mackem messageboard gold

Gene_Clark

What's the craic with some of them hating Jimmy Hill? I heard something about him purposefully not trying to attack so he could keep a draw that would send SAFC down in the 70s or something like that. But why do they hate him?

In 76 coming to the last game they played Everton and Coventry played Bristol city. Only a mackem defeat and a draw in the other game would send them down. They duly lost 2-0 and of course the other game finished a bit late. It got to 2-2 and they allege that under Hill's control both teams stopped trying and supposedly even passed to each other which is hilarious if true. Of course their result is barely mentioned.

I disliked Hill for quite a few reasons but he's nowhere near the "no loss" category never mind worthy of a celebration.

That photos of them celebrating our relegation needs posting here http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/damien-duff-retires.1175805/

:lol: Pretty impressive that they have so much hatred towards a bloke that didn't really do much to them other than happen to play for us for a bit.

Edit: Unless I'm missing something? Oh it's also fantastic that a bloke posted a pic of a potato, an obvious and genius dig (I guess) at the fact Duff is Irish, while having an Irish blokes face as his avatar.

Edited by Howay

• 4 weeks later...

The Secret Footballer hates them as well :lol: Can't be arsed to find the thread over there but he says nobody in respects them :lol:

He was going on about the drinking culture there a while back and how he wasn't at all surprised by the Johnson revelations. Said something along the lines of it would be reported more but for the fact no one outside the area is interested in what goes on there.

Does he say anything about Newcastle?

I've never seen anything that sticks long in the memory. Certainly nothing as scathing as the bit about sunderland. He's consistent in his criticism of the culture at that club, and it appears to be supported by the odd story that does make it into the mainstream media.

I've never seen anything that sticks long in the memory. Certainly nothing as scathing as the bit about sunderland. He's consistent in his criticism of the culture at that club, and it appears to be supported by the odd story that does make it into the mainstream media.

Ah OK cheers. My brother got me the book for Christmas actually but I haven't started it yet - I'm still reading Touching Distance, which is absolutely class