mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

Well, they signed that Patrick Roberts who looked so promising at Fulham, Man City spent £6.5m on him, then shuttled him off to Celtic, Girona, Norwich, Middlesbrough, Derby, Troyes then released for nowt to Sunderland. 

Real Jack Rodwell vibe about him. 

Their squad has a total market value of £16.4m (according to transfermarkt), which is second only to Shef Wed. And just under 4 times that of Plymouth Argyle who are 7pts and 2 places above them in the league. 

They're 6th in the third tier of English football, 6th favourite for promotion, and their owners have 6p to rub together.

You just know they'll be crying out for him when Neill is sacked in 3 or 4 months. "He gets the club marra, MLF after all" etc etc.

And if it did happen we'd get a re-run of January's nonsense.

Has Defoe at any point said anything about a deep affection for Sunderland? They're not mentioned whatsoever in his retirement letter. You'd think he was a born and raised mackem who played for them for about a decade the way they go on. 34 goals in 3 years. For any other club, it's around minimum expectation for a striker. For Sunderland, it's enough to make you a club legend.

• Haha 2

He didn’t even score this season :lol: 

He was supposed “fire them to promotion”. Instead their bizarre need to feel important has derailed their entire season 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

:lol: This knacker keeps posting his own tweets onto RTG, if this is what they’re choosing to get wound up about it’s going to be fucking rough for them.

Edited by Howay
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

You just know they'll be crying out for him when Neill is sacked in 3 or 4 months. "He gets the club marra, MLF after all" etc etc.

And if it did happen we'd get a re-run of January's nonsense.

Has Defoe at any point said anything about a deep affection for Sunderland? They're not mentioned whatsoever in his retirement letter. You'd think he was a born and raised mackem who played for them for about a decade the way they go on. 34 goals in 3 years. For any other club, it's around minimum expectation for a striker. For Sunderland, it's enough to make you a club legend.

He gets a lot of respect for the Bradley Lowery stuff (which he should from everyone, not just Sunderland fans). He did a decent job as a player for them when they were a struggling PL side and scored that excellent derby winner of course. He was past his best by then, which is the only reason he went there. Nowt against the fella but he was never that good anyway imo. In the scores goals but does nowt else mode. But I think the love is largely a one way thing, aye 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: This knacker keeps posting his own tweets onto RTG, if this is what they’re choosing to get wound up about it’s going to be fucking rough for them.

1 like :D 

• Haha 4

His entire online personality appears to be "I hate Newcastle United". It'd be fair to say that the overwhelming majority of his posts on RTG are restricted to their "NUFC Sportswashing" threads (all of which get so big they're closed and a new one is created immediately). 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

His entire online personality appears to be "I hate Newcastle United". It'd be fair to say that the overwhelming majority of his posts on RTG are restricted to their "NUFC Sportswashing" threads (all of which get so big they're closed and a new one is created immediately). 

Aye, I’m also going to assume his outrage about Saudi Arabia/sportswashing began when the Saudis first bid, died down, and then resurfaced in October 2021. 

If they want to use the horrors committed by Saudi Arabia as a stick to beat Newcastle fans with on occasion, so be it - it’s distasteful but I get it, but this indignation and constant high and mighty act some of them try and do is pathetic. As someone pointed out despite all their outrage and posts supporting Amnesty Internationals message when it came to NUFC ownership there was precisely zero uptick in the Amnesty Sunderland branch interaction/funding or otherwise. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Howay said:

Aye, I’m also going to assume his outrage about Saudi Arabia/sportswashing began when the Saudis first bid, died down, and then resurfaced in October 2021. 

If they want to use the horrors committed by Saudi Arabia as a stick to beat Newcastle fans with on occasion, so be it - it’s distasteful but I get it, but this indignation and constant high and mighty act some of them try and do is pathetic. As someone pointed out despite all their outrage and posts supporting Amnesty Internationals message when it came to NUFC ownership there was precisely zero uptick in the Amnesty Sunderland branch interaction/funding or otherwise. 

Weren't they also sponsored by Visit Rwanda or something like that? I forget the details, but I'd be curious to see if Exile1968 (I'm assuming the numbers are his IQ then his age?) was as strident in his opposition to sportswashing then? And that's not whataboutery, I'm not saying sportswashing is ok because it was accepted before, but it's rank hypocrisy to crusade against sportswashing when it's purely directed at your erstwhile rivals.

In having a look on there, I found the page on one of their many NUFC threads where the takeover is rumoured then confirmed within a couple of days. There's some maneuvering in those pages that would impress Senna.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Weren't they also sponsored by Visit Rwanda or something like that? I forget the details, but I'd be curious to see if Exile1968 (I'm assuming the numbers are his IQ then his age?) was as strident in his opposition to sportswashing then? And that's not whataboutery, I'm not saying sportswashing is ok because it was accepted before, but it's rank hypocrisy to crusade against sportswashing when it's purely directed at your erstwhile rivals.

In having a look on there, I found the page on one of their many NUFC threads where the takeover is rumoured then confirmed within a couple of days. There's some maneuvering in those pages that would impress Senna.

It was the really inherently moral and very charitable ‘invest in Africa’ shirt deal:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2167000/amp/Oil-giant-Sunderlands-20m-shirt-deal.html

I think you’ll recall all of the mass protests on Wearside from the time when they entered into that deal? 

They’re fucking mental like, they even have a thread on there about Reyna’s son with many saying “he will play for the lads one day, he’s a MLF” :lol:. He’s more likely to play for us ffs, in fact I hope we do buy him just to watch that website crash. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

He gets a lot of respect for the Bradley Lowery stuff (which he should from everyone, not just Sunderland fans). He did a decent job as a player for them when they were a struggling PL side and scored that excellent derby winner of course. He was past his best by then, which is the only reason he went there. Nowt against the fella but he was never that good anyway imo. In the scores goals but does nowt else mode. But I think the love is largely a one way thing, aye 

Aye, they’re absolutely desperate for a ‘name’ to play for them as someone else said iirc. That’s why they cling on to fairly standard/upper half players like Defoe, O’Shea, Malbranque, etc. They then weirdly act like there’s some reciprocal love like you mention, I think a lot of it is driven off players we had of a high standard like Solano, Lee etc that do care about NUFC. The bit they’re missing is that caring of NUFC is because it was their peak, they achieved great things and played in top quality, exciting sides, it’s not something inherent with NUFC like they try and ascribe to SAFC. 

They just simply never have relevant players that play for them. Any names they have are basically similar to when we got people like Kluivert, blokes who have achieved elsewhere looking for a pay day. 

I’m talking modern era, I’m sure some mackem if they saw this would prove me “wrong” by saying Aethelwulf who was the best player of his day (when the Vikings were sacking Lindisfarne) played on the far right side for them, and that King Aelle was a MLF, but honestly I don’t fucking care - they idolize Jermain Defoe ffs a one in 3/4 striker. 

Edited by Howay
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Howay said:

Aye, they’re absolutely desperate for a ‘name’ to play for them as someone else said iirc. That’s why they cling on to fairly standard/upper half players like Defoe, O’Shea, Malbranque, etc. They then weirdly act like there’s some reciprocal love like you mention, I think a lot of it is driven off players we had of a high standard like Solano, Lee etc that do care about NUFC. The bit they’re missing is that caring of NUFC is because it was their peak, they achieved great things and played in top quality, exciting sides, it’s not something inherent with NUFC like they try and ascribe to SAFC. 

They just simply never have relevant players that play for them. Any names they have are basically similar to when we got people like Kluivert, blokes who have achieved elsewhere looking for a pay day. 

I’m talking modern era, I’m sure some mackem if they saw this would prove me “wrong” by saying Aethelwulf son of Aethelread who was the best player of his day (when the Vikings were sacking Lindisfarne) played on the far right side for them, and that King Aelle was a MLF, but honestly I don’t fucking care - they idolize Jermain Defoe ffs a one in 3/4 striker. 

The mackems have worse sacking record than the vikings

• Haha 7

43 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

The mackems were also great at raping and pillaging to be fair but fucking shite at Luton. :good:

They're OK in winter weather but it all turns to shit when it starts to Thor. (sorry)

Norse, norse, medication time for Toonpack

• Haha 3