NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont think they would let Simpson go unless they were confident of replacing him. Ive never been a big fan of Best but he did score the odd decent goal. But him Ranger and Lovekrands (and Xisco) simply are not good enough and we need a good forward in.

Most important contract of Simpson's career and they're not offering him the numbers he thinks he's worth. I'm sure he's overvaluing his worth, but by the same token I'm sure the club is undervaluing his worth too, so you can't blame him for running it down and leaving for better money.

Most important contract of Simpson's career and they're not offering him the numbers he thinks he's worth. I'm sure he's overvaluing his worth, but by the same token I'm sure the club is undervaluing his worth too, so you can't blame him for running it down and leaving for better money.

Are Simpson and his agent looking at what Colo was offered to stay and taking that as what his offer should be?...hed be a foolish boy if he was comparing himself wage wise with his captain. Cant see Colo going from 50+(?) to less than 40...if he was offered a redueced contract like Nolan and Barton that is....but Simpson isnt worth that sort of money for me. But when you work day to day doing the same job as someone on bigger money than you are then you're not happy weather you work in an office or play football. Fact of life I reckon.

I don't think he earns that much (relatively speaking obv), does he? This might be the first instance of what becomes a recurring problem with the less than essential players at the club, as Ashley looks to squeeze the more marginal players for wage bill savings.

At the end of the day, this contract probably makes a huge difference to what is a long retirement, so if he can get more cash elsewhere, fair play to him. We could do a lot worse than him though.

15k p/w. My heart bleeds!

He's been a stalwart in our defence for the past few seasons but Perch has unbelievably shown that he can provide cover at full back with some convincing performances.

I'd imagine if Simpson leaves then we're signing a LB and pushing Santon to the right, with Tavernier given a couple of games here and there and Perchenbauer able to step in on both sides if needed. I'd be happy with that tbh.

Have QPR actually signed Taiwo? If not we should definitely be after him.

£10kpw according to his plea in court against his driving ban last year. Hardly peanuts but easily the lowest paid player in the first XI and played more games than anyone else

Edited by J69

£10kpw according to his plea in court against his driving ban last year. Hardly peanuts but easily the lowest paid player in the first XI and played more games than anyone else

Aye, and Gurthrie was about £6k. They're obviously stating their basic wage, I'm guessing they earn a few quid in bonuses and image rights.

I do quite like Simpson generally but when Perch is coming into your position and looking all together more solid, you've got to expect your days are numbered. I think we're more likely to see Santon at LB and see a RB brought in IMO.

As for Besty, few decent games here and there, won us some of them but I'll always have a bit of time for him because of sheer graft alone. Just sadly not good enough and as said, too injury prone to be relied on to provide cover. Hopefully we see a young, hungry striker come in to be understudy to the double Dembas.

Thanks to Simpson for what he's done for us over the last three years but unfortunately he hasn't actually improved very much. He's a reliable player but certainly not top of the table material. Hopefully we've got somebody of the ilk of recent signings lined up (maybe Pieters).

Bit gutted for Leon Best, Pards has clearly been happy to see him go in both of the last two transfer windows and again this time, which surprises me as he always grafts when he's on the pitch and puts in a fantastic shift. He's clearly not Demba or Papiss quality but I think he's a good lad to have around. He keeps the ball well, can show good industry to get into decent positions and occasionally has one hell of a finish on him. Presumably, though, we'll have the Dembas, Shola as back up and one more will be coming in for back up - maybe someone young and hungry who can fill in at ACN time. I wonder if Ranger will be given another chance...

Thanks to Simpson for what he's done for us over the last three years but unfortunately he hasn't actually improved very much. He's a reliable player but certainly not top of the table material. Hopefully we've got somebody of the ilk of recent signings lined up (maybe Pieters).

Bit gutted for Leon Best, Pards has clearly been happy to see him go in both of the last two transfer windows and again this time, which surprises me as he always grafts when he's on the pitch and puts in a fantastic shift. He's clearly not Demba or Papiss quality but I think he's a good lad to have around. He keeps the ball well, can show good industry to get into decent positions and occasionally has one hell of a finish on him. Presumably, though, we'll have the Dembas, Shola as back up and one more will be coming in for back up - maybe someone young and hungry who can fill in at ACN time. I wonder if Ranger will be given another chance...

Agree with what's in bold there. Bye bye Simpson.

Simpson has been reliable up to a level but really that level isn't quite good enough. Yes he's cleared a few off the line but he's been caught out of position a lot too and he really doesn't offer a great deal going forward (he gets up there but I can't think of many occasions where delivered anything of any use into the box). I'd happily keep him as a squad player but he clearly sees himself as more and wants to be paid accordingly. I think we're right as a club to make a stance on how far we'll go in paying squad players although I hope we won't be trying to do it so cheaply that are squad players are only up to the standard they are now which we all agree isn't good enough. Getting the likes of Smith and Xisco off the payroll would no doubt help this. For their combined weekly wage you could have four players on around the £25k mark which you would think would be attractive enough for the type of squad player we would be looking at.

Best on the other hand is garbage and the sooner we get rid the better. I cringe everytime I see him on the pitch. His effort is there but quite simply his ability and brain don't match up to it which means that the runs he does make end up being either to nowhere or offside. I am more than convinced that had Shola started as many games as him he would have comfortably beaten the four goals best has scored and provided a few for others along the way. And Shola's no great shakes either.

For some reason though I think we might be able to get a bit of cash for Best which we could put to much better use on a young striker who has the chance to improve and provide a bit of backup/competition going forward for Ba and Cisse.

As an aside, Perchenbauer doesn't know if he'll still be here next season - from the horses mouth btw.

Pity really, we've just become related (Our new pup is his pup's half sister) ;):D

As an aside, Perchenbauer doesn't know if he'll still be here next season - from the horses mouth btw.

Pity really, we've just become related (Our new pup is his pup's half sister) ;):D

Well go on then, what else did he say.?...is he being sold/not offered a new deal or is he wanting to leave?

Well go on then, what else did he say.?...is he being sold/not offered a new deal or is he wanting to leave?

T'was my Mrs he spoke to.

What else he said was "The chewing is a nightmare but Vic's vapour rub on your skirting boards is the absolute top anti-chewing tip I've been given" "It's great"

:D

"Don't know if I'll be at Newcastle next season" was the only NUFC related thing he said.

Aye current team is full of crap isn't it !!!!

wages is directly correlated with success, not transfer fees. People in all walks of life move for money. There will come a point where if they/you want to progress further you have to pay the money, either to keep or replace with similar quality, but I'm not going to argue this point with you.

Lets hope we keep all our best players and add quality like we did in January, which showed how it is done. Interesting to see comments about Simpson and Guthrie. Personally I think as we are competing in 4 competitions next season I think we should keep both.

wages is directly correlated with success, not transfer fees. People in all walks of life move for money. There will come a point where if they/you want to progress further you have to pay the money, either to keep or replace with similar quality, but I'm not going to argue this point with you.

Not worth arguing because it's your usual utter garbage.

Wrong way round, success breeds the ability to pay higher wages.