The Media calling Man. U. 'united'. .

Davey Dave

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's disrespectful when another 'United' plays ManUre to only address ManUre as such.

As has been said I don't mind so much until I hear it in commentary against us or some OOT makes the rest of us OOTs look bad by saying it.

Couldn't give a fuck. They're the best known United throughout the country and the world so it's to be expected.

Thats the point though....if you're from Manchester its ok to call them "United", but the media has promoted the use of it as a brand. Probably unintentional to begin with but with jobs in the football media increasing by fuck knows how many per cent in the last 20 years its now the accepted term. Its fuckin lazy, innacurate journalism in the first place which has lead to the media unwhittingly contributing to a huge commercial success story which a lot of their success has been built on. And the "club" itself has ruthlessly exploited the events of Munich 58 for its own gain as well, all to increase the "brand" around the world. In this regard theyre one of the most morally repugnent institutions this country has seen in the last half century.

Locally based toon fans used to generally call Newcastle "United". I remember the 9596 season when we should've won the league, we played them at OT near Christmas, Martin Tyler went "it's United against Newcastle next LIIIIIIIIIVE", at the time it pissed a lot of people off, and it was a regular thing.

Danny Simpson does it all the time, I told him it offends some toon fans considering he plays for us, but he continues to do it, you'd think if it offended one he would stop but nah he doesn't.

Couldnt care less tbh. I think us being bothered would only give the MU fans something to sing about.

I think y they've got enough to lord over us without using the united term to mock.

Have you heard their fans when they play us? I guarantee if you give them anything they will make a song about it. They still bang on about shearer and made their own version of Blaydon Races.

Danny Simpson does it all the time, I told him it offends some toon fans considering he plays for us, but he continues to do it, you'd think if it offended one he would stop but nah he doesn't.

Honestly, anyone who gets offended by it has a huge problem with perspective.

Honestly, anyone who gets offended by it has a huge problem with perspective.

Gemmill has a point here. Simpson grew up playing for and supporting Man Utd. Telling him to stop calling them 'United' is akin to someone asking you to stop calling NUFC 'The Toon' Stevie. On that level it makes no odds....

When they're called it in a game v us it fucking boils my piss. Can't understand any Mag not being bothered when you've grown up we're we've been referred locally as United. Their fans saying it doesn't bother me. Other fans doing it need to stop blowing smoke up their arses to be honest.

Well its ignorance on their part isnt it? I'd kick one of our fans doing it in the bollocks. But anyone not a NUFC fan I can understand as the media would have you believe they the only Utd in the UK.

Nick Frost, a west ham UNITED fan, called Man U. 'united' on twitter a while back and I had a go at him for it. I've since natured about the whole situation since then.

Fair enough, they generally don't call themselves that but if you're a fan of a united team you wouldn't refer to other teams as such, would you?

When they're called it in a game v us it fucking boils my piss. Can't understand any Mag not being bothered when you've grown up we're we've been referred locally as United. Their fans saying it doesn't bother me. Other fans doing it need to stop blowing smoke up their arses to be honest.

This tbh. It bothers me most when Newcastle fans refer to Man U as 'United', I've no problem with Man utd fans calling them United as I refer to Newcastle as United sometimes. The media are tossers when it comes to it but it does mainly irk me if they're playing another 'United' team and being honest it's one of the less annoying things sky pundits do (fawning over Man utd and Liverpool being worse), still a bit annoying especially when as already noted they're not even an actual United.

Suppose it's like fans of other 'City' clubs when Man City get referred to as City.

It's the curse of the 'also ran' unfortunately. Perhaps when we win the CL four or five times, and get more league titles and cups we can criticise the media for it. imo it's as pointless as being bothered about us being referred to as "Noocarsel" by most commentators.

It's the curse of the 'also ran' unfortunately. Perhaps when we win the CL four or five times, and get more league titles and cups we can criticise the media for it. imo it's as pointless as being bothered about us being referred to as "Noocarsel" by most commentators.

except that its been going on for decades

except that its been going on for decades

....as has our 'barren' spell. We've a little lower profile than them since the 1950's, no?

I hate it when it's used when we're playing them,

It's okay when Mancs or Scouse Cunts use it.

It's fucking abysmal when you hear people in London use it - I know all the jokes about them being a London club but just fuck off.