The Ten Best Ever Newcastle Goals

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dyer v Everton

What a player Dyer was, all too infrequently at times. I don't remember the backheel finish @ 1.35, is it Leverkusen in the CL?

The Everton goal was what I thought of when I saw the thread title, in terms of sheer athleticism the best goal I've ever seen, possibly equalled by Ben Arfa's recent effort.

Speaking of backheels, that overhead 'dolphin' thing by Robert against Fulham (2004 I think) was a bit special.

Dyer was class but Ben Arfa's goals have been better for me. Dyer's runs were basically about him knocking it out of his feet and getting on his bike. Ben Arfa operates at pace too, but he's a million times more skillfull. He's about balance, dropping the shoulder and drawing the challenge. He'll run head on into defenders facing him and beat them, whereas Dyer was more about knocking it past them and relying on the after burners kicking in.

I love this one

I like the goal he scored against Chelsea, where he delicately scooped the over and around Cudicini (I think) after being put through by Viana (I think)

The Everton and Villa goals aside, our record scorer is almost conspicuous by his absence here, with Robert, Solano and the more recent Cisse and Ben Arfa dominating.

Shearer had a different craft, rather than tight dribbling, tricks and feints, swerve and curl on his shot, he had power, strength, ruthlessness and tenacity, a sledgehammer rather than a surgeon's knife. The amount of goals where he just muscled past or through defenders to make a chance...a goal against Spurs on the 7-1 (I think) springs to mind.

The Everton and Villa goals aside, our record scorer is almost conspicuous by his absence here, with Robert, Solano and the more recent Cisse and Ben Arfa dominating.

Shearer had a different craft, rather than tight dribbling, tricks and feints, swerve and curl on his shot, he had power, strength, ruthlessness and tenacity, a sledgehammer rather than a surgeon's knife. The amount of goals where he just muscled past or through defenders to make a chance...a goal against Spurs on the 7-1 (I think) springs to mind.

The Shearer at Blackburn that won the league single handed (and the season before that) was the best striker the PL has ever witnessed mind. Doesn't matter what the papers say, Henry's individual impact has to be adjusted for that Arsenal team he was in. The team was just that good. Blackburn on the other hand, they'd just give it to Shearer and he'd score from 40 yards every week.

The Shearer at Blackburn that won the league single handed (and the season before that) was the best striker the PL has ever witnessed mind. Doesn't matter what the papers say, Henry's individual impact has to be adjusted for that Arsenal team he was in. The team was just that good. Blackburn on the other hand, they'd just give it to Shearer and he'd score from 40 yards every week.

Equally, when Rooney eventually becomes all time top Prem scorer ever, he will have played in a team which will have been either Champions or runners up for about 15 years. Shearer played in one league winning side (which he won himself) a couple of very good teams for us, but also six or seven years of absolute dogshit sides.

Oh yeah, I don't mean any of that as a criticism, I mean there's a lot more to being a striker than chips and feints etc. look at Messi, 68 goals this season but toothless against Chelsea.

Equally, when Rooney eventually becomes all time top Prem scorer ever, he will have played in a team which will have been either Champions or runners up for about 15 years. Shearer played in one league winning side (which he won himself) a couple of very good teams for us, but also six or seven years of absolute dogshit sides.

I haven't seen the figures. This is on the cards then?