England Squad

Kid Dynamite

So Peace is going with a young and inexperienced squad apparently. Except 95% of them have already played for England and by and large looked shit. Frazier Campbell gets in but Alex Ox Chamberlain doesnt? Danny Graham has done more to deserve a place than Campbell!

He's a total footballing dinosaur, no wonder we're so far behind the likes of Germany when it comes to youth development when you have this cave man in charge of the U21s.

The Squad Goalkeepers: Scott Carson (Bursaspor), Joe Hart (Manchester City), Robert Green (West Ham United). Defenders: Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Leighton Baines (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Micah Richards (Manchester City), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur). Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Ashley Young (Manchester United), Theo Walcott (Arsenal). Forwards: Darren Bent (Aston Villa), Fraizer Campbell (Sunderland), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United).

Oh yes, that's right...

"The FA's National School of Excellence is to be closed in two years' time following recommendations from the new technical director Howard Wilkinson, who wants the centre to be replaced with academies at leading clubs.

"
It's because the school has been such a great success that we have decided the time is right to change the system
" said Wilkinson, attending the school's annual caps day this afternoon.

:lol:

Dunno but aren't they building a new "academy" at Burton on Trent?

The Dutch and Spanish dont have a central academy. The French do. I don't think it makes much difference tbh, the talents either there or its not. And in the last 15 years I think England has produced loads of talented players. England turn up at tournaments knackered due to 38 very physical premier league games, overhyped by the press (although that has changed a bit) and clueless about how to play tournament football. Its our football culture to play aimless long balls into the opposistions box when we run out if ideas in the second half of games and that's not going to win us a major tournament as long as I've got a hole in my fuckin arse.

Edited by PaddockLad

Dunno but aren't they building a new "academy" at Burton on Trent?

The Dutch and Spanish dont have a central academy. The French do. I don't think it makes much difference tbh, the talents either there or its not. And in the last 15 years I think England has produced loads of talented players. England turn up at tournaments knackered due to 38 very physical premier league games, overhyped by the press (although that has changed a bit) and clueless about how to play tournament football. Its our football culture to play aimless long balls into the opposistions box when we run out if ideas in the second half of games and that's not going to win us a major tournament as long as I've got a hole in my fuckin arse.

Don't Germany have about 500 times as many coaches as we do? Kids Sunday league in the UK is basically run by window cleaners in their spare time across the land. Mad. I remember when I was 10 thinking my manager didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

Kids football still hasn't moved on from finding the 11 biggest kids you can to lump the ball forward. I see it every Saturday when I watch my little brother in law play. The coaches generally don't have a clue either and there's a massive culture of win at all costs

Yeah that's the club culture in The Netherlands as well. In Simon Kuper's latest book he says there's a saying among these cloggie "amateurs" that regularly turn out world class talent: "he knows as much about football as your average Englishman"

In the "Brilliant Orange" book that a few on here have read there's a chapter devoted to Sir Bob at PSV. Its noted that Sir Bob described every game in military terms, eg "its a battle", "you'd want him beside you in the trenches' etc etc...and it quotes one of his players as saying " Bobby Robson is a very nice man but I didn't learn much about football from him"

The Dutch talk too much, they all have an opinion. But there's an element of truth in this for me. We need to start playing football with our brains as much as we do with our hearts if we want to move on at international level. We do compare football games in this country to going into battle in the second world war, I do think that's true. The Dutch reckon we're obsessed with 1939-45. A lot of managerial press conferences are riddled with military references "dogs of war", "SAS strike force" etc etc...its in our culture to treat a game as a battle and not a game if chess. More brain,less brawn required. Look at Spain, they've got the best half dozen players in the world and none of them are above 5ft 9. Puyol isn't 6ft tall.Although they're brilliant footballers, they do have to play in a system that makes up for their lack of physical presence. There's so many different ways to think about football but we seem incapable of doing it. Doubt if it will change too much.

Campbell has come back after a very long term injury and scored a couple of goals for an in-form team. That's it. I'd have picked one of our lot before I picked him, as well as Oxlade-Chamberlain and 2 or 3 of the Swansea and Norwich boys.

To pick him on the basis of that is laughable Bet Pearce's reasoning is "well he was great for me a couple of years ago with the U21s".

Yeah that's the club culture in The Netherlands as well. In Simon Kuper's latest book he says there's a saying among these cloggie "amateurs" that regularly turn out world class talent: "he knows as much about football as your average Englishman"

In the "Brilliant Orange" book that a few on here have read there's a chapter devoted to Sir Bob at PSV. Its noted that Sir Bob described every game in military terms, eg "its a battle", "you'd want him beside you in the trenches' etc etc...and it quotes one of his players as saying " Bobby Robson is a very nice man but I didn't learn much about football from him"

The Dutch talk too much, they all have an opinion. But there's an element of truth in this for me. We need to start playing football with our brains as much as we do with our hearts if we want to move on at international level. We do compare football games in this country to going into battle in the second world war, I do think that's true. The Dutch reckon we're obsessed with 1939-45. A lot of managerial press conferences are riddled with military references "dogs of war", "SAS strike force" etc etc...its in our culture to treat a game as a battle and not a game if chess. More brain,less brawn required. Look at Spain, they've got the best half dozen players in the world and none of them are above 5ft 9. Puyol isn't 6ft tall.Although they're brilliant footballers, they do have to play in a system that makes up for their lack of physical presence. There's so many different ways to think about football but we seem incapable of doing it. Doubt if it will change too much.

as if it isn't blatantly apparent.

nb: i agree with your post

Gk: Hart, Ruddy, Foster or Robinson

Def: Richards, Walker, Cole, Baines, Jones, Smalling, Lescott, Dawson

Mid: Lennon, Johnson, Chamberlain, Young, Parker, Milner, Gerrard, Britton

Fwd: Rooney, Sturridge, Bent, Graham, Welbeck

thats an off the top of my head list of who id pick, though it would probably be different if my job was to research these players every day

I'd like to see Sinclair from Swansea - looks like a decent prospect. Can take a penalty too!

Robinson is a shit keeper tbh, never really understood why people rated him. Same with Carson although now it's become apparent that he's dire. Nice beard though.

Unsurprising to see a crap squad selection from Pearce, of course he was bound to pick mainly from his U21s!

Umbro say it's because of the red & white St.George's Flag.

It looks shit if you ask me & since 1872 the lions have always been blue, as well as the shorts a lot of the time.

Suddenly we've gone over the top with red & white...

exactly, went and had a look on the site I used when we discussed england kits on twitter a bit back and we've not had a red crest on the shirt ever

its blue lions/shield, red roses

why the FA can't say "no, turn it back its part of our heritage" I do not know, useless bunch of knackers

Yeh it doesn't really look like an England kit to me, perhaps a bad PES rip off but not a proper one.

Why have the last three been so plain anyway? One is a nice change, two is a luxury but after a third it's basically the same shirt. So since 2010 that's 3 shirts - £120+ for two tournaments if you are bothered about getting them. Which I'm not.

The kits have pretty much always been white/blue/red not just the colours of the flag anyway.

Perhaps it's an effort to seperate it from the Great Britain olympics team?