Official Olympics 2012 Thread

catmag

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh it'll be a massive shame if the closing ceremony is a clusterfuck. The thought of Geri Haliwell getting her face into the picture is not appealing at all. Looking forward to The Who though, they did a mint job at the 9/11 memorial concert iirc.

There's an hour of highlights at half 7 and I fully expect to cry at some point.

It's really exceeded all expectations and even the sun shone for it. It's taught me about sports I've never watched before and individual athletes who have now inspired another generation.

That all sounds really dramatic but I've bloody loved it and genuinely feel massively proud of Team GB and of this country.

Just to forewarn you all chums - Jessie J does a cover of Queens We Will Rock You, Russel Brand does a version of I Am The Walrus .

Other than that it should be canny.

They interviewed organiser Stephen Daltry earlier and was enthusing how what they have lined up for the extinguishing of the flame is pretty special .

China second in the medals table. I cannot remember seeing anyone from China on the podium? :dunno:

I think it's fair to say the BBC have been understandably partisan and not really shown many other medal ceremonies unless we've been involved. The Chinese dominated the swimming, diving and gymnastics amongst others.

http://www.london2012.com/country/china/medals.html

Not to put a downer on things but while the opening ceremony was great and the shots of London have been fantastic, what else makes this a great games?

The Olympic stadium is average and there is nothing else really to distinguish the other tailor built venues. Though I understand that it is an achievement in itself not to fuck it up.

Again, just my layman's observation.

I really hope people get as excited about the paralympics in a couple of weeks time.

Highly unlikely Cath, I for one won't be watching. Reason being is everyone has different degrees of disability, so how do you control for that? Whereas the olympics is so much more straight forward.

Much less people are eligible for the paraolympics as well so why the same interest?

Posted by one of my mates on Facebook next to a pic of Mo Farah..

"I don't know who says multiculturalism doesn't work, but whoever they are, they just lost. Team GB, the ultimate mongrel nation, the ones who turned the renaissance into Shakespeare, turned the blues into Pop Music, turned an empire into a commonwealth, turned irishmen into geordies and peshwaris into mancs in one generation, turned an asylum seeking african muslim into the face of Britain...we won. We all won, and the sad, old, divisive, hateful bastards? They lost."

Thought it summed things up nicely..

Posted by one of my mates on Facebook next to a pic of Mo Farah..

"I don't know who says multiculturalism doesn't work, but whoever they are, they just lost. Team GB, the ultimate mongrel nation, the ones who turned the renaissance into Shakespeare, turned the blues into Pop Music, turned an empire into a commonwealth, turned irishmen into geordies and peshwaris into mancs in one generation, turned an asylum seeking african muslim into the face of Britain...we won. We all won, and the sad, old, divisive, hateful bastards? They lost."

Thought it summed things up nicely..

Maybe for another thread but Mo Farah is an amazing athlete who was brought up in Britain and had to move to USA to reach his potential.

One man can't justify multi-culturalism and nor should he be used as a posterboy.

I think you're going to be disappointed. It just isn't the same, is it?

I don't expect it to be AS big as this has been. I just hope that because it's a home games that people do watch when they wouldn't normally, and that some of the athletes get the recognition they deserve for their own hard work and dedication. I just think that because it's in this country it may actually reach more people.