Moon Landings

Christmas Tree

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know space is a vacuum?

I don't!

If it isn't though, then N.A.S.A and the rest have based all their pretend space missions on space being a vacuum, so one way or the other they are lying.

I find it a bit ironic that all the board's members are between Parky (interplanetary travel a piece of piss) and wolfy (space travel fundamentally impossible) in the conspiracy stakes.

Everybody has their own thoughts. It would be a boring world if everyone thought the same.

So let's assume space is a vacuum (it is).

Why can't a rocket work in a vacuum? It's a pressurised, sealed environment and that pressure wants to escape. When the pressure escapes, the rocket moves. It doesn't make any difference whether it's in a vacuum or not, other than there's less gravitational pull as you get further from the earth.

I find it a bit ironic that all the board's members are between Parky (interplanetary travel a piece of piss) and wolfy (space travel fundamentally impossible) in the conspiracy stakes.

From the sublime to the ridiculous. ;)

So let's assume space is a vacuum (it is).

Why can't a rocket work in a vacuum? It's a pressurised, sealed environment and that pressure wants to escape. When the pressure escapes, the rocket moves. It doesn't make any difference whether it's in a vacuum or not, other than there's less gravitational pull as you get further from the earth.

So what is the rocket pushing against?

What is pushing against the rocket?

The fuel and rocket mass plus inertia is how it works in space. If someting hits space it carries on moving at the same speed it hit the space threshold at. Infact it speeds up over time....Einstein had trouble with this so I forgive Wolfy.

Its still quite bizarre that in 42 years we've never been back.

Of course some will say cost or we've been there done it etc. but I just dont buy that.

According to what we are told, the expensive bit is getting something into space. Therefore there is no reason why one of the many shuttles that have been launched couldnt have popped over.

Bizarre.

Of course some will say cost or we've been there done it etc. but I just dont buy that.

According to what we are told, the expensive bit is getting something into space. Therefore there is no reason why one of the many shuttles that have been launched couldnt have popped over.

Bizarre.

You obviously haven't seen Apollo 18 :rolleyes:

Do keep up Tubby ;)

Bizarre.

Shuttles were costing 500m$ per launch. Booster, tiles and other bits needed replacing every time (took 6 months at least). Shit design cause the airforce designed the heavy wings the clowns + Govt contracts are always 100x more expensive...etc..

No!

What is the rocket fuel pushing against to make it move?

It pushes against the rocket's body itself, and the easiest path is straight out of the bottom of the rocket. As you're in a vacuum, there's nothing to push back the other way, and you accelerate freely.

Well, I know it's not pure vacuum, but for the purposes of this thread it might as well be (has a nice parallel)

Remember when they were planning a tether to the ISS. :lol: Really you couldn't make it up.