with it as any dog I have, becomes fully part of the family and not just a pet.

Alright man. I've

never had a pet so don't really see the difference. It absolutely is a bit hypocritical though, like a veggie wearing leather shoes. But we're all hypocrites anyway.

You wouldn't mourn for a stranger the way you mourn for a member of your family. That's not hypocritical.

It's not the being upset at a pet dying that I don't get - its having a personal relationship with something non-human and considering it "equal" as a member of your family in the first place. I thiink it relegates how you feel about your real family - hearing people saying "it was like losing a child" - fuck off man. And its not just the familial/genetic bond angle - its just not a human.

I have respect for animals in their own right (despite the food hypocrisy) but morphing them into extended family members and mistaking their pack loyalty as "love" is just not right imo.

Without wanting to trivialise other peoples feelings I'm willing to bet that those who have mourned pets haven't lost someone really important like their parents - if they have and still insist pets are worthy of proper grief then I feel sorry for them.

You wouldn't mourn for a stranger the way you mourn for a member of your family. That's not hypocritical.

Are dogs an equal member of the family as a child is? I honestly don't get the comparison.

Eating one species of animal and loving another species seems a bit hypocritical to me, we'll agree to disagree I guess.

I'm glad I'm not into pets though. Wouldn't like to be grieving every 10 to 20 years. Hard enough with friends and family.

It's not the being upset at a pet dying that I don't get - its having a personal relationship with something non-human and considering it "equal" as a member of your family in the first place. I thiink it relegates how you feel about your real family - hearing people saying "it was like losing a child" - fuck off man. And its not just the familial/genetic bond angle - its just not a human.

I have respect for animals in their own right (despite the food hypocrisy) but morphing them into extended family members and mistaking their pack loyalty as "love" is just not right imo.

Without wanting to trivialise other peoples feelings I'm willing to bet that those who have mourned pets haven't lost someone really important like their parents - if they have and still insist pets are worthy of proper grief then I feel sorry for them.

My feelings exactly. My wife, for instance, was upset when her horse died, but I'd like to think my passing will have a qualitatively different effect on her.

I cried more when my dog died than I did when both my parents died. Not because I had no love for them, it was because U came to accept that they were dying at the time and I'd been left home and married a long time and only seeing them now and again.

It would have been totally different had I lost my parents as a kid because my reliance was on them, plus you always thought your parents would never leave you.

A pet gives you unconditional love and will die to protect you and it displays emotion for it's master yet it relies on you like a kid relies on their parents.

I wouldn't choose my dog over my child or my family but I would choose it over any human being that wasn't close to me.

Your pet doesn't love you. Your parents did though. My Dad almost died in January and despite me being completely independent it was the worst experience of my life. Thanks to the NHS he was saved though.

Your pet doesn't love you. Your parents did though. My Dad almost died in January and despite me being completely independent it was the worst experience of my life. Thanks to the NHS he was saved though.

When you see a pet pining for a person you know that pet loves the person. It might not be exact human affection but as equal I'd say.

It's not the same though, see NJS's post. The fact the love is unconditional means it's not real love. IMO anyway.

My experiences with owning dogs tells me enough about them to know that they are not unlike humans when displaying emotions.

They become angry, happy, scared, they come for cuddles, they let you know when they want a piss. They wait for your return home and greet you just as a loving child would.

Dogs are just like young children.

:lol: at the freaks who've never had a pet and thinks they would just shrug it off if one died ffs.

I never said I'd shrug it off. I had pets when I was younger (not dogs), I didn't cry when they died. And I'm not some hard, heartless bastard, I'm really not. But human suffering is just a completely different thing to me.

They're pack animals which explains the behaviour you describe. They're not human though and shouldn't be compared to children. I'll leave it at that.

They are also "designed" by breeding to display exactly the traits people want.

I accept that people will feel sad and miss dead pets but its about degrees.

Ok now hang on. I've lost my mother to Cancer which was and is the most horrible experience of my life. I cried. A few times.

I've lost a pet ( seen it ram over as a bairn) and I cried.

But the two things are on different spheres of anguish.

Nowt wrong crying for either but that's where the parallel ends.

Dogs don't love you like you maybe love them. But they are faithful but it is pack mentality. This isn't the point though.