NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Demba was on Goals On Sunday a few months ago when asked who was the most vocal in the dressing room Shola was ya man like . I was pretty surprised at that, but moreover I was pleased .

Cliched etc. but having local folk behind the scenes constantly instilling and reminding the players 'what its all about' is priceless .

I think Carver did a lot to tweek Pardew's media side for the better too .

Having always been a deliberate fighter, Foreman had not lost much mobility in the ring since his first "retirement," although he found it harder to keep his balance after throwing big punches and could no longer throw rapid combinations. He was still capable of landing heavy, single blows, however. Ironically, the late-rounds fatigue that had plagued him in the ring as a young man now seemed to be gone, and he could comfortably compete for 12 rounds. Foreman attributed this to his new, relaxed fighting style (he has spoken of how, earlier in his career, his lack of stamina came from an enormous amount of nervous tension).

Who does that remind you of? Shola was essentially semi-retired after his first hip surgery. He was plagued by nerves, and that anxiety was only made worse by playing in the shadow of Alan Shearer. Now that era is gone, and Shola has been subject to a rebirth, an apotheosis into a demi-God figure capable of tearing apart the meanest defence, whilst chewing an apple and wearing a hat at a funny angle.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

15 or 20mins here or there has been perfect for him. He's turned in to a bit of a mountain. When we are done with the flair players its handy to bring him on to tighten things up a bit. Not going to score a lot but he's canny at holding it up etc.

I have no problem in him retaining that role next season. My worry is more if we lose Cisse and Ba to the ACN for example that we are relying on Shola for 90mins. For that reason I think it crucial that if Smith, Ranger and Lovenkrands go (id also get rid of Best) that we replace these 4 with a decent forward to compete with the front two.

The thing I've noticed is Shola seems to have really bulked up and got stronger these days. He used to get knocked over or give away crap fouls through his lack of presence but my impression is he doesn't do that much anymore. Actually seems a decent outlet these days when the clock's running down.

I don't think they'll all leave like. There's a lot going off the wage bill this summer. I'm guessing here: Simpson 15k, Harper 35k (?), Smith 60k, Lovenkrands 10k, Best 10k possibly. You're looking at over 100k worth of weekly wages, which would easily accomodate two or three decent signings like Pieters.

There can't be many of our players that haven't been linked with moves away this summer :lol:

Jonas and Steven Taylor might the only one staying at this rate.

15 or 20mins here or there has been perfect for him. He's turned in to a bit of a mountain. When we are done with the flair players its handy to bring him on to tighten things up a bit. Not going to score a lot but he's canny at holding it up etc.

I have no problem in him retaining that role next season. My worry is more if we lose Cisse and Ba to the ACN for example that we are relying on Shola for 90mins. For that reason I think it crucial that if Smith, Ranger and Lovenkrands go (id also get rid of Best) that we replace these 4 with a decent forward to compete with the front two.

Plus it's handy to have him for the two mackem games a season.

Newcastle+United+v+Sunderland+Premier+League+6pEUVx-_vtYl.jpg

Shola-Sunderland2.jpg

Shame for Leon as he played an important part at the start of the season. The Simpson things must be down to his contract discussions as he played 40 games on the bounce for us and whatever you think of him he's played in one of our best defences for years.

The Simpson thing can also be viewed as a sure sign that they have a replacement for him lined up, and I take it that is more than likely to be Pieters with Santon actually taking the right back spot?.... Also it would appear that someone has offered Simpson more than 25k a week. I wonder if we qualify for the champions league if he'll have a change of heart on signing his contract offer?.... think Dekka would laugh in his agent's face if they tried to pull that shit..