NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

A similar run should generate us more than that if the fans get behind it and go to the games.

I think the club would do cheap ticket deals for the Europa League this time round as well as well which would help in terms of getting numbers at the matches.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Baggio's post no. 692, about the differences between the champions league and the europa league:

“If you can get there and get a couple of wins in the group stages you are talking about substantial amounts of money. It is £600,000 for a win in the group stages – and that is just prize money.

“Newcastle will actually make more money from winning a couple of games than if they win the Europa League, which is a sobering statistic. It is a massive, massive difference.

“Rangers made something in the region of £17.5million by making it through to the group stages a couple of years ago.

Top 4 is what we need, anything other than that is likely to be not worth it financially. Fuckin sad state of affairs, but there you go. Thats UEFA for you.

Fulham made £12 million from their UEFA cup run the other year so it's definitely worth it.

A similar run should generate us more than that if the fans get behind it and go to the games.

Done a bit of digging, and you're spot on

Nevertheless, the Europa League does provide much needed revenue for many clubs at a time when clubs’ finances are being scrutinised more than ever before.

In 2009/10 Fulham’s run to the Europa League final, where they ultimately lost in extra time to Atlético de Madrid, generated £12.5m, 16% of the club’s revenue for that season.

From this very good article on the subject: http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_GB/uk/industries/sportsbusinessgroup/sports/football/deloitte-football-money-league/3dd395aa0c415310VgnVCM1000001a56f00aRCRD.htm

I think the club would do cheap ticket deals for the Europa League this time round as well as well which would help in terms of getting numbers at the matches.

A few clubs have been doing package deals over the past few years. 3 games for £30, that kind of thing.

He's on about £4k a week isn't he? (Came out in court when he was done for speeding or drink driving). Alan Smith on the other hand :lol:

Edit: Wrong thread, I meant Guthrie.

Edited by Hank

IIRC I think we did the three group games of the CL as a £71 package for the Leazes in 02/03. Would imagine it would be nearer £90 or £100 this time. We must sell out though. I remember against Feyenoord there was only 41,000 there, makes us look like mugs.

A lot of it is down to UEFA faffing on with the Stadium though isn't it?

I'm fairly sure the capacity goes down when it's been used for Champions League.

Nah, lots of people didn't buy tickets for all the CL games because the scheme was something like you had to buy one ticket or three as a package or something like that.

A lot of it is down to UEFA faffing on with the Stadium though isn't it?

I'm fairly sure the capacity goes down when it's been used for Champions League.

51,300 was the capacity UEFA limited it to and we only got that against Inter and Barca. Even against Juventus FC there was only 48,000 in, and they were one of THE biggest clubs in Europe at the time. We beat them and they went to the final.

I definitely recall Juventus being a sell out but there wasn't 52k there, closer to 47k.

They definitely move stuff about! I was in Leazes for Leverkusen & Juventus, Milburn for Inter & I can't remember where I was for Feyenoord. I didn't get any kind of package deal or did I? It was a while back!

I definitely recall Juventus being a sell out but there wasn't 52k there, closer to 47k.

They definitely move stuff about! I was in Leazes for Leverkusen & Juventus, Milburn for Inter & I can't remember where I was for Feyenoord. I didn't get any kind of package deal or did I? It was a while back!

You didn't HAVE to but it was more expensive. Was £81 for three games £27 a game, and if you just wanted to go was about £35. I think £100 would be fair enough this time, seeing the likes of Barcelona. I'd LOVE to get Celtic, I'd fuckin love it, shame the cunts rarely get out the quals these days though.

You didn't HAVE to but it was more expensive. Was £81 for three games £27 a game, and if you just wanted to go was about £35. I think £100 would be fair enough this time, seeing the likes of Barcelona. I'd LOVE to get Celtic, I'd fuckin love it, shame the cunts rarely get out the quals these days though.

The only ticket I still have - Levurkusen - says £27 - so I must have got the deal I suppose!

Nah there's no drink in the ground.

I remember a queue out of what was like a shed at the back of the stand in the Olympic Stadium in Munich and dozens of mags bought 'bavarian beer' only to discover that it was 'alkoholfrei'

I bet it cost a small fortune too! :lol:

As I child going to these games I was annoyed they took the tops of your bottle of pop away before giving you it, So after ten minutes you have fizzless pop. :thumbdown:

This drink ban for European games only applies to British grounds you know. It's a fucking disgrace. When I was at Euro 2000, England fans were seen as the number one threat and they let us sit merrily drinking pints in our seats.

This drink ban for European games only applies to British grounds you know. It's a fucking disgrace. When I was at Euro 2000, England fans were seen as the number one threat and they let us sit merrily drinking pints in our seats.

It's banned at the 2012 Euros as well.

imagine what the atmosphere would be like if you get pissed up in your seat at the match. you'd get plenty fucking off for beer pisses in the middle of the game mind.

imagine what the atmosphere would be like if you get pissed up in your seat at the match. you'd get plenty fucking off for beer pisses in the middle of the game mind.

There is nuw! Hank they must've just changed that policy because you could at Euro 2008 too.