Dreadful mistake on the news - 11 dead in USA

Rob W

They were announcing that 11 of the 12 misiing miners int eh USA had been found alive at 07:00 - interviews with joyful relatives etc etc

They have just announced there is only one badly injured survivor - someone intercepted a mobile phone call and got it wrong.................................. :);):razz::gay::razz:

S mine 'rescue' turns to tragedy

Relatives of trapped US miners react to the news of their rescue

News conference

Only one of the 12 trapped miners found in a US coal mine on Wednesday has survived, company officials say.

The company chief said only one man - critically ill and rushed to hospital - had been found alive by rescuers, just hours after all were reported safe.

The company named the survivor as 26-year-old Randal McCloy Junior.

Relatives had celebrated in a local church after being told that the rescuers had found all 12 men alive in an air pocket in the mine.

'We need answers'

"Everybody is stunned," said Sam Lands, the brother-in-law of Martin Bennet, who had been in the mine.

"I thought I was going to pass out. I couldn't believe it. We've been lied to all along. We need answers."

COAL MINE DISASTER

Monday 0640 (1140 GMT) - Explosion causes collapse

1800 (approx) - Rescuers sent in

Tuesday 0730 - Air quality tests said to be 'discouraging'

2100 - Families say one body found

2350 - Families say 12 miners found alive

Wednesday 0250 - Reports emerge that just one miner alive

0310 - Mine officials confirm only one survivor

Ben Hatfield, president of mine operators International Coal Group, said: "We are incredibly saddened by the horrific loss. This is certainly not the outcome we had hoped for and prayed for," he said.

He said earlier news that the 12 men had been found alive was "bad information".

He said he believed the men had survived the explosion and gone to what they thought was a safe area. They are then thought to have been poisoned by toxic fumes.

Firefighter at mine

Earlier reports had said 12 of the men had survived

Mr Hatfield said: "What happened is that through stray cellphone conversations it appears that this miscommunication from the rescue team underground to the command centre was picked up by various people... was relayed through cellphone communications without our ever having made a release.

"International Coal Group never made any release about all 12 of the miners being alive and well, we simply couldn't confirm that at that point. But that information spread like wildfire because it had come from the command centre but it was a bad information."

He believed relatives had believed the miners were alive for 20 minutes before being told the news.

West Virginia Governor Joe Manchin had earlier praised news of the men's rescue from the Sago mine as a "miracle". Earlier, rescuers had found the body of a 13th miner left in a mine cart some 3000 metres inside the mine. The men had been trapped in the mine after an explosion on Monday. The cause of the blast is not yet known.

A miner mishap tbh.

73814[/snapback]

Is that meant ot be funny?

73823[/snapback]

Depends on which way you look at it, if your the President of the USA then no doubt it is a miner mishap but if you're salt of the earth like yourself then no.

Seems like I'm just digging a hole for myself here!

I'm a liitle perturbed by the fact that families were still celebrating despite the fact that at the time they were under the impression that 1 person had died, bet the family of the 1 person believed dead were ecstatic about that.

A miner mishap tbh.

73814[/snapback]

73823[/snapback]

Depends on which way you look at it, if your the President of the USA then no doubt it is a miner mishap but if you're salt of the earth like yourself then no.

I'm a liitle perturbed by the fact that families were still celebrating despite the fact that at the time they were under the impression that 1 person had died, bet the family of the 1 person believed dead were ecstatic about that.

73828[/snapback]

Can't help but thinking folk (media) were a bit inconsistant with this story. It happens quite often in China and occasionally in Russia too, but nowhere near the same amount of gushing reporting is made. Phoney bastards imo.

A miner mishap tbh.

73814[/snapback]

73823[/snapback]

73828[/snapback]

Can't help but thinking folk (media) were a bit inconsistant with this story. It happens quite often in China and occasionally in Russia too, but nowhere near the same amount of gushing reporting is made. Phoney bastards imo.

73909[/snapback]

Too right, and you don't see the chinqs or the Russians getting their death toll's so hooribly wrong either.

Its a tragedy but I did notice that when they were "alive" it was a "miracle" and their "prayers were answered" - do they now blame the same God?

74292[/snapback]

I thought the same thing!

Reports now saying that the blast itself didn't kill them, but most likely the carbon monoxide. Mind you I am curious as to why the blast happened at approx 6:30 and 911 wasn't called until 8-ish.

Its a tragedy but I did notice that when they were "alive" it was a "miracle" and their "prayers were answered" - do they now blame the same God?

74292[/snapback]

Some of them are! :)

74305[/snapback]

On the yahoo news boards, when they were 'alive' people were saying it was a miracle and showed the power of prayer and the love of God. When they announced they were dead it was God "Testing their faith". Some of these people were the same posters who, after every tragedy in the middle east, europe, Canada or liberal US states, claim it is God's wrath against Muslims/liberals/communists/evolutionists/gays/democrats/the french/athiests.

Although I'm sure fred phelps' baptist church is already rushing to register the domain name "godhatesminers.com" to go with godhatesfags.com godhatesamerica.com, godhatessweden.com etc.

Edited by BlueStar

Reports now saying that the blast itself didn't kill them, but most likely the carbon monoxide. Mind you I am curious as to why the blast happened at approx 6:30 and 911 wasn't called until 8-ish.

74304[/snapback]

Too busy praying by the sound of it.

May have been a mistake when someone called from below and said "12 miners were alive" meaning they HAD BEEN alive not they ACTUALLY STILL ARE alive

May have been a mistake when someone called from below and said "12 miners were alive" meaning they HAD BEEN alive not they ACTUALLY STILL ARE alive

74987[/snapback]

Why would someone announce "12 miners WERE alive"? Do they usually only employ the walking dead in mines in the US? :lol:

Apparently the mix up was something like someone saying they were checking the vital signs of 11 of them. Someone presumed this meant seeing how badly injured each of them were, rather than going checking pulses going "Aye, deed. Aye, deed."