How Newcastle Became Talk Of The Toon

Christmas Tree

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but what happened ? How many places ? How much money ? I thought he was a financial whizz kid ? How come he has took it backwards at all from the hopeless owners who he bought it from ? Has he taken the club backwards in terms of financial expectations as well as on the field ambitions ?

Poor management meant we lost revenues, I reckon we are missing about £20m in commercial revenue. TV is fixed, ticket prices are frozen, so it's all corporate and sponsorship money that is missing. Some of the that £20m is due to the economy but the majority is down to mis-management. If we get Europe, that will claw back up to €10m and we'll see an uplift this year from more TV and better league placing. Canal + now carries every game we play, so overseas revenue might be on the way up, difficult to say. Then of course if we get CL (canny price at 6/1 iyam) that could total an extra £40m all in with tv, gates, overseas, corporate etc. If that happened, it would be unprecedented financial performance. We're on the up for at least the next financial year regardless.

i'm not wrong. credit where it's due - the coaching staff and the players have surpassed all expectations. they've worked miracles. not even the most optimistic on here predicted us to have the season we're having.

i'm not prepared to give ashley much credit yet though. so far the success has been achieved despite his actions rather than because of them. i'll be the first to admit i'm wrong if this season lays the foundations for future success. unlike last summer, i'd like to see us hang on to the core of players that have done so well this season and add to the squad. ashley doing that will go a long way to changing my mind that it wasn't a fluke and that he's serious about the club's future success.

you're sounding more like me all the time. Well done.

That's unfair, Dr Gloom does not sound at all conceited.

but what happened ? How many places ? How much money ? I thought he was a financial whizz kid ? How come he has took it backwards at all from the hopeless owners who he bought it from ? Has he taken the club backwards in terms of financial expectations as well as on the field ambitions ?

Poor management meant we lost revenues, I reckon we are missing about £20m in commercial revenue.

poor management ? Maybe it's deliberate ? So how do you think this will be made up again ? What about the clubs that have overtaken us ? How have they done it ? Don't you think the money from the sale of Carroll has been used to cover this "poor management" ? How much money ? I thought he was a financial whizz kid ? How come he has took it backwards at all from the hopeless owners who he bought it from ? Has he taken the club backwards in terms of financial expectations as well as on the field ambitions ?

Edited by LeazesMag

i'm not wrong. credit where it's due - the coaching staff and the players have surpassed all expectations. they've worked miracles. not even the most optimistic on here predicted us to have the season we're having.

i'm not prepared to give ashley much credit yet though. so far the success has been achieved despite his actions rather than because of them. i'll be the first to admit i'm wrong if this season lays the foundations for future success. unlike last summer, i'd like to see us hang on to the core of players that have done so well this season and add to the squad. ashley doing that will go a long way to changing my mind that it wasn't a fluke and that he's serious about the club's future success.

you're sounding more like me all the time. Well done.

That's unfair, Dr Gloom does not sound at all conceited.

but he's learning. Faster than most on here too.

Absolutely agree with that fwiw, and I was going to reference it but felt it deviated too much from the main point I was trying to make. The commercial revenues are genuinely sub-standard 'for a club of our size and stature' [/b] (a context where I'm actually happy to use that particular turn of phrase) and need addressing in the next wave. Theres real scope to increase income there, but again for mainly historical reasons, I dont expect it to shoot us into the same strata as Liverpool, hence the focus will still need to be on the development methods that are working well for us at the moment. In fact unless and until your levels of income are the same as the other 3 species of club mentioned, if you only try and compete with them on a short term spend basis, without trying to turn other factors to your advantage which the rich clubs dont exploit or under exploit, you're basically not working hard enough in the running of your football club in 2012.

and see post nr 2 by yourself

All LM's guff about realising the potential size of the club etc etc

so what exactly is this "guff" ?

The post you clipped answered the question on how we are going to make the lost revenue up. They've taken us backwards but at the moment we are moving forwards. The most progressive club in the division to be exact.

I'd assume the same ewerk if we were not a genuine story. Could well be of course but the strength of that story keeps increasing due to results, the last one I put down more to the disarray at Liverpool than our strengths.

I completely agree with Manc-mag's post except to say that as is rightly pointed out on here (and something I tried to estimate financially last year on here) the club's commercial income is currently well below it's potential. There are mitigating factors but Ashley will be doing a brilliant job when that is addressed, until then it's good but not great.

This club has yet to realise it's full earning potential and I don't mean just under this regime.

I don't think anyone could mount a realistic argument against the current financial state and direction that the club has taken. Certainly individual aspects could be improved on in isolation but on the whole it has been a remarkable turnaround not only from after the relegation, but from the point we were at when Ashley took over.

I find it quite remarkable that we're in this position when you consider all the mistakes and PR disasters that have been made, including the continued lies and ambiguous misleading statements that the club have released.

The biggest worry I have is that supporter sentiment could quite easily swing if the forward momentum isn't maintained or if the run of good results begins to falter. It's easy to forgive some pretty ordinary actions in the face of wonderful results and a team truly United.

I could be devil's advocate here and say what the Ashley/Llambias axis of evil has really got right is to appoint a decent manager (who's also brought in a decent coach in Carver). Same as the previous lot did with SBR. Once you get results on the pitch everything else falls into place, notwithstanding that you've made an arse of it by and large up to then.

Of course there's a lot more to it than that, I'd really like to believe they've taken on board all the mistakes and have determined not to repeat them. But I scratch my head to wonder how the same lot that appointed Kinnear managed to pull the rabbit out of the hat with Pardew. Lucky or visionary?

I could be devil's advocate here and say what the Ashley/Llambias axis of evil has really got right is to appoint a decent manager (who's also brought in a decent coach in Carver). Same as the previous lot did with SBR. Once you get results on the pitch everything else falls into place, notwithstanding that you've made an arse of it by and large up to then.

Of course there's a lot more to it than that, I'd really like to believe they've taken on board all the mistakes and have determined not to repeat them. But I scratch my head to wonder how the same lot that appointed Kinnear managed to pull the rabbit out of the hat with Pardew. Lucky or visionary?

T'is said, better to be lucky than good.

Although I don't ascribe to it being down to pure luck tbh. Billionaire's don't become stinking rich solely by being lucky, they learn from their mistakes ultra fast and are totally ruthless in putting things right. The despatch of Houghton and replacement with Pardew was ruthless and at the time bizarre (appeared almost a Kinnear-esque decision) yet the appointment of Pardew now seems inspired, although perhaps that has a taint of "luck" (although we have no idea what science - if any - went into that decision).

As with all things football a team/clubs success is down to striking it "lucky" with a manager right place/right time etc etc.

The post you clipped answered the question on how we are going to make the lost revenue up. They've taken us backwards but at the moment we are moving forwards. The most progressive club in the division to be exact.

with 25m quid burning a hole in the managers transfer kitty, which is not being given to him ? I don't think so.

You should answer all those questions, if you really want to substantiate that absurd claim you are making.

Basically, they have moved the goalposts, gone backwards and set up lower forward expectation levels. In a nutshell, that is spot on and time will prove it. They have gone 3 steps backwards, gone 1 or 2 step forwards again but it all stops here. Enjoy it while you can, because they will not build on this by keeping their best players and backing the manager.

Which is fine if you want to watch a financially stable club sitting in the premiership without reaching out to stay among the top places, but people who actually go to games and support the club by putting their cash into it tend to have a different priority.

Edited by LeazesMag

Time will prove it. :lol:

Roughly translates as "Fair enough, I'm wrong and I look a fool. But one day I'll be right."

speak when you are spoken to. Fool.

Name me a more progressive club this season and i'll go back and answer the questions that i didnt address specifically.

one swallow doesn't make a summer. What are you going to say when the club don't attempt to move further forward and sell their best player and witthold cash from the manager again ? Are you still going to say this is "progress" ?

Meanwhile, as you are happy to say that the club has gone backwards in the financial tables and in real revenues too, what exactly do they have to do to restore these lost revenues as compared to our rivals ?

Three steps backwards and 1 or 2 steps forwards isn't long term progress.

Some of it reads good - then you get to the iffy parts.

The reasoning behind 'Sports Direct Arena' is revenue yet the club haven't recieved a penny from Sports Direct - it's all been free.

Also the part where it mentions all of our players are effectively for sale, even if it's true it's not something you should go about shouting, I thought the Carroll sale would ''allow'' us to hold onto our players in case 'sovereign nations' came into buy them?

There's no point in building a decent team if it can be broken up for cash, obviously there are planned replacements for each player but this hasn't been done with much haste recently and now matter how good a scout Graham Carr is he can't get it right all the time, players aren't cogs in a machine, they won't all instantly fit.

Anyway I'm going to enjoy what's left of the season before the media have an entire summer of 'Newcastle player linked with...'

On paper EVERY player in the world is for sale, that is to say they all have their price. I believe that most of the top players in La Liga have buyout clauses in their contracts, including Messi, however they are above and beyond what people would/could pay. I seem to recall reading that Messi's buyout clause was around 250 million Euros in 2009, but I think it has been upped since then!

I also think that keeping our players happy will be the best way to keep them!

Ashleys done a brilliant job where it matters most for 2 years. When he started to get it right it was warranted to be cautious because of the 3 years previous. But he doesn't deserve stick until it goes tits up again.....footballwise.

+1

with 25m quid burning a hole in the managers transfer kitty, which is not being given to him ? I don't think so.

You should answer all those questions, if you really want to substantiate that absurd claim you are making.

Basically, they have moved the goalposts, gone backwards and set up lower forward expectation levels. In a nutshell, that is spot on and time will prove it. They have gone 3 steps backwards, gone 1 or 2 step forwards again but it all stops here. Enjoy it while you can, because they will not build on this by keeping their best players and backing the manager.

Which is fine if you want to watch a financially stable club sitting in the premiership without reaching out to stay among the top places, but people who actually go to games and support the club by putting their cash into it tend to have a different priority.

Can't be arsed to check but i'm pretty fuckin sure you advocated hitting Ashley in the pocket by not buying pies/pints etc.... Hypocritical twat.

I agree they went back 2 steps but surely they have went forward 5? We wernt in Europe when they took over you know?

Oh and your line about "people who go to games " etc isn't correct

I agree they went back 2 steps but surely they have went forward 5? We wernt in Europe when they took over you know?

Oh and your line about "people who go to games " etc isn't correct

2 steps back and 5 steps forward ?

Does that mean we have finished in the top 5 for 3 or 4 seasons in a row ?