The Ten Best Ever Newcastle Goals

there is no footage of the goal Malcolm Macdonald scored against Leicester in 1975 [which I never saw because I was on holiday but I am assured today that it was still better than Cisse's], but going by what I've seen, that 2nd goal from Cisse last night was likewise, absolutely astounding, a ridiculous but amazing hit, whatever you want to call it, watching it at the time was something so completely stunning, the pregnant pause of a second or so before the uproar in the pub said everything. Enjoy because you might never see the like of it again. Outstanding.

The Shearer goal against Everton is now relegated to 2nd place, and 3rd place in the view of the person who was at that Leicester game.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any video of Laurent Roberts overhead kick backheel? Don't think I've seen it since the night he scored it.

4 minutes or so in

Tough job naming the 10 best, you would have to think about it. I'd have to think very hard and I'm sure I'd miss out an obvious one.

Edited by LeazesMag

Shearer

Shearer

Cisse

HBA

Ginola

Mcdonalds

Ronaldo

Steven Carr

Griffin

There, I just did it without thinking.

HBA has scored 2 candidates already.

Aye, smashing goal in its own right but the situation it was scored in makes it even moreso

this is a fucking stupid debate, we've scored far too many excellent goals to do this.

nice to remember a lot of them though :D

I have to confess some bias here.

Supermac was my first Magpie hero- as a nipper I absolutely worshipped him. I cried when Lee sold him to Arsenal.

That, and the beautiful ability of nostalgia to make things seem better than they really were have given me cause to look back and think " was he really that good?"

Yes , he was. My god he was a monster!

For me, the only player to equal McDonald , purely on goalscoring ability and hunger , is Shearer.

Thre two , to me, have so many parallels , that it's hard to pick one above the other.

Anyway, just thought I'd post this to let the younger lads know that Supermac really was as good as Shearer in his day.

(I've partaken of beer tonight , so be gentle when you tear me apart , bitches ;) )

Don't know if it's up there with some of those mentioned, but one of my favourites was against Sheffield Wednesday... Pedro from a tight as fuck angle over a fat Kevin Pressman, post and in. The season of the horizontal striped away kit. Anyone remember it?

What a great thread, and what a ridiculous number of fantastic forwards and goals we've had at NUFC. I've seen a lot of these goals at the stadium but I've got a shit memory unfortunately when it comes to dates and who we were playing against. Often it's not the quality of the goal you remember though but its context I guess. Cisse's goal last night was beyond words though.

No vids but some random ones not mentioned (I think)

MacDonald Versus Leicester in about 75 - one of the few occasions as a kid I was in the Leazes and was right in line with it - typical thunderbolt.

Waddle versus Blackburn in 84 - curler with the outside of his foot.

Varadi versus Charlton - ran from almost the length of the field

Beardsley versus Pompey - because of the view I didn't see the final dummy on the line until later but fucking hell what a goal.

McGhee versus Bradford - I remember it being sweeter as they'd "parked the bus" to use the topical phrase to a horrendous degree and a fantastic late winner was such a victory for football.

Beardsley versus Everton first time around - Messi-eqsue start from a standing position and tap the ball from one fooot to the other to beat 2 or 3 men while getting faster before rifiling it into the bottom corner.

Beardsley versus Boro in 84.

Cole versus Chelsea - left-footed screamer.

Cole's 40th - relatively simple round the keepr but the significance made it great.

Mathie versus Sheff Wed - I don't care what anyone says I think it was meant and if Cantona had scored it, it would have been shown every day for a year.

Bearsdley versus Sheff Wed almost from the byline - Trevor Francis' jealous dismissal of it as a fluke is why I despise him with more than the usual vitriol reserved for run of the mill pricks.

Might do more later.

Beardsley vs Brighton in the last game of the promotion season always makes my list for various reasons

Although this was a close second. This season has certainly given us quite a few!

Edited by RobinRobin

Aye, I think it's fair to say compiling a top ten is nigh on impossible.

It's also interesting to note the difference between a great goal in it's own right and one like Tiotes v Arsenal for instance for what it meant to the game.

Them you have the old scenario where more current goals are fresher in the memory than old ones.

I remember when I was younger people use to drool over a great goal scored by Liam ??? for Arsenal because of the swerve he achieved.

Cisses goal took swerving to a whole new level so that clinches it for me just ahead of Shearers thunderbolt v Everton. ( I think :lol: )