The Day The Promises Had To Stop

LeazesMag

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best NUFC book I've ever read, including the furious ones, has to be Mick Edmondson's 'Black & White White daft'. A book with different accounts from supporters of every game we played from 1979-1984. Not just the football but all the tales of days out and craic like that. Superb and genuinely laugh out loud at times. A bullshit free zone. I believe he's doing another one from 1984-1990. I hope so and can't wait to get it when it's done. Actually, it deserves its own review, all I'll say, if you're a supporter from the eighties onwards and remember the pissy brick wall that went by the name of the 'Gallowgate bogs', to the daft headlines from the Chronicle to the tales of home and away classics and you've never read this, then you must. I think my favourite tale involves a transit van, some lost and drunk Mags, a foolish abusive local and the van's piss and shit bucket. :lol:

Edited by Howmanheyman

Best NUFC book I've ever read, including the furious ones, has to be Mick Edmondson's 'Black & White daft'. A book with different accounts from supporters of every game we played from 1979-1984. Not just the football but all the tales of days out and craic like that. Superb and genuinely laugh out loud at times. A bullshit free zone. I believe he's doing another one from 1984-1990. I hope so and can't wait to get it when it's done.

Actually, it deserves its own review, all I'll say, if you're a supporter from the eighties onwards and remember the pissy brick wall that went by the name of the 'Gallowgate bogs', to the daft headlines from the Chronicle to the tales of home and away classics and you've never read this, then you must. I think my favourite tale involves a transit van, some lost and drunk Mags, a foolish abusive local and the van's piss and shit bucket. :lol:

on sale in The Back Page

I tend to prefer the fan books rather than anything else, what I like about most NUFC ones is I was there and recognise a lot of the tales and also, unlike the god awful hoolie books, (usually written by cockneys), you actually believe and enjoy what you're reading.

Anyone bought 'Newcastle United: The Ultimate Record' yet by Paul Joannou? I know it's more of a reference book but I fancy getting hold of a copy.

No, but I've a copy of a similar book he wrote when I was a young'un. Signed in the front by Mirandinha, Willie Mcfaul, (the real one ;) ) and Glenda the skipper when they were at a talk-in in Walker.

Aye, I know he's written a few other books on the club's history. Any good?

Just had a look and it's called 'The Newcastle United Story'..........................

................... By John Gibson! :lol:

(I think Joannou gets credited in it for a lot of the info). ;)

Mag For All Seasons was by far the better book imo.

Oh definitely.

And leazes, i generally don't read them. I get given those pocket sized 'nufc facts' type books which are not my cup of tea. If i want history i'll read me Joannu books.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned it but you may want to read Moneyball Leazes. Amazing book about making the 'small market' Oakland A's MLB team competitive. Best sports book i've ever read.

Mike Ashleys successor may need it. Although quite why even the 25th in the rich list needs to sell its best players and withhold the proceeds from its manager is quite beyond me, even Aston Villa have overtaken us under soopa Mike

http://aggbot.com/Newcastle-United-News/article/16130051

Ach. I've asked for this one, haven't I? :)

And Baggio, what put you off about him?

I just find him ideal in small doses, like his articles or blog for example.

His style was not something I could spend a Sunday afternoon reading without getting bored put it that way.