Champions league next season.

wolfy

The first team squad that don't play week in, week out, but are too good for the reserves.

They get very little "real" game time and have to rely on training sessions. This year they should feature a lot which will not only bring them on personally, but have them ready for the first team should they be needed.

Aye but they're not as good as the first 11. The more you have to use them, the more poor results you can expect. We don't have a squad capable of coping with the increase in games which is why people are understandably cautious.

Aye but they're not as good as the first 11. The more you have to use them, the more poor results you can expect. We don't have a squad capable of coping with the increase in games which is why people are understandably cautious.

Aye, I appreciate that side of it and it can work against us, Im just considering the up side of the situation as well. The likes of Abeid and Sameobi and Vuckic etc who very rarely play competitively will get the chance to do so in Europe. This should mean that when we get injuries in the first 11, those who get called in to cover should perform a lot better than they did last year. Therefore, the first team should do better. :)

I think Chelsea will be much stronger this time around. Not sure about Spurs, if they sell Modric that will give a nice little pot to splash out with. Not really that worried about Liverpool either. Arsenal I think could be stronger and Man Utd. I did laugh at a comment by Mancini recently as well saying he didnt need to spend a lot on his team and might only bring in 3-5 players. Fucking hell, thats probably £50M on that 3-5 players just to be in the squad :lol:

I'd be happy with 4th bottom and a Cup.

I wonder how many Mags would rather have that than a top 4, 5 or 6th place ?

Domestic cups are a lottery and have no real bearing on the progress we are making.

A high league finish has a massive bearing on how far we have come, so following on from last season, it would have a massive bearing once again on how far we have come, if we can be close to last years finish or actually better it, which I don't see any reason why we can't.

A cup win in between that would be an added bonus and actually show that we have the strength in depth that we all think isn't there.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the youngsters we have will shine for us this season in cup competitions coupled with experience, giving us a better than average chance of definitive progress.

It's the quality of player you have, plus the willingness of those players to fight tooth and nail for the club that determines what spoils we get and I don't think many clubs have the spirit that we have at this club over the course of a season.

We have never been in such good shape, ever...and by that ,I mean we have never had the club running so well from top to bottom.

This club is built for progress in my opinion and we are no pushovers in the transfer market either, whether it's buying or selling.

We are also tying the top players down to long contracts that gives us bargaining power when the rich clubs come sniffing...but also, it proves that the players that sign those long contracts are here to fight for honours and not sit back feeding their bank accounts for very little return from them.

4th place is well within our reach but things have to also work for us on the injury front.

I think our front 6 of Tiote, Cabaye, Jonas, Ben Arfa, Ba and Cisse is as good as anyone's in the league but as said, when injuries hit any of those, we're left with inferior replacements. Though Marveaux looks a very tidy player, it must be said. You lose Ba, Shola has to start which he literally can't do anymore. Lose Ben Arfa, you either move Gutierrez forward and put in Gosling/Amalfitano into the midfield or Obertan goes wide right.

Guest CabayeAye

I think our front 6 of Tiote, Cabaye, Jonas, Ben Arfa, Ba and Cisse is as good as anyone's in the league but as said, when injuries hit any of those, we're left with inferior replacements. Though Marveaux looks a very tidy player, it must be said. You lose Ba, Shola has to start which he literally can't do anymore. Lose Ben Arfa, you either move Gutierrez forward and put in Gosling/Amalfitano into the midfield or Obertan goes wide right.

I'd like to see Sammy used as backup to HBA. I think he's got real potential as a creative player.

Sammy looked spot on in pre-season so far. A few cameos last season as well. Reckon he'll be on the bench a fair bit this season and even starting some games. Good to see.

I explained my opinion why in the rest of the post you quoted.

Not really, you stated why we are good, but unfortunately we play in a league with other teams. Two of whom had unusually bad league seasons last year.

That's why I asked.

better chance than last season to finish in the top 4? :lol:

Wise up, like Fish said in another thread, we benefited heavily from other clubs turmoil/perfect storm, and we benefited from not suffering our usual massive injury crisis.

6/7th is what we'll be aiming for

:thumbsup:

So, two clubs had poor seasons, Chelsea and Liverpool. So what.

Both have new managers who might equally fuck up. Liverpool havent done anything extra special that makes me fear them this year.

Chelsea may come back or with a new manager under pressure, may have another crap time.

Arsenal may lose RVP, Jack Wiltshire remains out and they may buy more rubbish like Gervino.

Not too mention all the positive stuff that I mentioned about us.

Guest CabayeAye

£100 to the sbr foundation says we don't finish 4th or higher

(i'll donate £50 either way)

that's me hoping i'm wrong but certain i won't be tbh

TBF, I think it's an outside bet that we'll finish 4th or higher, but 5th is most certainly within our grasp.

1-4th - Delighted

5th - Very happy

6th - Happy

7th - Content

8th-10th - A bit pissed off

11th-14th - Raging

15th or less - Apoplectic

What a bunch of negative twats. :lol:

We've got an even better chance than we had last year and last year it came down to the last game of the season ffs.

So far its looking like the same group of lads with a couple of quality additions. First full season for Ba and Cisse as a lethal double act. Proper full season back for fit again Ben Arfa. Marveaux looking fit and clinical on the ball. Manager of the year in charge. Whole host of promising youngsters biting at the bit.

We'll piss it (to steal a phrase).

Chelsea and Liverpool had shitters last season so I would expect them to improve upon that.

Also with are yet to see these quality additions.

Actually Chelsea will improve on their position, in fact due to their signings you'd expect them to be challenging for the title this time around.

Actually Chelsea will improve on their position, in fact due to their signings you'd expect them to be challenging for the title this time around.

And people thought Liverpool would improve with Suarez, Carrol and Enrique and all the others, but football doesn't always work like that.

And people thought Liverpool would improve with Suarez, Carrol and Enrique and all the others, but football doesn't always work like that.

It doesn't when you have a whisky nosed jock arsehole in charge I'll give you that.

So, two clubs had poor seasons, Chelsea and Liverpool. So what.

Not just two clubs. At least 4.

Both have new managers who might equally fuck up. Liverpool havent done anything extra special that makes me fear them this year.
True, I think they'll be harder to beat under Rodgers though.

Chelsea may come back or with a new manager under pressure, may have another crap time.
They may do, or they may improve, especially given their purchases.

Arsenal may lose RVP, Jack Wiltshire remains out and they may buy more rubbish like Gervino.
They might do, or Podolski, Giroud may light up the League, scoring a stack of goals?

Not too mention all the positive stuff that I mentioned about us.
We are good, but you can't apply only negative weighting to all out rivals and only positive to ourselves.

It's daft. As daft as people applying only negative to us and only positive to others, which I'm not doing.

I'm confident that we will finish above the wall pushers though.

I reckon I'll be more confident when the window shuts.

If we can get Debuchy and a CB I'll most likely to reassess.

Guest CabayeAye

I'm confident that we will finish above the wall pushers though.

Spuds and the murderers are both looking shite for next season.