mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

It's nice watching them squirm whether he goes or not. I think Pickford & Defoe were keeping them up, ones out for two months the other would be an idiot not to leave if he gets a decent team to escape to..

Imagine Defoe is convinced to stay, the window shuts, and his ankle goes. 

No Defoe, no replacement, no hope.

:(

I don't think they'd be much better off if they sold him in the window.  There's no way they'd be able to persuade someone of the required quality to go there as his replacement even if they could afford it.

In Defoe's shoes, he'll be packing up and going home shortly anyway, he's 34. So the opportunity to move home a little bit sooner, to a better team, with a nice  signing on fee (the last one of his career). No brainer isn't it.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

I do think Defoe has an affection for Sunderland, but like you say; Last chance of a big move, moving close to home, moving back to a boyhood club, moving to a better team...

Why, out of interest, do you think he has an affection for Sunderland? Beyond any other player's affection for the club that's paying them millions, that is.

Partly the tears he shed in response to the ovation they gave him, the effort he's put in on the pitch, the vociferous celebrations. 

It could be nowt, but I just get the feeling he's not just happy to pick up a cheque. Compare him to, say, Kone or Khazri.

They love him there, it makes sense that he has an affection for the club

Aye - it's not like he has to do much for their affection. They're permanently shit, so long as he does enough to keep them up he'll be hero worshipped. 

I hope they keep him but still get relegated and he does have that rumoured clause that he can walk for fuck all which he promptly exercises and goes to West Ham on a free.

Just saw this on BBC:
"Sunderland striker Jermain Defoe, 34, would "probably rather be back in London", says his former team-mate Jermaine Jenas after a £6m bid from West Ham is turned down."

:lol: That'll go down like a wet fart on SMB. I know it's obvious but they'll no doubt be foaming over ex-maggie cunt Jenas saying it.

Edited by Howay

Apparently West Ham have gone back with £13m... that is staggering for a 34 year old, what are they on :lol: This has to be as much about relegating Sunderland as it is about Defoe.

It's certainly an interesting tactic like. I've got a mate who's a mackem and he's 100% Adam Ant, Prince Charming, stand and deliver, gun toting lunatic that Defoe is going nowhere.

Naturally it will hilarious if he does. If the mackems go down they are absolutely fucked, all for the sake of £13m :lol:

:lol:

Sounds like Sunderland have rejected it mind, which means this will all come down to whether or not Defoe hands in a Transfer Request. Still think you'll end up on the right side of this but I'm a bit amazed at West Ham's resolve...

:lol:

Sounds like Sunderland have rejected it mind, which means this will all come down to whether or not Defoe hands in a Transfer Request. Still think you'll end up on the right side of this but I'm a bit amazed at West Ham's resolve...

If West Ham are happy to offer more than Sunderland in wages, and Defoe doesn't believe Short is going to invest, he'll hand in a transfer request, I'm sure of it.

Will Sunderland accept that though, I guess is what this comes down to. They'd struggle not to, I think.

If Defoe wants to leave, I don't think there's much Sunderland can do;

They need him to play every game

They need him to put in the kinds of performances he has been

They can't drop him if his application dwindles and expect to survive

They can't afford to buy someone to challenge his starting place

They can't afford to let him see out his contract and leave for nothing

If he's denied a move his form will naturally decline, maybe he takes longer to get over an injury than he would if he was eager to play for them. Right now, if I were his representatives, I'd be telling him that he's a highly regarded, in form, industrious Premier League striker, but if he sees out his contract, he'll likely be a recently relegated out of contract 35yr old, Striker training with a Championship club. And should he get injured while busting his arse for a club that's odds-on to go down, that's the ballgame. Nobody is going to risk paying the £100k pw they're offering now, when there'll be plenty of options in the summer market.

If he wants to go all Sunderland can do is try and get as much as possible from West Ham, sell a couple of their other players like Kone (£15m), Khazri(£6m-£9m), maybe Pickford(£20m) and with the monies recouped from those sales(£55m), they could build a side that might stay up, but would be very well suited to win the Championship at the first time of asking if they don't.

I'm with you up until the point where £55m gives them a Championship winning side. I don't think it would... Certainly not with Sunderland track record.

But otherwise yeah, I think that's a good analysis. Certainly doesn't look worth the risk to Defoe, if he stays.