Ashley hoying cash into the yoof

Ayatollah Hermione

TOON owner Mike Ashley is believed to have ordered a major revamp at Newcastle United – in a move which sees the Magpies attempt to keep pace with some of Europe’s biggest clubs.

United ended the January transfer window last night as third-top spenders behind Chelsea and Queens Park Rangers after signing Papiss Cisse.

Although FC Twente’s Douglas is near the top of their transfer list this summer, Newcastle are looking to the future.

The Chronicle understands United are not only hoping to add a clutch of quality additions to the first-team pool this summer, but they will also put emphasis on the layers beneath Alan Pardew’s senior roster.

United have cleared the decks at the club’s Benton base with a host of younger players told they have no future at the club.

A United insider told the Chronicle: “The vision is for a brighter future at Newcastle.

“The owner is prepared to put money behind the latest project.

“It will give the club every chance to compete with clubs around Europe and beyond to make sure they can unearth some of the untapped talent which is clearly already out there.”

The brief to United’s scouting network is set to be intensified with talent from across the globe being lined up as part of an exciting new chapter in the club’s forward-thinking blueprint.

It means Toon players such as Hungarian international Tamas Kadar, Faroe Isles international Joan Edmundsson, Jeff Henderson, Greg McDermott, Patrick Nzuzi and Dan Taylor, Phil Airey – currently on loan at Gateshead – have been told to find new clubs, while Ryan Donaldson is also out of contract at the end of the season. The gulf in class between Newcastle’s second string and Manchester United was underlined last week in a 6-0 defeat which was one of the final deciding factors in a brave but exciting step forward.

Unlke when Kevin Keegan scrapped United’s reserves in the mid-1990s, this is a restructuring of the set-up.

However, Ashley’s vision is to lure more young stars to the club like Mehdi Abeid and Haris Vuckic, with several younger players set to come during the close season.

The Chronicle has also learned Newcastle’s owner is ready to back the plan with a kitty of up to £15m to be invested into the acquisition of talented youngsters from around Europe in the next few years, in a move which will excite some sections of fans.

While the release of a clutch of players considered to be in with a real shout of progression through the ranks will raise eyebrows, United boss Pardew and his backroom team are delighted by young prospects such as Remie Streete, Jak Alnwick and Paul Dummett coming through.

If they can get more along the lines of Vuckic and Abeid, it'll be cracking.

Is this the first time we've released some young players deemed not good enough by the club? Its certainly the first time its been spun like that...id be ashamed to put my name to that drivel.

aye, soopa Mike is treading new ground here, nobody else has ever done this. What a hero !!

The vision is to make the club like an Ajax, developing top top class players and selling them on for silly money, like they have done for 30 years. I suppose it'll be better than the last 5 years, but I don't think the ambition of the club stretches to being something like what Valencia were 10 years ago. I think Valencia is a good guide for what we should be, similar sized clubs, they've won two titles in the last 10 years.

Piss poor article that shows nothing really in terms of new and forward thinking. If we do have a budget set aside for bringing in talented youngsters all well and good. As long as it doesn't come at the expense of the budget for the first team. Of course "£15m over the next few years" could just equate to a million or so a season as far as we know!

The vision is to make the club like an Ajax, developing top top class players and selling them on for silly money, like they have done for 30 years. I suppose it'll be better than the last 5 years, but I don't think the ambition of the club stretches to being something like what Valencia were 10 years ago. I think Valencia is a good guide for what we should be, similar sized clubs, they've won two titles in the last 10 years.

It's a good guide to what we were, they had their very own FFS :nono:

"but the vast sums splashed out on mediocre players (e.g. Manuel Fernandes, bought for €18 million, sold for €2 million, and Nikola Žigić, bought for €14 million, sold for €7 million) and the constant changes in management (costing over €30 million in severance payments) were certainly down to him. His attempts to “live the dream” resulted in no major trophies, exacerbated by failure to qualify for the Champions League, and massive debts".

"they still carry a vast amount of debt. Soler’s excesses increased this from around €100 million when he took over to a crippling €550 million in 2009. Although this was reduced to €471 million in June 2010, it is still extremely high, only surpassed in Spain by Real Madrid €660 million and Barcelona €549 million, and those two clubs benefit from much higher revenue and greater borrowing capacity. In fact, Valencia’s annual revenue of €102 million means that their debt cover is only 0.22, which is the weakest in La Liga.

The other particularly worrying aspect for Valencia is that a large amount of this debt is from bank loans with €249 million owed to Banaja – and most of that (€229 million) is short-term, so payable within a year. Apart from the standard trade creditors, accruals and provisions, Valencia also owe a large amount (€58 million) to other football clubs for transfer fees, while €31 million of the loan from local businesses remains".

Edited by Toonpack

"but the vast sums splashed out on mediocre players (e.g. Manuel Fernandes, bought for €18 million, sold for €2 million, and Nikola Žigić, bought for €14 million, sold for €7 million) and the constant changes in management (costing over €30 million in severance payments) were certainly down to him. His attempts to “live the dream” resulted in no major trophies, exacerbated by failure to qualify for the Champions League, and massive debts".

"they still carry a vast amount of debt. Soler’s excesses increased this from around €100 million when he took over to a crippling €550 million in 2009. Although this was reduced to €471 million in June 2010, it is still extremely high, only surpassed in Spain by Real Madrid €660 million and Barcelona €549 million, and those two clubs benefit from much higher revenue and greater borrowing capacity. In fact, Valencia’s annual revenue of €102 million means that their debt cover is only 0.22, which is the weakest in La Liga.

The other particularly worrying aspect for Valencia is that a large amount of this debt is from bank loans with €249 million owed to Banaja – and most of that (€229 million) is short-term, so payable within a year. Apart from the standard trade creditors, accruals and provisions, Valencia also owe a large amount (€58 million) to other football clubs for transfer fees, while €31 million of the loan from local businesses remains".

you're obsessed with debt rather than points. Are you sure you aren't that fool macbeth from Newcastle Online? How haven't all these clubs in "debt" ceased to exist ?

Still got a partially built new stadium on the go haven't they? I.e. one where the work keeps stopping because they're skint.

like we did in the 70's and 80's until you-know-who came along and got the job done.

you're obsessed with debt rather than points. Are you sure you aren't that fool macbeth from Newcastle Online? How haven't all these clubs in "debt" ceased to exist ?

There's a level of debt that inevitably effects your ability to acrue points.

Still got a partially built new stadium on the go haven't they? I.e. one where the work keeps stopping because they're skint.

like we did in the 70's and 80's until you-know-who came along and got the job done.

I don't see the comparison as being valid in this case like.

Yes all of those fuck ups were after 2004 when after they'd won two la liga's and reached two CL finals with the same chairman.

Bit like here though, you'd need a fucking huge investment to win the league there now.

Tottenham could win the league, they're no bigger than us on an even level playing field. Barcelona and Real Madrid are streets ahead in Spain right now, but with Valencia's 2003 team I doubt they would be, or even Deportivo in 2002.

There's a level of debt that inevitably effects your ability to acrue points.

and we qualified for europe and the Champions League more than every other club bar 4 in that period, by accruing more points than 87 other clubs.

Bit like here though, you'd need a fucking huge investment to win the league there now.

Tottenham could win the league, they're no bigger than us on an even level playing field. Barcelona and Real Madrid are streets ahead in Spain right now, but with Valencia's 2003 team I doubt they would be, or even Deportivo in 2002.

Quite. So much for being unable to challenge the bankrolled clubs if Spurs win the league .... in fact, they have pretty much shown what we ought to be doing at the very least already. Which is of course, precisely the same as we did under the previous regime who also had to challenge only one less bankrolled club than the present.

Edited by LeazesMag

van der Vaart was as good a transfer deal as you'll see, outside of our dodgy frees like Ba. Never in a million years would anyone expect van der Vaart to go to Tottenham or be able to fit in with their wage policy, but they thought well he can only say no. Next thing you know, he's taken a wage cut and agreed to go there for a transfer fee probably one third of his true value. That's called ambition, and they didn't care if they'd be ridiculed and they ended up with their man.

Point taken, Stevie. But within that context if Spurs win the league, it'll be a phenomenal achievement. I fancy them to just miss out though.