Favourite Free Software

Christmas Tree

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your favourite free software.

I'll start with spybot search and destroy.

:lol:

Can imagine you getting in a huff after doing a manual scan cos you won't get to use it for another month.

Probably Itunes for me. Used it daily for a decade or so and paid for 1 song.

Why would you have two browsers?

I use a lot of different computers in my day to day. which one Im using depends on the machine Im on

On the subject of videos what do people do.

Basically you can capture them on a phone, Camera or camcorder. They are usually in different formats. Do people just keep them in one format or transfer them all to the same etc.

VLC is a cracking little player like.

Stopped using firefox. It became too heavy for me so now use Chrome.

On the subject of videos what do people do.

Basically you can capture them on a phone, Camera or camcorder. They are usually in different formats. Do people just keep them in one format or transfer them all to the same etc.

I tend to leave them as they are

if im playing them on my comp VLC can play owt anyway

if Im putting them on a disc then making it a playable DVD encodes it differently anyway (i think)

It's a video conversion thing that has presets installed for popular devices. So if you want to turn a video you download into the perfect file for an iPod touch, you just select the iPod touch preset, select the file, and away it goes.

It's actually less necessary these days now that Apple allow apps that play non Apple formats.

I tend to leave them as they are

if im playing them on my comp VLC can play owt anyway

if Im putting them on a disc then making it a playable DVD encodes it differently anyway (i think)

It does, DVD's are encoded as MPEG-2.

Not technically a piece of standalone software but Video Download Helper plug-in for firefox is great, you can basically download any video/audio from pretty much any website (or at least any website the general public are likely to be visiting) also suggests websites with video content for you to peruse including the dorty stuff if you are so inclined.

It's a video conversion thing that has presets installed for popular devices. So if you want to turn a video you download into the perfect file for an iPod touch, you just select the iPod touch preset, select the file, and away it goes.

It's actually less necessary these days now that Apple allow apps that play non Apple formats.

Si if I was to come across a film that was in an mkv or flv format that dont play on my TV, this should convert if to AVI? and its free? :lol:

Si if I was to come across a film that was in an mkv or flv format that dont play on my TV, this should convert if to AVI? and its free? :lol:

Yep it will do just that, I regularly transcode FLV's to MPEG-4 in it. You can get it here: http://www.squared5.com/

It may depend on what codecs you have installed on your system, but codecs can be easily downloaded if you haven't already got them. Alternatively, Subler will transcode an MKV into an MPEG-4 and allow you to edit the metadata (so you can label TV series as such and they don't pop-up in your movies folder in I-Tunes, and let you add/remove subtitle streams) may be a mac only jobby though?