Home Brewing

Christmas Tree

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye but look how you turned out. Like one of those drug casualties you see on Haight Ashbury. ;)

Hey you, I've been off the bong water for 6 months now.

Edited by trophyshy

That box is about 40 pints so it only cost £12? Where from?

The box I bought includes all the initial kit, barrels etc and was £69 so the first run works out at 1.72 a pint.

After that you just buy the tin kits which range from £10 to £25 for 40 pints depending what tipple you want.

The kit I bought was from Tesco but you can get them all over such as Wilkinsons or even Ebay etc.

Don't you have to drink then canny quick before it goes off? With what he had for tea last night and now this home brew thing, I think it's safe to say that CT is about to have one of his growth spurts.

The norm seems to be between 4 and 6 months.

Lost 2 pounds this week as it happens. :lol:

So today was Brew day!

Quite a nerve racking experience as it turned out particularly trying to get everything sterilised properly and then getting the mixture to the right temperature before adding the yeast.

Sterilisation complete (not my pint pot on the window sill ;) )

hrx20n.jpg

All the kit ready to go in and instructions

29ar2xe.jpg

Decide to use spring water instead of tap due to not being quite sure how chlorine it would be.

28mkad5.jpg

And finally the assembled ingredients hopefully fermenting away. Start off gravity was 1038.

ngo6c0.jpg

Looks more like 40 pints of brown ale but I am assured it will turn a nice amber nectar colour before bottling.

Hopefully the weather will return in a few weeks just in time for a Wham garden party to sample my brew.

Edited by Christmas Tree

How long does it take, Derek Brewlander? To be drinkable I mean.

Instructions say as soon as it stops fermenting (about a week) its okay to bottle or put in a keg and then a few days in a bottle for the fizz to go again.

However the old lads who know there stuff say just leave it brewing for two weeks.

My mate used to do a few of these, and they tended to do better if you leave them to brew for a while as well once you've bottled it.

Sounds right.

Kit comes with a bag of sweet like things that look like little pear drops and you pop one in each bottle before you fill it. This is then known as the secondary fermentation and gives the fizz when opened.

Most of the say if you can hold off 3 or 4 months then you really get the best tasting stuff.

I think its fair to say Im going to get a few more buckets and get a few more things on the go.

A fortnight is fair warning for the residents of Boldon.

"This is a CT alert.

This is a CT alert

The tubby one is pissed in his garden

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

REPEAT- THIS IS NOT A DRILL

Please prepare yourself. "

ear_defenders.jpg

Sounds right.

Kit comes with a bag of sweet like things that look like little pear drops and you pop one in each bottle before you fill it. This is then known as the secondary fermentation and gives the fizz when opened.

Most of the say if you can hold off 3 or 4 months then you really get the best tasting stuff.

I think its fair to say Im going to get a few more buckets and get a few more things on the go.

maybe wait to see if you like the home made stuff first, although if you don't i've heard it do wonders for the veggie patch as fertilizer

maybe wait to see if you like the home made stuff first, although if you don't i've heard it do wonders for the veggie patch as fertilizer

Thing is an Australian lager would never have been my choice but it came with the kit. Therefore I'm not expecting anything great from it.

There are some quality proven Real Ale kits that I think will be a much nicer drink.

Coopers is decent stuff man. If you go to Rehills they sell some of their stuff there. We're not talking Fosters here.

Now that you mention it I think Johnny said something similar.

We'll give it a go, but If nothing else it might keep the daughters boyfriends off my good stuff.

Thing is an Australian lager would never have been my choice but it came with the kit. Therefore I'm not expecting anything great from it.

There are some quality proven Real Ale kits that I think will be a much nicer drink.

first go though, i think you should aim for not wanting to throw the lot of it out. follow the directions to a 'T" first time out, once you get a feel for it and get brave enough tinker away, that way if it is crap you know its the brand of beer thats garbage and not your instruction following skills.....just my opinion.