Check my Maths

Monkeys Fist

Right then chaps,

I've been asked to price a job which is painting a tubular duct above a swimming pool. To calculate the amount of paint needed, I need to work out the surface area of the duct.

Dimensions are;

duct diameter= 1m (2r)

duct length = 120m. (H)

The formula for surface area of a cylinder is 2(pi r2 ) + 2(pi r) H.

(The first part is to calculate the ends of the cylinder, which doesn't apply in this case as the duct starts and finishes at a wall.)

So, putting the dimensions into that , I get 2x( 3.14 x 0.5m )x 120 , or more simply 3.14 x 120, which is 376.8m2

That's for a straight cylinder. there a a few bends and outlet boxes, so I've added 10m2 and rounded it up to get 390m2.

Firstly, have I used the right formula, secondly, have I calculated it correctly?

Cheers

Edited by Monkeys Fist

Yeah, the formula is right. To visualise it easily, I just think of it as a rectangle laid out flat (as if you've cut a line down a toilet roll and laid it flat).

Height of the rectangle is 120m as you said.

Length is just the circumference of the tube. Circumference is Pi * diameter. (3.14 * 1 = 3.14)

So your sum of 120 * 3.14 is just the height * length of a rectangle and is spot on.

Edited by Happy Face