England

LeazesMag

We'll draw 0-0 in Oslo and everyone will say Hodgson is the worst England manager in history.

As far as the country is concerned, it's the first tournament that I can remember in my life time where genuinely there is nee expectation at all. I think on paper we've had at worst an outside chance in every one since 80. This time nee chance, might dee them good with less pressure.

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll draw 0-0 in Oslo and everyone will say Hodgson is the worst England manager in history.

As far as the country is concerned, it's the first tournament that I can remember in my life time where genuinely there is nee expectation at all. I think on paper we've had at worst an outside chance in every one since 80. This time nee chance, might dee them good with less pressure.

It will do them good. I see this appointment like Pardew in a lot of ways, i think he/we will surprise a few people. We only need to score 1 goal and not let any in to go through. Sounds easy saying it like that but a decent start would be a draw against the frogs.

I'm also sure having an English boss will make a difference, you can argue its a younger generation thing or whatever but players have not been 'that arsed' about playing for the national side since we started employing interesting looking, windswept gep-wearing foreigners as our manager. I bet 'its Roy of the Rovers stuff' gets said on national telly at least once this summer.

"windswept gep-wearing foreigners" :lol:

Hahaha. That made me think of Isegrim in the England dug out at Wembley.

A draw against France would dee, the bookies and people in general seem to think the other two games should be easy. I think they'll both be as hard as the France game. We're playing the host country, Ukraine has 45m people, in front of 50,000 with just 3,000 England fans there, will be a proper backs to the wall job imo, because they're far from shite, and Sweden, it's so long ago since England actually beat them in a competitive game, Newcastle have won a trophy in the time that's elapsed since.

Lennon and Carrick should have been in there. Richards too. That aside, he got it mostly right. Downing is a baffling one, as is Henderson on standby. Downing gets in I suppose because of our complete lack of left footed wingers. Henderson because of Carrick ruling himself out of being on standby, the muppet.

Toon fan with a mackem accent, I can see why he appeals to some on this page. Seriously I don't know what games people see or how they view players sometimes, Johnson and Lennon, well for me pace trickery delivery in abundance from the two of them, I'd have like to have seen Johnson Rooney and Lennon as a front three personally, how can you not take them yet take that robot Downing?

Only Downing was managed by Hodgson. I reckon that's what gives him the nod over the other two. Same reason Martin Kelly is also on the radar.

England will never get anywhere with this 'jobs for the boys' attitude - it has to be down to picking form players and proven good tournament performances.

Toon fan with a mackem accent, I can see why he appeals to some on this page. Seriously I don't know what games people see or how they view players sometimes, Johnson and Lennon, well for me pace trickery delivery in abundance from the two of them, I'd have like to have seen Johnson Rooney and Lennon as a front three personally, how can you not take them yet take that robot Downing?

Completely agree on Johnson ahead of Downing but I reckon the reason Lennon was overlooked was that he's seen as being too similar to Walcott and Walcott's had a decent enough season (with a few notably awful games). Honestly can't think of a single reason why Downing was picked.

Only Downing was managed by Hodgson. I reckon that's what gives him the nod over the other two. Same reason Martin Kelly is also on the radar.

England will never get anywhere with this 'jobs for the boys' attitude - it has to be down to picking form players and proven good tournament performances.

huh?

His thinking must just be that there are already better versions of Johnson and Lennon (Young and Walcott) in the squad and he wanted to have the option of a different sort of player.

I would have taken him but Johnson's one of those players that fans seem to love far more than managers, he's good to watch and does score a decent share of goals but likewise he makes bad decisions sometimes and seems to lose the ball a fair bit. Seems to shoot from distance far too often when there's must better options on.

Last year would have said Lennon had to go but seems he's been injured a lot this year and saw recently that Walcott has much superior stats this season.

Saying that if stats has anything to do with it Downing shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. At just sticking to the wing and whipping in crosses Downing's ok though and I think the 0 assists thing can be misleading, I've seen him have a few decent games and a lot of the time he's been crossing decent enough balls but with only Suarez to aim for.

Where was Downing managed by Hodgson like?

I think the shooting is a result of him playing on the right a lot Rather than playing like a proper winger on the left crossing with his strong foot

Talking on 5Loive about this tonight, what a bunch of cnuts the press are. They have 4 reporters on there and every single one of them is bitter about the appointment.

CNUTS

Saying that if stats has anything to do with it Downing shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. At just sticking to the wing and whipping in crosses Downing's ok though and I think the 0 assists thing can be misleading, I've seen him have a few decent games and a lot of the time he's been crossing decent enough balls but with only Suarez to aim for.

You'll hear any number of Scousers complain "we dominated all these games, look how many times we hit the bar/post" as their finishing has been notoriously poor this season. Downing would have a lot more (or even some) assists to his name if his mates could hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

was out last night with my mate who lives in Dulwich [who doesn't know Dr Gloom, although I suspected he may have done] who hates Chelsea with a passion because he works with lots of them and says they are all gloryseekers. Anyway, we agreed that while Woy may be uninspiring, as I said a few weeks ago he has always done well with average players...........

Which is what England have right now. He makes these teams hard to beat, organised and will concentrate on a rigid British 4-4-2 system which in some ways may get the best out of some of them. He might surprise us and grind out a few 1-0 wins. Expect nothing is the key and we might enjoy it more than we think.

I for one will be supporting England and would not do anything else.

Saying goodbye to those who don't want to play for England is the obvious good and correct start.

Forster must be either playing in the wrong league or fuckin shocking :lol:

In both seasons that he's been with Celtic he's broken their record for clean sheets kept so it isn't his performances. Hodgson obviously just rates League Two more highly than the SPL.