17 inch hd widescreen laptops...advice.

PaddockLad

The old man, at the age of 76, has decided that he'd like to become a "silver surfer" :lol: Hes got a lot of stuff to shift on and at the moment various grandchildren are employed in getting his old junk on to ebay. Hes seen that yorkshire broadband ad though and thinks if its that cheap then he might as well get a laptop himself....which is where I appear to come in...when the new season starts am going to start paying for skysports and will probably use the "sky go" feature for watching the football quite a lot...and I want a laptop which is going to make it worthwhile viewing...the old man will inherit my old Dell gizmo so he can sell smoothing planes and bee keeping equipment to his hearts content :)

So went to Currys earlier where this caught my eye....

http://www.yorkshirestyle.co.uk/store/sony-vaio-laptops/vpc-ej3t1e-vaio-640gb-hard-drive-sony-vaio

Is that a good price?...same in Currys, who said they were going for a grand at Christmas. Is it good bit of kit?...is there something around the same price thats better?...cheers in advance...

I'm not sure what the requirements are for calling something HD on a laptop, but the max resolution on that one is actually 1600 x 900, which isn't proper 1080p HD. Chances are Sky Go doesn't broadcast in full HD anyway, so it probably doesn't matter, but it's worth checking out the actual resolution you're getting.

• 1 month later...

If it can play blu-ray it'll handle hd iplayer/sky etc

(for laptops that don'y say "full hd" but say they have hd they need to be able to do 1280x720)

a full hd laptop with that size of screen will cost you a small fortune

Sony's vaio range has always been overpriced fwiw, you'd probably get a similar spec for less

(the macbook air's are great if it's not the screensize he's bothered about)

Never a truer word spoken old son....

http://www.oyyy.co.uk/product.php/168802/samsung-series-3-300e7a-173-inch-notebook-core-i5-2450m-25ghz-4gb-500gb-dvd-sm-dl-wlan-bt-webcam-windows-7-hp-64-bit-intel-hd-graphics?utm_source=affwin&utm_medium=aff&utm_campaign=General&awc=3136_1344583568_8060fca0967d6aae3b62c55d56cdcd90

Anybody used this website?....got to say it looks dodgy as fuck to me...price is good though, am gonna save £125 quid on what I'd have paid for the Sony Vaio....if the money doesnt go to Nigeria or Kazakstan or somewhere...how can I check if that site is genuine?