Anyone used a rear bike rack on their car?

ajax_andy

I'm thinking of buying a bike and cycling home from work, and letting the missus have the car to get home in. Currently she has to get the bus as finishes at half 5 and i'm a shite and refuse to hang around for an hour after I finish at half 4.

So I thought if I got a bike I could cycle home, it'd be good for my fitness and also she wouldn't have to get the peasant wagon home... so win win really.

Anyway I'd need a bike rack or mount for the back of my car and wondered how easy they are to fit, and any issues with it scratching the car or damaging it in any way?

We'd be strapping it on (ooh err) 5 days a week so need something practical that won't cause damage and is easy to use.

Any suggestions or issues anyone knows about?

I'm in the same boat. I cycled to/from work last year and was completely fucked by it. 23 mile down hill more or less was easy but a nightmare coming home.

I'm looking to do it again but 10m each way and then 15 etc.

Lad I know is a keen cycler and he said the best ones are those that use your tow bar. Which I don't have so I'm looking to get one fitted before looking further.

get the hitch-mounted type keeps the bike away from the vehicle and is easy to install and use, only draw-back is that it adds about 3-4 ft to the length of the vehicle so dont a) smash it into anything backing up B) leave it hanging out in traffic when you park forward

I have a Sarius back bone and they are quite expensive and IMO shite. The Thule ones are good but expensive. You can get cheaper ones off Chain Reaction cycles.

Is your commute on the road? If so, forget the MTB and either get a hybrid or a road bike.

/edit, just removed my initial question.

Edited by wykikitoon

my mountain bike had suspension on it when i was a kid, it was the shit i wouldn't let anyone have a go on it :lol: Raligh ascender then an activator neither matched this beast when i was a bairn though

0.jpg

I had that! Fucking awesome thing.

:lol: Grifters ! How heavy were they man !? You'd need a trailer nevermind a rack . Did you turn your mudguards in to make the motorbike sound too ? And what the dangerfuck was the "slipgear" on there ffs !? (between blue and yellow iirc)

:lol:

They weighed an absolute fuckton.

Aye, did the mudguards, the gears!! Not good to have the shift grip when you were getting chased, always slipped into blue ( or was it red? :dunno: )

I have a Sarius back bone and they are quite expensive and IMO shite. The Thule ones are good but expensive. You can get cheaper ones off Chain Reaction cycles.

Is your commute on the road? If so, forget the MTB and either get a hybrid or a road bike.

/edit, just removed my initial question.

Yeah road for some but a lot of cycle paths too... basically along scotswood road, over scotswood bridge, up chainbridge road, then blaydon to ryton.

What's 'the MTB'... probs a stupid question but no idea what that stands for :D

The size down was the Striker. I had a silver one, mate had a limited edition green one. I think they got withdrawn - and for good reason . They only had one lever brake which was the front, the back one was a drum brake that 'worked' by backpeddaling - or simply freewheeling.

Was 'class for skids' n shit but when you swapped bikes always forgot thst you had to keep crank going no matter or you'd literally be thrown of the cunting thing as it stopped on the spot !

Yeah road for some but a lot of cycle paths too... basically along scotswood road, over scotswood bridge, up chainbridge road, then blaydon to ryton.

What's 'the MTB'... probs a stupid question but no idea what that stands for :D

Get a road bike then or a hybrid. Unless you're going to use the Mountain Bike off road?