Newcastle & European Qualification

loonyTOON

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairness, Villa were in a CL spot at the time and he chose to prioritise that rather than the UEFA Cup. Not sure whether our fans would chose to do it differently.

Fair point. But nice to have the option! If we're going all out for a CL spot, I would imagine we'd push more for that too.

Thats the point though. The difference in income between the CL and EL is huge and not worth the disruption to the league season with the squad we have as it stands. Nobody has mentioned anybody leaving in the summer, which will undoubtedly happen iyam, and nobody has mentioned bedding new players in and the effect that could have.

I'll say this again, Llambias has already said he wants a smaller squad and this is also the club whose bosses who thought we could do without central defensive cover once Taylor was out for the season. You lot cant winge one week about Perch having to play centre back then argue that we're well equipped for an assault on Europe the next with him still in what may be an incresingly smaller squad.Theyre releasing about 9 players this summer aren't they?. I can't beleive some of you have been taken in by the last couple of weeks. 2 swallows dont make a summer...our league posistion will suffer next season on the back of 30k crowds v Metalurgist or Litex fuckin Loveggs...its not fuckin worth the grief iyam. Consolidate in the league next season then have a dig at the europa when we've had another summer of re-investment would be a wiser move iyam.

Guest CabayeAye

In fairness, Villa were in a CL spot at the time and he chose to prioritise that rather than the UEFA Cup. Not sure whether our fans would chose to do it differently.

Fair point. But nice to have the option! If we're going all out for a CL spot, I would imagine we'd push more for that too.

Thats the point though. The difference in income between the CL and EL is huge and not worth the disruption to the league season with the squad we have as it stands. Nobody has mentioned anybody leaving in the summer, which will undoubtedly happen iyam, and nobody has mentioned bedding new players in and the effect that could have.

I'll say this again, Llambias has already said he wants a smaller squad and this is also the club whose bosses who thought we could do without central defensive cover once Taylor was out for the season. You lot cant winge one week about Perch having to play centre back then argue that we're well equipped for an assault on Europe the next with him still in what may be an incresingly smaller squad.Theyre releasing about 9 players this summer aren't they?. I can't beleive some of you have been taken in by the last couple of weeks. 2 swallows dont make a summer...our league posistion will suffer next season on the back of 30k crowds v Metalurgist or Litex fuckin Loveggs...its not fuckin worth the grief iyam. Consolidate in the league next season then have a dig at the europa when we've had another summer of re-investment would be a wiser move iyam.

If we got rid of the chaff and brought in 5 quality players, we'd have a smaller squad AND be better equipped. i.e. 2 x CBs, 2 x FBs, 1 x FW

Remember we still have the following players on our books:

Smith, Xisco, Ranger, Lovenkrands, Harper, Best.

We wouldn't miss a single one of those players if they went tomorrow.

I don't follow your logic. If the club are going to reduce the size of our squad why would we suddenly be better equipped for Europe a year from now? The same reasons why you think Europe would be bad for us now will still be there then, and possibly worse.

Gaining European qualification will increase revenue, rhetoric from the club would want us to believe that this would translate to additional playing staff. Even if it doesn't it will make it harder to justify any reductions in the current squad size. Two defenders in and I think we'd have a squad size that is capable of adding the Europa to our schedule without seriously affecting us in the league. Time will tell what happens with the playing roster, from there if we qualify, we have to rely on Pardew etc to get the balance right.

just saw this and while i don't think being in europe can be bad, there are some good points. Basically, if the club qualify, they need to further strengthen.

Fulham got to the final using a much smaller, older and inferior group of players, beating the likes of Juventus and Hamburg along the way and their league position was much the same as it usually is that season. It's certainly possible to combine the two.

Can't agree.

We can have a stab at the Europa with a fringe squad, developing our players and giving our fringe players some games. We don't need to go all out and make it our number one priority.

Qualifying for the Europa League will allow us to more easily attract one or two new additions, and move the squad forwards. Realistically, we can't compete with Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea, and in the immediate future I think Spurs and Arsenal are a good few years ahead of us. We have no guarantees whatsoever that we can even qualify for the Europa League again next season, so we should happily accept qualification this time around.

Whoever we bring in as backups, a long term injury to Krul, Coloccini or Ba / Cisse could easily scupper our chances (just as Arsenal would be buggered without RVP and Man City without Yaya Toure).

Was driving along contemplating the run and wondered.....

Does the team get any advantage from playing in the black and White stripes?

What percentage of the season do we play in them?

Ie Can the players pick each other out slightly more quickly if they look up and see the black and White rather than orange or blue etc

If so, should we not see out the season in them. Is there a requirement to wear an alternative so many times or is it just when strips clash?

I agree to a degree with PL and LM here. While I think our first team could do ok in the Europa, all it would do is add stress to tired players. Tired players = injured players. The only way I'd want us to get in to Europe is with a stronger squad. Fine, let 5 players go that we dont see now (smith etc) but replace them with 3 we would use. Then in Europe you would have to rotate the squad. The situation we have now at CB would see us kicked out of Europe quickly and our league would suffer because of it. That said, its unlucky to loose your starting two CHs. But then the ACN will come about and we have no forwards (worth mentioning).

I'd like to see us back in Europe, but I can only see first time around will be another lesson learned by the club. Need the squad for it.

I don't follow your logic. If the club are going to reduce the size of our squad why would we suddenly be better equipped for Europe a year from now? The same reasons why you think Europe would be bad for us now will still be there then, and possibly worse.

Gaining European qualification will increase revenue, rhetoric from the club would want us to believe that this would translate to additional playing staff. Even if it doesn't it will make it harder to justify any reductions in the current squad size. Two defenders in and I think we'd have a squad size that is capable of adding the Europa to our schedule without seriously affecting us in the league. Time will tell what happens with the playing roster, from there if we qualify, we have to rely on Pardew etc to get the balance right.

Consolidate in the league next season then have a dig at the europa when we've had another summer of re-investment would be a wiser move iyam.

Ie Can the players pick each other out slightly more quickly if they look up and see the black and White rather than orange or blue etc

If so, should we not see out the season in them. Is there a requirement to wear an alternative so many times or is it just when strips clash?

Read ages ago a study that looked into the correlation between the success of Manchester United & Liverpool and the fact that they both play in red. You can factor in Arsenal as well too.

Not sure about black & white stripes but you have teams like Juventus who are used to success.

I'd say keep the orange kit - it's so hideous that the opposition won't know what hit 'em. Like playing 11 goalies. :D

:lol: Concentrate on your driving ffs.

don't let the facts and/or a bit of research get in the way of an "opinion" :lol:

A rather moronic one at that too

http://www.dur.ac.uk..._et_al_2008.pdf

Edited by LeazesMag

Consolidate in the league next season then have a dig at the europa when we've had another summer of re-investment would be a wiser move iyam.

The rest of your post talked about our squad shrinking over the summer, so why is it that you expect it will grow in the following one? Regarding the bedding in of players if the continuing pattern is to buy, develop and sell then we'll never have our whole side bedded in.

I'm not suggesting that we'll have a squad that's capable of competing with strong sides both in the Europa and in the League, but if our team can qualify for Europe I'd welcome it with a big smile and open arms. Could we be better prepared for it? Of course we fucking well could, but there's never a guarantee that we'll make it in the following season - anything could happen as we all know.

It really doesn't matter if we get knocked out of the Europa in the early stages. It gives us a chance to give some fringe and youth players some valuable experience. If our league position is severely compromised by our Europa league participation then it's a case of poor prioritising by management.

The rest of your post talked about our squad shrinking over the summer, so why is it that you expect it will grow in the following one? Regarding the bedding in of players if the continuing pattern is to buy, develop and sell then we'll never have our whole side bedded in.

I'm not suggesting that we'll have a squad that's capable of competing with strong sides both in the Europa and in the League, but if our team can qualify for Europe I'd welcome it with a big smile and open arms. Could we be better prepared for it? Of course we fucking well could, but there's never a guarantee that we'll make it in the following season - anything could happen as we all know.

It really doesn't matter if we get knocked out of the Europa in the early stages. It gives us a chance to give some fringe and youth players some valuable experience. If our league position is severely compromised by our Europa league participation then it's a case of poor prioritising by management.

Only going on what Llambias said, which admittedly isnt always the source of top class info. If the squad is reduced next season, it may well mean we lose 2 or 3 of our top players into the bargain. If so theyre going to go for top money. Their replacements for next season will cost less and will likely be on lower wages, seeing as most of the half dozen or so top players in the squad are on better contracts now than when they signed.That will,theoretically, leave a surplus for the following summer when we can pay even more for better players,as we have more money, the squad may well be slightly better AND slightly bigger, as we have more money to invest.Perhaps. To me, thats basically how we paid 8-10million for Cisse. Ashley hasnt spent that sort of money since the summer before we were relegated, and it obviously came from the sale of Carroll.

All I'm suggesting is we dont run before we can walk. I won't complain if we get into Europe, and if the games are within a 2/3 hour flight away then I'll be at the away ties too. But if we dont win any games on our return from these places and are 10th at xmas with 10 less points than we had last December I don't want to hear a fuckin peep out of any of you lot, agreed?! :razz:

don't let the facts and/or a bit of research get in the way of an "opinion" :lol:

A rather moronic one at that too

http://www.dur.ac.uk..._et_al_2008.pdf

no response Einstein ? :lol:

We don't play in red, you feeble minded prick. :lol:

haha, the moron returns. Read the link you pathetic arsehole. You rejected CT's comment that colours don't have an effect and you know it.

Edited by LeazesMag

It's funny when you get the admin have a word with him as if they think it's going to do any good, he just does not know any other way of behaving on a forum and he's been like this for the best part of 10 years.

I'll give it 2 weeks before he's in the creche again.