mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

I agree - I could never bring myself to really hate him despite his "crimes" against us.

I still think the equaliser at the first SOS game was offside though.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I think Phillips was a cracking little player to be fair, but he wasn't in the same category as the likes of Shearer. I loved David Kelly Quinny, Goddard and McGhee but even though I can genuinely say Shearer isn't in my top favourite NUFC players I can say without question he was the best striker we've had in my time and probably better than most of the rest of the league's strikers in my time too. I can absolutely see why the mackems revere Phillips though, I mean, there's only really Gabbiadini who comes close and he was strictly prolific second  division striker as well. 

I agree with this. If he'd have signed for us in the summer of 1997 instead of the Mackems, we'd have revered him too. Bear in mind they spent £300K on him at the same time we were shelling nearly 8 times that on Jon Dahl Tomasson.

Definitely not comparable with Shearer, but a lot of the vitriol towards him is more about who he played for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craig said:

I agree with this. If he'd have signed for us in the summer of 1997 instead of the Mackems, we'd have revered him too. Bear in mind they spent £300K on him at the same time we were shelling nearly 8 times that on Jon Dahl Tomasson.

Definitely not comparable with Shearer, but a lot of the vitriol towards him is more about who he played for.

He had one shit hot season in the PL didn’t he? With the rest being respectable.

Which is obviously much better than any other Sunderland player in Premier League history.

42 minutes ago, ewerk said:

He had one shit hot season in the PL didn’t he? With the rest being respectable.

Which is obviously much better than any other Sunderland player in Premier League history.

Aye, he had that 30 goal season in the PL (his first in the top tier) when he was 27, after that he was basically a 1 in 3 PL striker up to the age of 32. I’m not sure he would have been revered at Newcastle personally, unless his numbers had been a lot better at us. 

Fwiw, I don’t have any hatred of Phillips, he seems a nice enough bloke and was a decent PL striker I just find it absurd when Mackems bring him up in comparison to Shearer, it’s like equating Callum Wilson to Aguero. 

Edited by Howay

In the Premier League Ratboy scored 92 goals in 263 goals.Nowt special.

In his four seasons with the makems he scored 30,14,11,6.
Fair play to the lad as he didn’t give a fuck in his last season.Booed off in one game so he booted the ball at his fickle fans,so hard to hate the lad.

8 England caps and 0 goals.England flop.

14 hours ago, Alex said:

He had a good partnership with Niall Quinn. He’d have had a better one with Shearer 

So would Quinn.

56 minutes ago, Alex said:

Phillips and Shearer would’ve been a better combo though imo 

Agreed. It'd have been similar to Shearer and Bellamy.

On 29/03/2022 at 13:14, The Mighty Hog said:

That BBC Newcastle one was something. Had a look and it's almost like the actual topic of discussion just delays them getting to the actual point of the messageboard, calling each other mags or general in-fighting.

Some scarey paranoia going on in that thread. Imagine living your life believing this? 

Screenshot_20220330-221848_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 4

Did anyone really dislike Phillips or Quinn for that matter? (Besides esembee). He seems canny enough when he's been interviewed by the Magedia as manager of South Shields. He was too good for them, tbh. Agree he would, on paper at least, been a good foil for Shearer. I'd have had him over Bellamy. 

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

:D the club’s a joke but they all thought it was a great idea when he signed 

I'm happy to help those mackems on that video who are puzzled at how things are going? You see, lads, it's because you're club has been utter shit all my life and as I'm getting close to fifty I think it's not unreasonable to assume that this isn't a temporary situation? I hope this helps any visiting MLFs dropping by? :good:

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I'm happy to help those mackems on that video who are puzzled at how things are going? You see, lads, it's because you're club has been utter shit all my life and as I'm getting close to fifty I think it's not unreasonable to assume that this isn't a temporary situation? I hope this helps any visiting MLFs dropping by? :good:

:lol: Spot on. I don’t get where they get this impression the fact they're shite is temporary, in my lifetime their pinnacle has been two 7th place finishes, we’ve managed to finish higher under Mike Ashley :lol:. On top of that, the best run of consecutive seasons in the top flight for them in my lifetime is 9 seasons, if they don’t go up this season it’ll be 5 in a rowahh in League One it’s not a massive leap to assume they might equal that consecutive top flight streak with their League One run.

It’s not a fluke, they’re not hard done by, it’s where they are and it’s what they deserve. If situations were reversed I’m certain the Saudis wouldn’t have targeted them, they can laugh at our fan base but our lot have it right meanwhile they hound our managers that have them on track for promotion in favor of middle aged strikers who can’t score. 

Edited by Howay
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: Spot on. I don’t get where they get this impression the fact they're shite is temporary, in my lifetime their pinnacle has been two 7th place finishes, we’ve managed to finish higher under Mike Ashley :lol:. On top of that, the best run of consecutive seasons in the top flight for them in my lifetime is 9 seasons, if they don’t go up this season it’ll be 5 in a rowahh in League One it’s not a massive leap to assume they might equal that consecutive top flight streak with their League One run.

It’s not a fluke, they’re not hard done by, it’s where they are and it’s what they deserve. If situations were reversed I’m certain the Saudis wouldn’t have targeted them, they can laugh at our fan base but our lot have it right meanwhile they hound our managers that have them on track for promotion in favor of middle aged strikers who can’t score. 

Since 1960, sixty two years ago I make it twenty nine years of top flight football with two 7th place finishes being the standout seasons by a mile, twenty nine seasons in the second tier and five seasons, hopefully soon to be six in the third. Four games in Yewrupeyan competition in 1974 before retiring from it forever after a cup final win against Leeds flukier than the career of Alan Shearer. FTM etc.

• Haha 4

:lol:

Alex Neil:

‘I think it's difficult with somebody like Jermain, with the career he has had and what he has done, you know as a player when you feel that it is time. And unfortunately for Jermain, he got to that point.

‘I'll be honest. It was a bit of a surprise, it was a shock.

‘There weren't a lot of conversations prior to it, he trained that day, he trained well, he was fine, and the next minute we got word that he wanted to call it a day.

‘I have spoken to him since, but at the time I think it was a bit of a shock to everybody. It certainly wasn't something that was being spoken about regularly - maybe behind the scenes, but it wasn't a natural conversation that me and him had had leading up to it.

‘He's made his decision and we have to respect that, and we wish him all the best but we have to move on and try to win these remaining games.’

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, ohhh_yeah said:

:lol:

Alex Neil:

‘I think it's difficult with somebody like Jermain, with the career he has had and what he has done, you know as a player when you feel that it is time. And unfortunately for Jermain, he got to that point.

‘I'll be honest. It was a bit of a surprise, it was a shock.

‘There weren't a lot of conversations prior to it, he trained that day, he trained well, he was fine, and the next minute we got word that he wanted to call it a day.

‘I have spoken to him since, but at the time I think it was a bit of a shock to everybody. It certainly wasn't something that was being spoken about regularly - maybe behind the scenes, but it wasn't a natural conversation that me and him had had leading up to it.

‘He's made his decision and we have to respect that, and we wish him all the best but we have to move on and try to win these remaining games.’

Billy-no-mates bumped into him when Defoe was taking his recycling into the Tesco parking lot around 5pm that day and he scarpered quick.

Gandaft: "All right Jermain lad? How's playing for the mighty red and whites?"

JD: "Well..."

Gandaft: "I'm coming in with a big bid, any day now, major foreign investors backing me, Jermain. Can't name them but one starts with 'A' and ends in 'Mazon'.

JD: "Right Billy, if I could just get to the glass and plastic--"

Gandaft: "What're you on at Sunderland? Can't be too much, right? What, er, 10k a week? Five? Maybe we can renegotiate that once I've bought the club. You ever heard of Rich Energy?"

JD: "Fuck's sake, I've got to get out of this shithole." 

Gandaft: "Where are you going Jermain, we've not taken a selfie yet? (shouting) Hashtag entrepreneur!"

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Since 1960, sixty two years ago I make it twenty nine years of top flight football with two 7th place finishes being the standout seasons by a mile, twenty nine seasons in the second tier and five seasons, hopefully soon to be six in the third. Four games in Yewrupeyan competition in 1974 before retiring from it forever after a cup final win against Leeds flukier than the career of Alan Shearer. FTM etc.

Basically my lifetime and, as you say, the fluky cup final was basically all they've got (apart from the however many it was in a row #FTM)

• Like 1

With Defoe the surprising thing is that he didn't wait until the end of the season. He obviously doesn't reckon he can score the odd goal that could make a difference to their season and clearly doesn't think he can end his career with a victory at Wembley. He's clearly rocked up there and after a few weeks thought to himself, 'I've made a big fucking mistake'.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

He's clearly rocked up there and after a few weeks thought to himself, 'I've made a big fucking mistake'.

Aye, all the mackems questioning his decision making over this just have to look at the fact he actually went back there to see it’s not his forté. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3