Muamba

ADP

Guest CabayeAye

People are entitled to send whatever well wishes they want be it prayer or simply keeping someone else in their thoughts.

Religion to me has always been something that should be personal rather than forced on atheism, the same is true of atheist wumming too which is becoming quite a popular past time nowadays.

At least Atheists only WUM. Disagree with someone who is religious and they will burn you at the stake or try and wipe your race out.

Oh aye, there's extremes on both side which is nothing but cringeworthy. Not everyone is a religious zealot or a wannabe Richard Dawkins though.

But there's just something innate within hardcore atheism that projects a feeling of smug intellectual superiority that doesn't come across from religion. It all boils down to the fact neither side can be proven to be 100% right - even Dawkins has come out and begrudgingly said as much.

Spoken like the true agnostic that I am. ;)

How can you be a "true agnostic"?!

And by following that argument to it's conclusion, we should make provisions for every possible occurence because you can't 100% prove or disprove anything, i.e. the sun is a giant ball pushed by a beetle and Zeus is where lightning comes from. The evidence that there is no God (as defined in religious texts) is utterly and totally overwhelming. It's like arguing that the moon doesn't really exist and it's really an Alien illusion. All the evidence points away from it, but you can't 100% disprove it.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are entitled to send whatever well wishes they want be it prayer or simply keeping someone else in their thoughts.

Religion to me has always been something that should be personal rather than forced on atheism, the same is true of atheist wumming too which is becoming quite a popular past time nowadays.

At least Atheists only WUM. Disagree with someone who is religious and they will burn you at the stake or try and wipe your race out.

Oh aye, there's extremes on both side which is nothing but cringeworthy. Not everyone is a religious zealot or a wannabe Richard Dawkins though.

But there's just something innate within hardcore atheism that projects a feeling of smug intellectual superiority that doesn't come across from religion. It all boils down to the fact neither side can be proven to be 100% right - even Dawkins has come out and begrudgingly said as much.

agreed

Guest CabayeAye

Great to hear that he looks like he's on the way to recovering.

re. praying, if that's what some people want to do, no skin off my nose,

za za

Very good! :)

How can you be a "true agnostic"?!

And by following that argument to it's conclusion, we should make provisions for every possible occurence because you can't 100% prove or disprove anything, i.e. the sun is a giant ball pushed by a beetle and Zeus is where lightning comes from. The evidence that there is no God (as defined in religious texts) is utterly and totally overwhelming. It's like arguing that the moon doesn't really exist and it's really an Alien illusion. All the evidence points away from it, but you can't 100% disprove it.

The wink smiley was there for a reason! :D Therein lies the quandry as you've pointed out. If you're going to nit pick then aye, you could state that anything conceptual cannot be 100% disproven. Hence why there's now a religious following of the Flying Spaghetti monster. However i'd still say that I can't be anything other than agnostic towards whether there is a God or not.

Regarding this disproof of the 'Christian' God though, where is this evidence of which you speak? I know plenty of Christians who would argue there's evidence he does exist (in fact I was a little irritated at a carol service last year when the speaker told us all about compelling evidence that Jesus was real, only to not tell us anything further...which is what you've just done). You're not going to convince a devout christian or atheist when they have their own interpretations of 'evidence'.

For me it's as I said previously - belief is one of the most personal aspects of being human as only we truly know what we feel. I'd be wasting my time trying to tell you all what I do or do not believe because ultimately it won't affect any of you. If people want to pray for Muamba or wish him well, then that's fine. The exact same sentiment of hoping a young man recovers from a freak heart attack is still there regardless of whether you believe in God or not.

But then again, you think Perch should start at CB so I could discredit anything you say regarding other matters. ;)

Drunkenly yelled at and unfollowed Ricky Gervais when he was being a smug twat about it.

I don't believe but I don't take the piss out of people who do. Just doesn't seem right to mock.

Good to hear Muamba is making something of a recovery though.

I follow the Global Secular Humanist Movement on Facebook because it often has an amusing thought or two for the day. One recent one was a picture of a young doctor in the style of a motivational poster saying something like "7 years of med school and you thank God when I save your life!"

I'm not a militant atheist. I'm an agnostic but I can't believe how many supposedly sane religious people pray for the most trivial of things (ie when they run onto a footall pitch etc). If I actually did believe in a God who answered prayers then I'd be ashamed to ask for anything while there are still so many people suffering.

I'm not cocky with it though like so many atheists seem to be. Everything in this universe is ultimately a mystery and we are merely passing through.

That said I am absolutely delighted that he seems to be on the mend. He seems like a lovely fella.

Drunkenly yelled at and unfollowed Ricky Gervais when he was being a smug twat about it. I don't believe but I don't take the piss out of people who do. Just doesn't seem right to mock.
Absolutely. He's seemingly crawled up his own arse lately.

Drunkenly yelled at and unfollowed Ricky Gervais when he was being a smug twat about it. I don't believe but I don't take the piss out of people who do. Just doesn't seem right to mock.

I don't have a problem with anyone practicing their religion and keeping it to themselves or sharing it with people who ask to get involved. Anyone that does probably won't get mocked by Ricky Gervais either. But if someone says to me "Pray for Muamba" I think it's fair to respond to that request with whatever level of scorn I see fit.

Edited by Happy Face

I don't have a problem with anyone practicing their religion and keeping it to themselves or sharing it with people who ask to get involved. Anyone that does probably won't get mocked by Ricky Gervais either. But if someone says to me "Pray for Muamba" I think it's fair to respond to that request with whatever level of scorn I see fit.

You should be smarter than to fall into that trap though. American politics (and ours to an extent) has just become an eternal cycle of thinking the other side is stupid. It degenerates into "you're wrong, no you're wrong.....no YOU'RE WRONG" which I think we can do better than as a supposedly intelligent species. Replacing religious dogma with atheist dogma doesn't move us very far forward. Keep religion out of education, politics and abattoirs, respect other people's views and don't allow anyone to enforce theirs on you either. Planet = happy.

Guest CabayeAye

I'm not going to type out evidence because:

1. I'm at work.

2. I'm on my iPhone.

3. I could easily write a dissertation on it!

So instead of boring everyone with long and detailed arguments, I'll just throw some key words out there:

Lack of miracles, no divine intervention, observation of our atmosphere, space travel, big bang theory, multiverse theory, gravitational synthesis of singularities, Bible was written by mentalists in the dark ages, human nature's belief of wishes over truth, lots more, going to go back to work...

You should be smarter than to fall into that trap though. American politics (and ours to an extent) has just become an eternal cycle of thinking the other side is stupid. It degenerates into "you're wrong, no you're wrong.....no YOU'RE WRONG" which I think we can do better than as a supposedly intelligent species. Replacing religious dogma with atheist dogma doesn't move us very far forward. Keep religion out of education, politics and abattoirs, respect other people's views and don't allow anyone to enforce theirs on you either. Planet = happy.

Atheists should be clever enough to turn the other cheek, set the christians an example.

I'm not going to type out evidence because:

1. I'm at work.

2. I'm on my iPhone.

3. I could easily write a dissertation on it!

So instead of boring everyone with long and detailed arguments, I'll just throw some key words out there:

Lack of miracles, no divine intervention, observation of our atmosphere, space travel, big bang theory, multiverse theory, gravitational synthesis of singularities, Bible was written by mentalists in the dark ages, human nature's belief of wishes over truth, lots more, going to go back to work...

That's why it's a "faith".

2000 year old collection of desert scribblings. You might as well have been a baby raper!

:lol:

With all due respect, FUCK RELIGION, have the courage and responsibility to accept you are here once and that if you share any time with anyone important it is a gift of chance, just as your life is.

In the Congo they also have a fairly strong associated belief in witch doctors and kill people on the strength of this belief, should we respect that too? Beliefs based on nothing are massively dangerous as faith somehow manages to trump almost all other human constructs.

Those militant atheists are trying to shake humanity from it's adolescent tethers, religions are the acne of our species and it's time to accept the Oxy 10 of collective responsibility, shared experience and universal truth. We are all one but religion, bizarrely and counter-productively, suggests the opposite.

Religion, because of it close association with our 'meaning' or need for meaning has achieved an UNTOUCHABLE status, it's not even open for genuine debate as to what a load of old bollocks it is. Worse than the Royal Family which we all accept as being okay, no need for a debate about abolishing that archaic bullshit either (and at the minute is almost taking on cultish proportions itself). What is worse than that is it has wrestled for itself morality and spiritual growth, leaving the state to utterly ignore these things which is ABHORRENT. Why the fuck we don't do ANYTHING at all about genuine human growth, community responsibility, mutual understanding...it's just ignored and lumped in with being a worshipper of one or other things you are born into. Outrageous and demonstrates the state just want to educate you to be a cog in the machine, not to be a well rounded and beautiful spirit.

Religion is adolescence. Cosmic spirituality is the path.

Get well soon to anyone who falls ill, be they on television or homeless, rich or poor, black or white. Obviously. Pray to Science as it's done far more for humanity than any flying spaghetti monster ever has.

Too much coffee, tbh.

Edited by trophyshy