Julian Assange - What do you think of him?

Happy Face

Julian Assange  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ecuador has accused the UK of making a "threat" to enter its embassy in London to arrest Wikileaks' Julian Assange.

Mr Assange took refuge at the embassy in June to avoid extradition to Sweden, where he faces questioning over assault and rape claims, which he denies.

Ecuador says a decision on his bid for political asylum will come later.

The UK Foreign Office says it can lift the embassy's diplomatic status to fulfil a "legal obligation" to extradite the 41-year-old.

The Wikileaks website published a mass of leaked diplomatic cables that embarrassed several governments, particularly the US, in 2010, and Mr Assange says he fears that Sweden will pass him on to the American authorities.

A number of police officers are outside the Ecuadorian embassy, in Knightsbridge, where some of Mr Assange's supporters have also gathered.

An offer by Ecuador to allow Swedish investigators to interview Mr Assange inside the embassy was rejected.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-19259623

Interested in the views of casual observers.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted 3, it would appear hes been a naughty boy and has charges against him for sexual assault.

He seems to want to hold the entire world to account, but when somebody wants to treat him the same he's a tad reluctant...

Unless its a set up by "the powers that be" to frame him for his exposure of the inner workings of world governments...over to you Parky/Wolfy :)

He's a creepy looking nerd who got a bit of power and fame then made a massive mistake.

Now he's running around like a coward trying to get asylum in a country with a very questionable human rights record simply because the decision didn't go his way.

How any casual observer can have any respect left for him is beyond me.

The TT brains trust has spoken:"He's creepy looking, he's a bit wierd etc..."

Fuck me. :lol:

He might be full of himself but the risks him and the Wikileaks team have taken and the sensitivity of some of the releases is bourne out by America trying to shut him up and now put him away.

Edited by Park Life

He might be full of himself but the risks him and the Wikileaks team have taken and the sensitivity of some of the releases is bourne out by America trying to shut him up and now put him away.

Yeah, not like he actually raped a woman or anything

You think that irresponsibly releasing an incredibly large amount of classified information was a brave thing to do?

You think that irresponsibly releasing an incredibly large amount of classified information was a brave thing to do?

It's what I said innit?

What do you consider irresponisible? Putting 10m people out of work in Europe by irresponisble trading or releasing info on the inner workings of american diplomats being asked to spy at the un??

Yeah, not like he actually raped a woman or anything

"Both complainants say they did not report him to the police for prosecution but only to require him to have an STD test."

Police vans are currently surrounding the embassy, ready to circumvent international law, setting precedence on all asylum seekers for decades to come, over a Chlamydia test.

The lack of outrage astounds me...which is why I started the poll....the result explains it though.

It's what I said innit?

What do you consider irresponisible? Putting 10m people out of work in Europe by irresponisble trading or releasing info on the inner workings of american diplomats being asked to spy at the un??

Stick to the point, you're comparing apples and oranges.

I'd call putting over 250,000 stolen government documents that they had not vetted online pretty irresponsible. Do you disagree?

Stick to the point, you're comparing apples and oranges.

I'd call putting over 250,000 stolen government documents that they had not vetted online pretty irresponsible. Do you disagree?

Yes.

I also think the UN suck, the EU sucks the UK govt are hypocritical wankers and bankers need thier heads on sticks. :)

"Both complainants say they did not report him to the police for prosecution but only to require him to have an STD test."

Police vans are currently surrounding the embassy, ready to circumvent international law, setting precedence on all asylum seekers for decades to come, over a Chlamydia test.

The lack of outrage astounds me...which is why I started the poll....the result explains it though.

You asked a question about what men thought of the man, not the situation he finds himself in. I think his actions show that he hasn't got quite as much moral fibre as many thought.

Yes.

I also think the UN suck, the EU sucks the UK govt are hypocritical wankers and bankers need thier heads on sticks. :)

There you go again. Avoiding the actual point. Please explain to me how his actions were not irresponsible.

It's why Jebus won't come back.

He is a creep though, amirite?

You asked a question about what men thought of the man, not the situation he finds himself in. I think his actions show that he hasn't got quite as much moral fibre as many thought.

You suggest he finds himself in this situation due to a mistake he made (having unprotected sex i assume you mean).

I doubt the majority of men that have unprotected sex find themselves in this situation. I can't think of any others.

Because they were for the greater public good.

How did he know? No one knew what information was actually contained in the leak.

The only way that you could argue that point was that if you believed in total, unfettered freedom of information and a society with zero privacy.

He is a creep though, amirite?

He looks weird...and sounds weird....and dances weird.

He might be a creep too, but extradition (potential indefinite detention and subsequent death) isn't the usual punishment for it like, without charge.

You suggest he finds himself in this situation due to a mistake he made (having unprotected sex i assume you mean).

I doubt the majority of men that have unprotected sex find themselves in this situation. I can't think of any others.

The mistake I was referring to was actually the mass leaking of diplomatic cables.

With regards to the rape allegations I'm inclined to believe that he's likely innocent of the charges but that's beside the point. I'm confident that he will receive a fair trial in Sweden and therefore should man the fuck up and go back and face his accusers.

How did he know? No one knew what information was actually contained in the leak.

The only way that you could argue that point was that if you believed in total, unfettered freedom of information and a society with zero privacy.

Every single day you can read of an unnamed source leaking classified information. Obama does it himself on national TV (it's still a crime even if you're the president).

The question is intent. Obama does it to brag about US actions to look strong on foreign policy for an election, Wikileaks does it to shame the perpetrators of war crimes.

Should Elsberg be jailed/killed too?

The mistake I was referring to was actually the mass leaking of diplomatic cables.

With regards to the rape allegations I'm inclined to believe that he's likely innocent of the charges but that's beside the point. I'm confident that he will receive a fair trial in Sweden and therefore should man the fuck up and go back and face his accusers.

How can the allegations be beside the point? That's what he's being hounded for. Nothing whatsoever to do with his Wikileaks work...they would have you believe....because no crime was committed there.

The notion of him receiving a trial when all they want is an STD test is laughable. Supporting it is stranger still.